Low profile arrangement of Teensy + Audio shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan42

While I know you can stack a Teensy board on top of a Teensy audio shield using double insulated header pins as suggested on the audio shield page of this website, what about using ordinary single insulated header pins, as shown in the following photo?

teensy plus audio board.png

The motivation for wanting to do this is a lower vertical profile than the double insulator setup. But with the NXP microcontroller chip now in closer proximity above the DAC chip only an 1/8" or so vertically away (albeit not directly above - the NXP chip is towards the back of its board, and the DAC is towards the front of its board, so there is a horizontal offset), one could imagine interference from the microcontroller impacting the DAC chip, with possible undesirable noise.

Because the boards have to be soldered together to find out if this would work with low noise, it's basically a $40 experiment. So I'm wondering, has anybody tried this? I ask this question both for the Teensy 3.X/Rev C audio shield combo as well as the Teensy 4.0/Rev D audio shield combo.

I realize you could also get a low vertical profile by setting the two boards side by side, and use short wires to connect them or make a custom PCB to mount both side by side. I really would not want to go either of these routes. Vertically stacking the boards seems so much easier and less costly. Just wishing for as low as profile as possible.

Thanks for any insight.

Just a thought... If you do have problems with crosstalk, try a piece of tinfoil to go in the gap, laminated with a copper wire (bad metallurgy there, so keep it dry!) stretched across it and connected to ground. The little credit card sized laminator pockets are cheap, and can be activated with a steam iron (no steam, set to cotton temp) and sandwich between paper while ironing.

I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try if you find there are issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back