Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Low profile arrangement of Teensy + Audio shield?

Low profile arrangement of Teensy + Audio shield?

While I know you can stack a Teensy board on top of a Teensy audio shield using double insulated header pins as suggested on the audio shield page of this website, what about using ordinary single insulated header pins, as shown in the following photo?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	teensy plus audio board.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	199.0 KB 
ID:	18776

The motivation for wanting to do this is a lower vertical profile than the double insulator setup. But with the NXP microcontroller chip now in closer proximity above the DAC chip only an 1/8" or so vertically away (albeit not directly above - the NXP chip is towards the back of its board, and the DAC is towards the front of its board, so there is a horizontal offset), one could imagine interference from the microcontroller impacting the DAC chip, with possible undesirable noise.

Because the boards have to be soldered together to find out if this would work with low noise, it's basically a $40 experiment. So I'm wondering, has anybody tried this? I ask this question both for the Teensy 3.X/Rev C audio shield combo as well as the Teensy 4.0/Rev D audio shield combo.

I realize you could also get a low vertical profile by setting the two boards side by side, and use short wires to connect them or make a custom PCB to mount both side by side. I really would not want to go either of these routes. Vertically stacking the boards seems so much easier and less costly. Just wishing for as low as profile as possible.

Thanks for any insight.

I use this arrangement all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by WMXZ View Post
    I use this arrangement all the time.
    Great! I guess I can go ahead and build up one with this arrangement and give it a go. Thanks!

Just a thought... If you do have problems with crosstalk, try a piece of tinfoil to go in the gap, laminated with a copper wire (bad metallurgy there, so keep it dry!) stretched across it and connected to ground. The little credit card sized laminator pockets are cheap, and can be activated with a steam iron (no steam, set to cotton temp) and sandwich between paper while ironing.

I've never tried it, but it might be worth a try if you find there are issues.

Is it suffient to solder the used pins?