Where can I find the .json file for Arduino pluggable discovery feature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mogplus8

I would like to use XOD (fun ide) to program my Teensy. It supports a board discovery function like Arduino, but needs a .json file set up like some of the examples I've seen in some of the Teensy pages. But I have not been able to discover where to download the full .json file from, if indeed it exists at all. I have Arduino 1.8.10 installed and Teensyduino (on Linux 64), but that didn't propagate to XOD. I know XOD uses lots of Arduino stuff under the bonnet (or hood, if you are in the US of A) so I thought that it might have discovered it from there, but alas no. So if anyone can point me to the .json file, that would be great.
Thanks, Ian

You're asking for pluggable discovery JSON, but from the context of the question, it sounds like you really mean the package index JSON. There is no package index, because we do not use Arduino's boards manager. Teensy requires mods to the serial monitor, which may someday become "pluggable serial monitor", but today that just isn't possible using only Arduino boards manager. So there is no package index JSON.

However, if you *really* did mean pluggable discovery JSON, you can get samples of that by just running "teensy_ports -J2" on the command line, and watch the JSON is prints to stdout as you connect and disconnect boards. The teensy_ports program is located in {Arduino}/hardware/tools.

Hi @PaulStoffregen, thanks for the quick response. You clearly have worked out that I don't really know what I'm talking about. But I think I *am* talking about the package index json. I have one for stm32 boards, and it doesn't look a lot like the output from the teensy_ports command. It starts with 'packages: [ { "name": "STM32", ...' so that's a clue. I don't know if XOD uses Arduino's boards manager, I suspect not, or at least not exclusively, as I had to add the STM json file to get the STM32 boards in the boards dropdown. Ditto for ESP8266 boards apparently. Not required for standard Arduino boards, and some others, so I guess they are defined elsewhere in the ide. As for the serial monitor, it looks like a bog standard terminal output to me, but what do I know. I'm pretty sure they use the Arduino cli to compile (and upload?) but not sure what other Arduino functionality they use, if any.

Maybe XOD will add Teensy to their list of supported boards down the track.

Thanks, Ian

Thanks, Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back