Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Audio Router Module?

Audio Router Module?

I'm curious if there would be any sort of performance advantage if an audio router component existed. This would basically be like a mixer, but fixed input=output gain. I could see a use for a four in/four output crosspoint style. I am not versed enough in how the audio components are created, so this might not even be possible.

For those curious, my immediate use would be to take 4 inputs and be able to switch them around under software control - say someone plugs in two of the inputs backwards, we can fix that in software. I could also see a use when playing with various other effects and synths of being able to switch them in and out of the chain.

Thoughts?

The mixer and amp features can do this now. When you set the gain to 0 or 1.0, they act like switches. Internally the code handles gain of 0 and 1.0 as special cases, routing the signals rather than going through the work of multiplying every sample.

So from a technical performance perspective, there's really little to nothing to be gained by having another object that does a complex switch matrix. It would be the same as just building it from mixers or amps.

From a human usability perspective, things aren't nearly so black & white. Technically, even the amp isn't needed, as it's just the same as using 1 channel of a mixer. But there was consistent feedback from people that using a 4 channel mixer to just switch or amplify or attenuate a single signal didn't feel right. So the 1 input, 1 output amp object was added to the library, and I spent a little time to create a nice graphic showing the 3 usage modes, since it was more about human convenience than a technical need.

Whether a switch matrix or other routing-oriented object makes sense from a usability perspective is a good question. The idea has come up a couple times. But the feedback so far is nothing like the steady chorus of requests for a simple switch or gain block when we only had the mixer, so at this point my main thinking is along the Zen of GitGub "Anything added dilutes everything else".

Hi Paul,

Ah, that makes sense. I noted that the amp mentions the 0 and 1.0 special cases, but the mixer didn't, so I wasn't sure. Thank you for the clarification!

My plan is to create this as a mixer. While the component would make things easier, I don't see it as much of a priority as what I'm sure your list is already jammed with.

Personally I'd vote for more work on DAC and ADC directly on the Teensy 4.0 over a router object!

Thank you!