Updating the IDE and Teensy support

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrM

Hi, I would like to start working with a new board, and so, it is finally time to update the development environment. But, so far I have not found instructions on how do that.

Could someone please, post step-by-step instruction for updating the IDE and Teensy software support?

Thank you

I neglected to mention, it's a Linux machine.

That sounds like it will be installed alongside the earlier versions, is that correct? I supposed the desktop shortcuts will simply be overwrriten.

I neglected to mention, it's a Linux machine.

That sounds like it will be installed alongside the earlier versions, is that correct? I supposed the desktop shortcuts will simply be overwrriten.

Oh, Linux. I don't know.

The answer is that you unzip the Arduino wherever you want it to reside, and the Teensyduino installer copies itself into that directory tree.

There are some bugs, the ide opens and closes without error message. You can run it from a command line and see the errors.

The problems seem to be cleared up by deleting two files in your home directory, rm -v ./.arduino/ and ./.teensy/

Here are the specific install instructions:

1. Download the Arduiino software from https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software

2. Download the Teensyduino, and the udev rules file, from https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

3. Copy or move the rules file to /etc/udev/rules.d

4. Run the script arduino-linux-setup.sh

5. Run the script install.sh

6. Run the script TeensyduinoInstall.linux64 (or linux32, depending on your computer)

The Teensyarduino install will present a file secltion window. Navigate to, and select, the top level directory that you unzipped from the Arduino tar.xz file.

Yes, I think so. My old installation ran the teensy loader from a separate directory. The current setup seems much better.

I still have problems with the software complaining about running from the sketch folder, that's what gets cleared up by deleting the .arduino and .teensy files. But, the error seems to reappear.

I still have problems with the software complaining about running from the sketch folder,

Oh, that's bad. Very bad.

Arduino puts stuff in 3 locations, software, preferences, and sketchbook. These 3 should *never* overlap. Things fail in very confusing ways if they do, which is why that warning message exists (I had a hand in getting it into the software, fwiw...)

On Linux, prefs go into ~/.arduino15.

Sketchbook defaults to {Documents}/Arduino, but you can edit it with File > Preferences. DO NOT set this anywhere that overlaps with the software, as that will cause you a lot of pain and suffering as you use the software and especially if you install more optional boards packages!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back