Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!
Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Teensy4 Breakout -- Pogo Pins for SD Card?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    12

    Teensy4 Breakout -- Pogo Pins for SD Card?

    Hello,

    I'm designing my own teensy4 breakout, and was wondering if using pogo pins for the underside SD card pins is possible. I've noted that the PJRC breakout (and others) uses an FFC (as shown here: https://www.pjrc.com/breakout-board-for-teensy-4-0/) and connector. Is there a design consideration here that makes pogo pins not desirable?

    Thank you in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member+ defragster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Posts
    10,591
    Quote Originally Posted by obbligato View Post
    Hello,

    I'm designing my own teensy4 breakout, and was wondering if using pogo pins for the underside SD card pins is possible. I've noted that the PJRC breakout (and others) uses an FFC (as shown here: https://www.pjrc.com/breakout-board-for-teensy-4-0/) and connector. Is there a design consideration here that makes pogo pins not desirable?

    Thank you in advance!
    PJRC Original T4 beta boards used TINY POGO pins in close proximity - but they were tall and used/needed alignment support as it was shipped. They did work - but that number of springy pins along with POGO on the other 10 under pins would tend to push up the socketed Teensy.

    Depending on the goal making your own breakout ...

    Have you looked at the pending T_4.1 - still some unknown time from shipping in coming months - but if the full length 2.4" size would work - it is expected to ship with a mounted SD adapter like the T_3.6 as well as other extensions to the T_4 in a T_3.6 format.

    @loglow has developed a nice breakout for the T4 that may be near shipping after his second Beta units proved a good improvement over the initial boards. They are larger than the T_3.6 format - but additionally bring out the HOST USB access like the T_3.6 but complete with female connector on the PCB. There are other DIY castellated solutions with boards on OSH noted on the forum.

  3. #3
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by obbligato View Post
    Hello,

    I'm designing my own teensy4 breakout, and was wondering if using pogo pins for the underside SD card pins is possible. I've noted that the PJRC breakout (and others) uses an FFC (as shown here: https://www.pjrc.com/breakout-board-for-teensy-4-0/) and connector. Is there a design consideration here that makes pogo pins not desirable?

    Thank you in advance!
    There is a breakout on tindie.com that does not require any soldering to break out all of the underneath solder pads. Unfortunately, I don't recall the person's name on this site. Also, the original design has been sold out since October (that had a bug in bringing out pad 23), and I haven't seen the replacement board at tindie:


    If you go to the tindie.com site, it looks like picture #9 shows using an angled set of pins to attach to the SD pads.

    There are several castellated designs that bring out the pins if you are willing to solder the board to the Teensy. One common thread seems to be making sure the PCB houses correctly bring out the castellated designs.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    PJRC Original T4 beta boards used TINY POGO pins in close proximity - but they were tall and used/needed alignment support as it was shipped. They did work - but that number of springy pins along with POGO on the other 10 under pins would tend to push up the socketed Teensy.

    Depending on the goal making your own breakout ...

    Have you looked at the pending T_4.1 - still some unknown time from shipping in coming months - but if the full length 2.4" size would work - it is expected to ship with a mounted SD adapter like the T_3.6 as well as other extensions to the T_4 in a T_3.6 format.

    @loglow has developed a nice breakout for the T4 that may be near shipping after his second Beta units proved a good improvement over the initial boards. They are larger than the T_3.6 format - but additionally bring out the HOST USB access like the T_3.6 but complete with female connector on the PCB. There are other DIY castellated solutions with boards on OSH noted on the forum.
    Thanks for your reply. My goal is largely self serving, as I've never designed for use with pogo pins and was curious about the considerations there. I know that other solutions exist, and this was really just to get my feet wet in designing something like this myself. It makes sense that so many pogo pins would cause the board to pop out of the socket, so maybe that is reason enough to avoid. Thanks for that insight.

    I haven't looked at the 4.1 yet but will do so on your suggestion.

    There is a breakout on tindie.com that does not require any soldering to break out all of the underneath solder pads. Unfortunately, I don't recall the person's name on this site. Also, the original design has been sold out since October (that had a bug in bringing out pad 23), and I haven't seen the replacement board at tindie:
    https://www.tindie.com/products/Hype...reakout-board/


    If you go to the tindie.com site, it looks like picture #9 shows using an angled set of pins to attach to the SD pads.

    There are several castellated designs that bring out the pins if you are willing to solder the board to the Teensy. One common thread seems to be making sure the PCB houses correctly bring out the castellated designs.
    @MichaelMeissner Thanks for linking to this. I haven't seen that angled pin format before. I'll need to do some research there.

    I had been shying away from soldering to the board but the castellated solution might be worth considering. Thanks again for your response.

  5. #5
    Senior Member+ MichaelMeissner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ayer Massachussetts
    Posts
    3,484
    Quote Originally Posted by obbligato View Post
    I had been shying away from soldering to the board but the castellated solution might be worth considering. Thanks again for your response.
    I still haven't soldered the Loglow board yet, but the blackketter board with different heights for the SD pins seems easier to do. You have to take it slow and check for solder bridges, etc. I have a little program that reads from USB input, and when it gets a numeric value, it turns off the previous pin and turns on the new pin. That way I can check if the pin is actually connected.

    Honestly though, I would prefer for the Teensy 4.1 to be available and not have to do the soldering.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •