Teensy 3.2 + OctoWS2811 (7200 Pixels) Strip animating ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Delete your 8 controllers and create Only two. One with 1-32 universes and the other with 33-64 universes with 510 channels per universe. Or keep it simple and just define the one controller / teensy. The controller code will divide them up as 4 uni per port (assuming you have that defined in code)

Then in mapping just make one pixel strip 170 pixels and assign the first controller to it. Let’s see if we can make it work on that setup.

Edit

Also use the first pair wires

Last edited:
Didn't know there was a "Output to Lights" button..it is working now , and just figured that I was using the 2nd octo port, thats why it was seeing it as the 17-18th universe.

I have learned a great deal out of all this, thanks to you. Many thanks to Paul as well for providing these invaluable resources.

Going to dwell into animations now, so I can prepare a good show tomorrow night. I will post videos :)

It didn't go as planned unfortunately. Teensy was very unstable, it would randomly give timeouts, high latency, and at some point I had reply but it just wouldn't receive data from xLights ( the LED on Teensy blinks faster while it's receiving data ), and after plugging it out & in, it would randomly start working again for a short period of time.

So I had to default back to the rainbow effect for the night. I had some other options like running Glediator, but I didn't want to risk it and end up doing tests in the middle of the show.The rainbow effect didn't look bad though, it was acceptable to some degree.

My main suspect is, I used jumper wires to connect the ethernet to my teensy, as making a custom board was not an option for the time being, not sure if jumper wires would be a problem?
Also, could it be a problem with sACN? Should I try Artnet instead?

Here's a picture of what I mean by jumper wires:
ttt.jpg

You bring up some possible issues. SPI wires should be even and short as possible but PCB is the best. However make sure your power is also good. I have seen issues with the power supply powering pixels and the teensy powered by another source cause issues. You will need to make sure grounds are same from power sources. Make sure not to use STP network cable wire for now since it will play havoc with grounds.

I fed the boards directly from my PC via USB cables, which is a different source of power than where the leds gets powered from. I will try and power them from the same source and will check the results.

I also used STP cables just for endurance without the shielded connectors, but I guess that could also cause problems and I will replace them.

You made some great points, thanks! Will try to make the changes in the coming days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back