Pin extensions needed, arduino to teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

pfzzz

I have a big project [teensy3.6] that's occupying most of the digital pins, and doesn't have enough analog pins for my extensions

I want to be able to have more pins for the project

What I have currently available in digital are 4 pins, and I want to have more digital pins for multiplexers and also to be used directly.

Is it possible to have an atmega chip do the reading of data, and pass the data to teensy ? any other option than atmega that is not super advanced?

If Atmega is the way to go, what kind of interface needed to communicate ? any examples. I'm a beginner in Teensy/Arduino development

My board already have an audio interface(teensy audio board) connected, 2 encoders, 1 i2c LCD screen.

I need 8 more digital pins and around 16 analog pins. I have a 16channel mux already

Last edited:
Is it possible to have an atmega chip do the reading of data, and pass the data to teensy ?

Yes, this is possible. Usually this is done by connecting the serial TX to Teensy's RX1 pin, and of course connect GND to GND. Libraries like EasyTransfer are typically used to manage the communication.

But one gotcha is the voltage. Most of those boards use 5V signals. Only Teensy 3.2 and 3.5 are 5V tolerant, so if you're using one of those you can connect the 5V TX output directly to Teensy's 3.3V input. But if you have Teensy LC, 3.6 or 4.0, the 5V signal could damage it. You'll need to add circuitry to reduce the signal to 3.3V, since those models aren't 5V tolerant.

any other option than atmega that is not super advanced?

I2C expanders like MCP23017 are a popular choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back