Largest 320x240 TFT display

Projectitis

Hi all,

I have a fairly large 320x240 TFT display (see photo) of 82mm diagonal (3.2 inches). It's this unit from buydisplay.com.
Does anyone know of any larger 320x240 TFT displays around? I'm specifically looking for that pixel size, though 16b or 24b colour is ok.
Something around 5 inches (with massive pixels) would be cool :) [Edit] For a decent price!

tft-display.jpg

Cheers,
Peter

Last edited:
I've ended up buying a 5" display from a TomTom XXL 550 (display model LMS500HF05-007). The TomTom XXL 550 is an outdated GPS unit that had a large screen (100mm x 75mm approx. viewable area) albeit at a lower resolution of 320x240 (which is what I specifically want).
No idea what the driver IC is inside this thing, so when it arrives I'll try to determine that, and go from there! Datasheet for this exact model of display doesn't exist, probably because it was made specifically for TomTom, but should be able to figure out how to control it once I know the driver IC.

tomtom-xxl-1.jpg
tomtom-xxl-2.jpg

Oh my god you just bought an TFT display without knowing the IC...
That is like trying to connect a smartphone screen to Teensy
There is no way you can drive MIPI DSI or DPI with Teensy

Well, it is a Samsung panel!
And I just found out that it is using parallel RGB interface!!

Bad luck for you, it is 60hz RGB DPI interface!!
Driving it will be really difficult. There is no graphic ram in that thing, so your processor will have no time to work on other stuff.

5" or 7" displays most of the time have 800*480(TFT) or 800*600 (ePaper) resoution. 320x240 and 5" is a pretty horrible combo!

Wow, really a difficult road!

There are screens with graphic chips such as the very powerful FT81X or BT81X, which you can connect in a teensy 4 or in a teensy 3.6, even in a teensy 3.5; accessing the SDIO reader to recover multimedia: avi videos with audio, png images, jpg, jpeg, cell or asset arrangements, at very high speeds.

They require only the SPI bus. In the case of teensy 4, the SDIO pins must be used to install a microSD reader. In teensy 3.5 or 3.6 only the SPI bus is necessary, since the SDIO reader is activated.

The commercial resolution available is 800x480 px. Even the 3.5 "screen can handle images or video of that resolution size (with some adjustments not to affect the final performance). Additionally, each pixel has a resolution of 1/16, with screen sampling frequency of up to 60 Hz, without affecting the performance of the MCU.

I didn't realise that it wouldn't have graphic RAM! I just assumed all displays would have that and would be able to 'remember' the last graphic state at the very least. I have 7 different displays already (much smaller), but they all have graphic RAM.
Bummer. Well at least it was very cheap (used)! I'm specifically after 320x240.

Back