Teensy USB drivers and Teensyduino

Hey guys I have to get some Teensy 3.2 load with a firmware update in the filed.
I have a tech on site but he is really not an embedded guy.
So the question is can I install Teensydrino with out Arduino?
Because all he really needs is the Teensy loader and the USB drivers.

So the next question
How to get Teensyloader to load the firmware at boot.
So the device has the USB (D+ and D-) brought out the front panel.
But when I set my computer up just using the Loader and plug the device in it will boot but the Teensy will not load.
So is there a way to set the Teensyloader to look for the Teensy?

Thanks
GeckospotNixie

This may be missing a couple of steps. If the computer needs drivers for HID interface - and any other changes based on OS - like the RULES for Linux.

But if TeensyLoader is running and the button is pushed and connected - it will see the Teensy - assuming the needed drivers see the HID device.

Not sure what OS - etc.

But loading TeensyLoader and doing a File Open on the HEX you have will then allow TeensyLoader to program the Teensy with that code.

Thank you for the reply defragster.
The OS is windows 10.
Yes I totally understand about the button.
But I was hopping to fine away for the loader just to look for the Teensy.
That is because the device will need to be disassembled if the only way is to push the button.

When I compile a program I'm not required to push the button 90 % of the time.

GeckospotNixie

So the sketch is running USB. I'd use TyCommander stand alone exe and when powered it will see the Teensy and can upload to it with simple GUI actions.

Probably doable with PJRC tools - but never had to worry with that once I found TyComm. Especially on a machine not running IDE to use would have to run from command line to specify the board.

Last edited:
But I was hopping to fine away for the loader just to look for the Teensy.

Look for the "teensy_reboot" command line program in {Arduino}/hardware/tools. On Windows, the default path is C:/Program File (x86)/Arduino/hardware/tools.

To use it without Arduino, first make sure Teensy Loader is running and its small window is visible. Then run "teensy_reboot" from the command line. If it works, you'll see Teensy appears in the Teensy Loader window. Then you can use Teensy Loader to open your HEX file and program it onto your Teensy.

If it doesn't work (that other than 90% of the time) then your only option is to physically press the button. But if the code you previously wrote to Teensy is good, generally it should work.

You can download the stand-alone Teensy Loader without Arduino from this page.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/loader.html

Thank you defragster. and Paul!
I'm going to give both options a go.

So thinking about this I should not need any USB drivers seeing as the boot loader is HID correct?

Reporting back.
Again thank you all.
They both worked with out issues!
The TYUpdater was a bit more intuitive.
But Teensyloader with teensy_reboot worked just fine also.

Thanks for all the help
[FONT=&quot]GeckospotNixie[/FONT]

So, if you plan to put Teensy into a difficult-to-open enclosure, ensure that the two lines (reset and programming) are broken out together with USB. (on t3.2 'reset' is a pad on bottom)
This way you can always reset teensy and reprogram it with out opening enclosure. (pressing button is equivalent to connecting programming line to GND)

The alternative we use with oceanographic loggers is to have an external power plug that routes power from the batteries to the logger (or controls an electronic switch to do so). Removing and restoring power should reset the teensy and restore access via the USB port. The power switch is also handy to save battery power while the logger is en route to the deployment area---which can take a month or more if the logger is flying to Singapore to catch a ship to the middle of the Indian Ocean.
The loggers are set up to autostart logging 10 to 15 minutes after power is applied. The delay gives you time to connect the USB and configure the logger if necessary. Otherwise the instructions are "Pull out the RED dummy plug and insert the GREEN 2-pin plug to start the logger." No computer or terminal required. The pressure case is sealed and tested before it leaves the lab and the deployment techs don't need to open the case before putting it in the water.

Back