Funky gamepad as keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

bradypus

Hi every one :)

I'm planning to make a one handed gamepad to play along with a mouse for PC, so I can enjoy analog stick to move and mouse to aim. Best way to do so is making the gamepad recognized as a keyboard, so all components work the same, and keyboards + mouse is compatible with any game, witch analog gamepads + mouse is not because using HID (or other joystick layers) with raw input is messy and not supported by most games.

So far my plan was to canibilize a gamepad into a one handed pad and make it recognized as keyboard through Antimicro, but finding Teensy on the way I wonder if it wouldn't be a better option because...
A- Teensy form factor is way easier to work with for this project.
B- If I'm not wrong I could get three move options with the analog : deadzone, walk (direction + modifier) and run (direction and no modifier), witch is better than having to use a button to apply the modifier to walk.
C- I could avoid any additional software layer, and the less the better.
D- It's quite exciting, it makes years I'm interested by Arduino but had no needed project to have the will to get into it.

Could you please tell me if this is right and would work as I would like (especially about the walk / run thing) ?
If so witch Teensy version would work the best (just need 1 stick and 6 to 8 buttons) ?

Thanks a lot by advance, best regards !

I've finally chosed a 4.0.
- Price difference is pretty close to other boards for more power
- More frequency = shorter reaction times
- I don't care about electricity consumption for this use

Only trouble may be temps, as it will be inclose in a wooden pad, and pad into the hand. I'll see, in worse case scenario I'll make some breathing holes.

Can't wait the delivery, so I start working on pad's and code design. :)

Compiling with speed of 528 MHz or lower will drop heat production. Going to 396 MHz will still exceed T_3.6 processing speed and using even less power will make less heat.

Oh right ! Underclocking is an option too, thanks for pointing it out.
I've looked at gamepads made with Teensy LC running at 48MHz (and other Arduinos around that clock speed) being picky it looks a bit slow but playable.
I guess 396MHz should be pleinty enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back