Connecting 100K Trim pot to Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tex

I would like to connect a 100K trim pot to my teensy 3.6 but I read that the 3.3V pin can only handle 250mA max. If the resistance is set to the lowest, will it cause an over current draw?

I was planning to hook up from left to right: 3.3V , A0 , GND.

This was the code I was planning to use:

Code:
void setup()
{                
  Serial.begin(38400);
}

int val;

void loop()                     
{
  val = analogRead(0);
  Serial.print("analog 0 is: ");
  Serial.println(val);
  delay(250);
}

No worries on the current. No significant current flows into the Teensy pin when it's an analog input. So the only current is 3.3V / 100Kohm, which is only 33 uA.

But 100K is a little on the high side. Teensy's analog inputs want lower impedance. Best to use 10K or 5K pots if you can. Otherwise, if the readings are too noisy, try adding a ceramic capacitor between the analog input pin and AGND. Values between 470 pF to 0.1 uF usually help.

No worries on the current. No significant current flows into the Teensy pin when it's an analog input. So the only current is 3.3V / 100Kohm, which is only 33 uA.

But 100K is a little on the high side. Teensy's analog inputs want lower impedance. Best to use 10K or 5K pots if you can. Otherwise, if the readings are too noisy, try adding a ceramic capacitor between the analog input pin and AGND. Values between 470 pF to 0.1 uF usually help.

Thank you for your quick reply! I will obtain a 10K or 5K pot for my circuit. I can use either AGND or GND as the grounding point for my setup?

Either will work. AGND sometimes gives lower noice performance for analog circuits. Always use regular GND for digital stuff. AGND is meant for sensitive analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back