HELP Teensy v4.0 - SE Blank RT Family

bionicbone

Hi All,

I have used Teensy v3.2 for many years so bought a Teensy v4 (for the extra serial ports)

Anyway, plugged it in and it installed on windows 10 as Teensy Raw HID but with no COM ports assigned but nice red LED.

I found something on the net saying press the reset button while powered, well not sure what happened but now its installed as "SE Blank RT Family"

Can it be fixed ?

Yes, it gets that way - I saw it flash by yesterday. I think programming was interrupted and left with blank flash?

Try the 15 second Restore again.

Power and watching the red LED - press and count off 15 seconds while watching as 15 seconds nears watch for a blip on the RED LED and release the button. Watch and enjoy the RED light until it completes. It will then be back with factory new Blink sketch loaded and ready to accept upload of another USB Serial sketch with a normal button press/release.

Yes, that's got it back to the Teensy dinosaur RawHID. Thanks for that.

Now i need to work on my original issue, why does it not have a COM port? With out it I cant upload a sketch.

PJRC ships new Teensy - and this one now Restored to New - with no active USB Serial code because it was the cause of grief to new users plugging them into older windows.

That is why TeensyDuino install finishes with - Do a Verify Build and Push Button - or something to that effect.

Open an example sketch as noted above in p#2 and upload that sketch and it will then have active USB Serial.

It will then be back with factory new Blink sketch loaded and ready to accept upload of another USB Serial sketch with a normal button press/release.

Thanks again.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

I normally use Visual Studio for the IDE, I forgot you had to use Arduino IDE for the very first sketch :eek:

You don't probably HAVE to - but it is a good habit. There are rare occasions where PJRC pushes a new BOOTLOADER update to selective Teensy models over time and things change. So when unpacking a Teensy - or when a New TeensyDuino ships if changes have been made - they are only delivered through TeensyLoader on the next program upload.

Currently having an issue similar to this, except after waiting for the red light to blip and letting go, the teensy is still not recognized at all, and the blink program does not start. When tapping the program button once after holding, it just reads "SE Blank RT Family" again.

The issue I have been having is that the teensy is plugged in, the Bluetooth & Other devices tab shows a USB device appear and then immediately disappear, with the windows connection and disconnection sound playing with it. Have not been able to get the Teensy recognized in the port menu option either. I have had this issue a few times under different circumstances with a few teensies in the past few months.

Is this a T_4.0 or a T_4.1?

After Button release on the RED blink at about 15 seconds - does the RED LED stay on for some significant time while powered with no other action taken?

Is this a T_4.0 or a T_4.1?

After Button release on the RED blink at about 15 seconds - does the RED LED stay on for some significant time while powered with no other action taken?

T_4.0, and yes it does stay on. After waiting a bit, looks like the blink program does come on and it was my patience that was actually the problem. Go figure. However, my initial problem still exists, the port only shows a long name "hid#vid_****************", and after pushing code the teensy disconnects.

The HID is expected by design when the Button is pushed. That is the Teensy in bootloader mode waiting for Upload.

Compile a simple blink sketch with:: USB Type : Serial

Then it will appear as a Serial Device w/COM port associated.

Best test if the sketch waits for Serial and prints and perhaps responds to .available input with more output

Here is a quick sketch that prints and shows millis() on each char sent over SerMon:
Code:
void setup() {
  digitalWriteFast(LED_BUILTIN, 0);
  pinMode(LED_BUILTIN, OUTPUT);
  Serial.begin(9600);  // USB
  digitalToggleFast(LED_BUILTIN);
  while (!Serial && (millis() <= 6000));
  Serial.print("Hello World! ... ");
  Serial.println(millis());
}

void loop() {
  delay(500);
  if (Serial.available())
    while (Serial.available()) {
      Serial.read();
      Serial.println(millis());
    }
}

However, my initial problem still exists, the port only shows a long name "hid#vid_****************",

This is normal & correct behavior after the restore process. The default LED blink is HID, not Serial.

and after pushing code the teensy disconnects.

Impossible to know what's wrong from only these 2 short messages. But here are a few things to check:

1: Check the Tools > USB Type menu. Make sure it's set to Serial. The modes without Serial are supposed to appear as HID.

2: Test with a simple program like, like File > Examples > 01.Basics > Blink, until the problem is resolved. Complicated code which crashes in certain ways can disable the USB hardware.

3: Use the latest Teensyduino 1.54 software. In Arduino, click Help > About to check which version you have installed. 1.54 fixed several bugs and it has a new fault handler which tries to keep the USB running even when your program crashes.

I have also encoutered this problem. Matter of fact is that I have "bricket" 4x Teensy Micromods now. Reason is that I'm building my own flashtool. I did not interrupt any flash, alltho I have turned them off when in boot mode. After start, they wont get back to normal.

I have tried the 15 seconds thing many many times. It does reset and get's recognized by the PC again (makes the positive windows noise on connect). But Arduino or any other IDE does no recognize it as a Teensy.

Here is a printscreen with lots of variables that might be helpful for @PaulStoffregen.

Thanks!

test.jpg

I have tried the 15 seconds thing many many times. It does reset and get's recognized by the PC again (makes the positive windows noise on connect). But Arduino or any other IDE does no recognize it as a Teensy.

Yes, its the same as brand new teensy, then. They have no "Serial".
You need to upload something.

Okay, I actually got that working now. Not sure if I did it wrong or if the instructions are fuzzy. But I feel the need to give people this writeup.

1. Hold the boot button for 15(ish) seconds until you see the light blink fadely once. Then release the boot button.
2. Wait for 5 minutes while the MM slowly wipes the entire flash memory, then Unplug/Plug back the USB cable.
Optional, if you still can't program the device after restart, do step 3.
3. Now press the boot button once and the Teensy will go into program mode and get recognized by the flashtool.

What I did was to only do 1 and 2, because I thought that the Teensy would be reset to ordinary state just by doing those two steps.
Hopefully someone else that's confused finds this info helpful.

Cheers all!

Attachments

• fokk.png
    fokk.png
    42.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
What I did was to only do 1 and 2, because I thought that the Teensy would be reset to ordinary state just by doing those two steps

It is supposed to return to normal with only those 2 steps.

But really, step 1.5 is the wait while the red LED is on bright and slow restore process wipes the entire flash memory. On MicroMod this takes a couple minutes, which doesn't sound like much when written on a message like this, but kinda feels like forever when staring at the board and wondering if it's dead and will ever work again.

If you unplug during that painfully long process, enough of the flash will be wiped that the next boot should come up as NXP's ROM, and pressing the button will get you back into the bootloader where Teensy Loader can work again.

If you do wait it out, eventually the red LED turns off and the orange LED starts blinking again. When the blink returns, Teensy is supposed to reappear to your PC and be shown in the Tools > Ports menu as RawHID. Uploading from Arduino should again work without needing to press the button.

It is supposed to return to normal with only those 2 steps.

But really, step 1.5 is the wait while the red LED is on bright and slow restore process wipes the entire flash memory. On MicroMod is takes a couple minutes, which doesn't sound like much but kinda feels like forever when staring at the board and wondering if it's dead and will ever work again.

If you unplug during that painfully long process, enough of the flash will be wiped that the next boot should come up as NXP's ROM, and pressing the button will get you back into the bootloader where Teensy Loader can work again.

That's really good to know Paul! I did however brick 3 of my MM's (they were 4, managed to save 1 of them now with this). But they are my own fault, they're flashed with 1.53 back when I didn't have patience enough to wait for 1.54 to be released, lol.

2 of these boards are completely dead, they don't care for the boot button or anything. The 3rd board is funny, it's running the blink sketch and is recognized by the computer, I can press program but it doesn't care. It still runs the same sketch even if I flash with another one.
I guess funny things happen with the wrong firmware :p

Well that's very mysterious. The 15 sec restore process is supposed to be able to recover even if the flash is loaded with bogus data.

But you really do need to wait for the very long erase time. If you see the brief blink on the LED at holding the button for 13 seconds, and the LED turns on solid when you release the button (that quick blink is the beginning of a 4 second window where releasing the button triggers the wipe+restore), just let it run and won't unplug the cable. It takes a very long time, because it is accessing the flash chip in a very inefficient way that doesn't depend on any previous loaded code.

Well that's very mysterious. The 15 sec restore process is supposed to be able to recover even if the flash is loaded with bogus data.

Indeed! I could send them to you if you'd like. Anything for the community, even tho this is my own fault, it's good to have as many safe guards as possible for when people screw up.

If the restore process won't recover, then yes, I would like to get those boards and try to investigate what went wrong.

But before sending anything, first please try the restore again. 3 questions...

1: Does the LED do the quick blink after holding the button for 13 seconds?

2: If you see the quick blink, does the LED turn on and stay on when you release the button?

3: Does it get stuck trying to restore and the LED stays on forever? (let's call 1 hour to be "forever")

If the restore process won't recover, then yes, I would like to get those boards and try to investigate what went wrong.

2: If you see the quick blink, does the LED turn on and stay on when you release the button?

3: Does it get stuck trying to restore and the LED stays on forever? (let's call 1 hour to be "forever")

On one of the boards I managed to get the blink. After release of the boot button the light stayed on for about 1 minute before the device automatically rebooted. But it's still bricked and not working as it should. The other two devices will not blink at all. They're completely dead to the human eye. I have tried many times with them.
Also worth mentioning is that I have not done any stupid voltage stuff, because that would be an obvious kill. I managed to simply brick them by using them as tests for TeensySharp library, flashing TeensyDuino 1.53 as 1.54 wasn't released yet.

I'd be happy to drop them in an envelope and ship them to you. :)

I just got a teensy 4.1 and it does not blink after 15 seconds, the red led does not stay on and it keeps either reading it as SE blank RT family, the teensy loader does not see it and the arduino ide (1.8.19) teensyduino 1.57 dont work, is it fried or bricked or it can be saved?

Back