Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: MicroSD Connnection for Teensy 4.0

MicroSD Connnection for Teensy 4.0

Hi everyone,
    I was just wondering what is the best option for connecting an micro SD to the bottom pads on the Teensy 4.0? Should I solder on a ribbon cable connector and connect the ribbon cable to a small board where I have a micro SD holder, or is there a better option?

Any advice is great!

Thanks,
    Noah

That's how we tested the SD interface, with the breakout boards.

https://www.pjrc.com/breakout-board-for-teensy-4-0/

The pads on the bottom of the PCB are designed for a FFC connector, part number HFW8R-1STE1H1LF or HFW8R-1STE1LF.

HFW8R-1STE1LF was the connector we originally used in the beta test. It went obsolete. But it has been replaced by HFW8R-1STE1H1LF. So far it's not yet in stock at distributors like Digikey and Mouser, but looks like Mouser will be getting them later this year.

Cool

There are also breakout boards you can have made at a fab like OSH park, that allow you to solder connections and bring out the ports either to normal 0.1" pins or to a micro SD card. Recently there hasn't been much talk about the boards, but if you go back to the November/December time frame in the General Discussion forum, there was a lot of talk. I suspect some of us are waiting for the Teensy 4.1 to be announced and start shipping (the 4.1 will have a Teensy 3.6 form factor with the micro SD card built-in).

Here are some of the breakout boards discussed: