Clock speed and interfacing with different components

Status
Not open for further replies.

esxcaft

Hi there!

I'm very new to working with microcontrollers and so I have a few basic questions. For my project I plan on using Teensy 3.2 with an external ADC and DAC both running at 50MSPS with their clock signals generated by the Teensy3.2. The ADC and DAC will also be controlled by the same Teensy.

I'm not too sure if this would work because I'm thinking that I'll need a microprocessor with at least 50MHz for the clock signal plus 50MHz for the ADC plus 50MHz for the DAC which totals 150MHz. So I was wondering if Teensy3.2 is still useable in this case?

Not shown is the hardware and interface to the ADC and DAC at hand? How is the data presented to get 50M sample points each second? What is required of the clock?

If speed is the issue a few cents more steps up to a more efficient, faster and more complete Teensy 4.0 that should do anything the T_3.2 can do and resources to spare. Though not sure how all that will work.

The ADC is ADC12040 and the DAC is LTC1666. They both output/receive data in 12bit binary output/input pins. So I'll be using 12+12=24 GPIO pins from the microcontroller. The ADC datasheet specified a clock rise time of 3ns. Yeah I probably should get the Teensy4.0 to give me some headroom, but I wonder if Teensy3.2 is fast enough for my needs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back