Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: [photo needed] Teensy Debug via Virtual Serial

Hybrid View

[photo needed] Teensy Debug via Virtual Serial

Further to the Serial Debugging Features in Visual Micro, there is now full support for all Teensy USB Types (MIDI, Audio, Keyboard etc...) for use with both the Monitor, and all Serial Debugging tools.

Using the Virtual Serial port is the same as with any other COM port, and boards are listed by their USB Identifier in the drop down list along with all standard Serial Devices.

Name:  USBDeviceListing_withTeensy.png
Views: 331
Size:  3.7 KB

All features of the Serial Debugger are available for all Teensy USB Types:-
    • Step by Step execution using breakpoints
    • Performance Monitoring for execution time between breakpoints
    • Conditional breakpoints (based on data or hit count)
    • Variable monitoring with automatic min/max tracking
    • Change variables at runtime
    • Automatic Visual Pin monitoring
    • Easy to use Charting (for any data)

Further Information and Video Examples of the Serial Debugger in action are below:
    Visual Micro VS Extension Website

@Plot Charting Further Info

Video of Teensy Install + Basic Serial Debugging in Action
    https://youtu.be/5d41n-8CJew

Video of @Plot Charts with Serial Debugger (works the same on Teensy)
    https://youtu.be/7LVu__0_jZA

¿why should one pay big$$ for a bloated overhead if the original functionality is free?

Quote Originally Posted by radias View Post
    ¿why should one pay ...
    Almost deleted this as SPAM then saw 49 other posts ...

Some people like options and Visual Micro offers an option with support for plotting and output and other things it seems. I looked into it years earlier while it was in transition so haven't decided I wanted their approach - but it is good to know it is there with support for Teensy and if it offers code level DEBUG assistance - that is not something generally available.

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    Almost deleted this as SPAM then saw 49 other posts ...
    oh, feel free to do so. Especially if it is ok to pay 19$ for one PC or 29$ for three PCs each year. For something that is otherwise free.

Quote Originally Posted by radias View Post
    oh, feel free to do so. Especially if it is ok to pay 19$ for one PC or 29$ for three PCs each year. For something that is otherwise free.
    as noted ... that was at first glance based on the wording ... pricing wasn't included in the terse post.

Indeed I'd have to really like the 90 day trial to pay that. I've started using Sublime Text editor and did pay for that - and do my compiling from there - but it is an awesome general purpose editor. All the computers I want for $80 and 3 years of all updates.

But ... it is an option for those that like the supported solution they offer.

19$ is perfectly OK...

Tim, to publish this on the PJRC website blog, we need at least 1 photo of the actual hardware in use. I'm happy to give your software a shout-out, but we do need a photo of the actual use. If I missed that somewhere in the videos, please point to the time index and I'll get this in our queue for a blog writeup and posting.

Thanks Paul, an Image is below and the hardware wasn't visible in the provided videos, we will make sure it is in future.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Teensy36_DebugInAction.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	20302