Need info on Teensy 4.0 and suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.

fitz75

Hello everyone. Nube here and to nube to building electronics using micro controllers for ARGB strips. Ok, here is why I've joined. I have 3 specific different projects.
Over the last few months I became really interested in building some projects using ARGB strips. I've done a ton of research but have become really confused as the more I learn, the more options become available. Unfortunately, even though I build my own computers, my computer electronics education leaves lots to be desired. I have built tons of audio related stuff and own a NASA soldering certificate, and at 75, I know lots of stuff, but this stuff makes the 60 chord system in music theory look like childs play.. at least to me.

Originally, I was inspired by a video on youtube using an Arduino Uno. As I researched further, I found another video which specified a different approach using the following BASIC items, of which because I have 3 different projects, I opted for the following:
1) 1 5v WS2812b ARGB strip or more. ( I opted for (1) 5m strip with 60 Led's per meter, (1) 1m strip with 144 Leds per meter, and various individual and fairy light strings using WS2812b's.)
2) A NodeMCU
3) A 4 channel Level Converter bidirectional 3.5v/5v
4) Micro USB cord
5) 5v Power Supply. Given my strip has 300 leds, after doing some current requirement calculations I opted for a 15amp
6) Small protoboard.
7) The Arduino IDE and Fastled library

Ok, seemed easy enough. The author even provided a circuit diagram. So, as I have 3 different projects, I ordered three sets of the above items .
However, as I had a specific design goal for one of my projects which required two separate 7ft strips, cut from 1 15m strip, receiving the same FASTled animation data, I began to research how I could accomplish this using what I already ordered. To my dismay, I couldn't find any info or wiring diagrams that satisfied my intent. And this is where things began to get confusing.

First off, was the ARGB strip itself. The first thing I discovered was the inherent problem with WS2812b strips, whereby if one LED fries, all the rest after it will go dead as well. This is when I discovered the WS2913, which, because it has a separate data and timing circuit, it is a 4 circuit design. Hmmmm... Ok, given my first project is a 14' light bar on top of an upper workbench cabinet, which in the event an LED burned out on a WS2812b strip, because the way the strip is installed, would be a massive PITA to change out, I went on an intense 2 week research mission on WS2813's, which for all intents and purpose has led me here.

During this research, I came across many other things that have totally confused me in regards to my original choices of electronic components and Firmware. Here is why.
After downloading the Arduino IDE, I remembered the original video where he showed some things you had to punch into the Fastled library configurations. The author linked to a Github page to show those changes. UNFORTUNATELY, that page had been archived. Dang. Ok, started another research mission. The first thing I was trying to find out was the line where you entered the NodeMCU data. This led me to a Reddit Subreddit group called FASTLed. I joined and started asking questions. BANG! The very first reply told me FORGET Fastled...use Wled. Whoa! As if I wasn't confused enough. Ok, after another week of research, I became convinced that Wled was much easier to use and had tons of preconfigured "sketches". Meanwhile....

As I was STILL trying to figure out how to wire up my original intent, I came across a crapload of other info. Home Assistant stuff.. multiple sketches inside of ONE sketch, toggling sketches using a momentary switch... which used a Mini D1 instead of a NodeMCU(sighs) etc etc... until FINALLY, after finding some info on the TEENSY.... I came across the PJRC website, and the Teensy 4.0. Seeing it was the fastest Micro controller on the planet... I began to wonder some things. Voila. This is why I joined. I am TOTALLY confused, and desperate for some guidance, which leads me to the following questions.

Given I am a retired senior on a fixed budget, I would still consider purchasing Teensy 4.0's for my projects if someone can provide me some answers.

1)Given I've already purchased items that seem will work if I found the wiring diagrams per my intent, vs Teeny's which are 4 times the price, is a Teeny 4.0 worthwhile to upgrade to if it will fullfi my intent and why? As for my "intent" here is a description of my projects. Each project will use it's own microcontroller and power supply, but I am still confused how a certain library will be used for all three.

A. Project 1. A 14' light bar, using (2) 7' pieces cut from a 5m strip. These two pieces will be installed, so the data direction of each strip is centered on the light bar, separated 1/4" apart, so iidentical animations begin on each strip at the center, and move outward towards the ends of each strip. Question is... can a Teeny 4.0, maybe using one or two 4 channel level converters, control two separate strips using the same animation to both strips? If so, does it require the FastLed library, or can I substitute the Wled library?

B. Project 2. (9) Vertical 1 ft Light bars, using 144 led per meter WS2813 light strips. In this case, the Teeny 4.0 would have to supply NINE separate light strips with identical data. I would like to have the animations move in both directions, up and down, and depending on programming I guess, animations moving from one to the next, left and right. Is this possible?

C. Project 3. A custom computer ARGB lighting, for CPU fan, custom RAM rgb heat sinks, motherboard rgb, case RGB lighting etc. Approx 30 individual WS2813's and small strips. This will have it's own Teensy or other microcontroller. Using whatever library, the ARGB's will be arranged into groups(like individual strips amounting to about 5, not counting fan and memory RGB's. Is this possible?

Ok everyone. Sorry for the verbose explanation. But I've posted this same dialog on 3 other forums, of which I haven't had a singly reply. I hope someone here can enlighten me. Thanks in advance.
Workbench wall.jpg
Computer.jpg
Vertical Light Bars (9).jpgWorkbench Wall LED setup.jpg

1) A Teensy 4 might be worthwhile, but for these projects, you'll only need a Teensy 3.2. You'll program this using the Arduino IDE with the Teensyduino extension installed. You might also want to get this convenient PCB that holds your Teensy 3.2 and does the level shifting from 3.3V to 5V for the data signals https://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html

That said - I think you are overcomplicating this simply because you lack experience? You can certainly use both NodeMCU and pretty much whatever microcontroller you have - given that it has a well supported library. All you need is for the microcontroller to send a 5V signal if that's what the LED strip needs. If the Microcontroller outputs 3.3V signals, you'll just stick a level shifter in between that converts the 3.3V to 5V.

The primary reason to use Teensy is that it's blazingly fast and can easily drive many thousand LEDs updating 30 times per second. Using the OctoWS adapter I linked above and the guide on that page, you can connect up to 8 LED strips. So yes - using a Teensy can certainly solve all the applications you describe.

For project C, you'll have to connect some of the 30 LEDs up using wire so that they still form one or more "strings", but you can place them freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back