Teensy dev-platform 4.8.0 for PlatformIO is out! 🚀

ikravets

We are pleased to announce the next release v4.8.0 of Teensy development platform.

What’s New

• Updated Teensyduino to v1.51
  • Fixed missing math libraries in the Arduino build script
  • Updated teensy_loader_cli tool in tool-teensy package for Linux

Documentation

👉 http://docs.platformio.org/en/latest/platforms/teensy.html

Examples

👉 https://github.com/platformio/platform-teensy/tree/develop/examples

P.S: No need to install Arduino IDE, Java or Teensyduino. Everything works out of the box, including debugging, unit testing, code and memory inspecting, etc.

This is really cool ! never tried PlatformIO before looks like good time to try alternative to Arduino IDE to see if this is better.
There is no support for Teensy4.0?

This is really cool ! never tried PlatformIO before looks like good time to try alternative to Arduino IDE to see if this is better.
There is no support for Teensy4.0?

It does support the Teensy 4.0. It's lightyears ahead of Arduino IDE-wise since it's an extension of VS Code.

Working on my own synth using Teensy4 and decided to try PlatformIO... and really liked it.

I'm on Linux with Emacs as an IDE, and definitely did not want to use Arduino IDE for anything. PIO has a great cli tool that manages my dependencies (either from official repos or directly from github), a command to build and upload my sketch, etc.

Sure, I can do everything without PIO, but PIO definitely made my life more comfortable.

I’ve switched over from Sloeber/Eclipse which was great during long years towards PlatformIO about three months ago, for the following reasons:
- The Sloeber addin has problems with MacOS Catalina and the maintainers were unfortunately not motivated to solve relatively simple problems like directory names containing spaces in the build path
- An active Arduino installation has always to exist in parallel as a Teensyduino install container, they never made an attempt to fully integrate everything

Both issues were solved for me with PlarformIO/VsCode.

The only thing I’d still wish from @ikravets is a little GUI to handle the project configuration files, so that one had not longer to look up the platform, boards, usb and compiler options syntax and options and write them by hand in the file but one could switch these with a few mouse clicks, similar to the corresponding menus in the Arduino IDE.

I’ve switched over from Sloeber/Eclipse which was great during long years towards PlatformIO about three months ago
The only thing I’d still wish from @ikravets is a little GUI to handle the project configuration files, so that one had not longer to look up the platform, boards, usb and compiler options syntax and options and write them by hand in the file but one could switch these with a few mouse clicks, similar to the corresponding menus in the Arduino IDE.

@Theremingenieur : That's quite a development/recommendation!

That one more 'only thing' would be Critical to easy use. Using SublimeText editor was possible with FrankB's Windows:CMD batch file exec of IDE build from Sublime - and first thing I did was write another batch file to run to adjust those IDE/Tools items for the boards and create that batch file in the Sketch directory.

I just updated VSCode yesterday to look at @luni's VisualTeensy - but SublimeText a familiar tool now ...

I just updated VSCode yesterday to look at @luni's VisualTeensy - but SublimeText a familiar tool now ...

Good idea ;)

Here a few things which might be helpful when you play around with vsCode:

• Install the c/c++ extension (vsCode will offer it...) to get intellisense
  • The compiling / uploading short key is CTRL+SHIFT+B (If you prefer the Menu, building is hidden in the Terminal submenu)
  • If you have the cursor in a filename (e.g. header file) F12 will open the file
  • If the cursor is in a symbol (e.g. variable, class, #define etc) F12 will bring you to the corresponding definition / declaration
  • Alt + LEFT / RIGHT will cylce through the last file/cursor positions you edited.
  • SHIFT+ALT+F will reformat your code. If you don't like the standard formatting style, you have full control over it by placing a .clang-format file in the project folder https://clang.llvm.org/docs/ClangFormatStyleOptions.html

Last edited:
I’ve switched over from Sloeber/Eclipse which was great during long years towards PlatformIO about three months ago, for the following reasons:
- The Sloeber addin has problems with MacOS Catalina and the maintainers were unfortunately not motivated to solve relatively simple problems like directory names containing spaces in the build path
- An active Arduino installation has always to exist in parallel as a Teensyduino install container, they never made an attempt to fully integrate everything

Both issues were solved for me with PlarformIO/VsCode.

Thanks for using PlatformIO! Please note that we added UI for "platformio.ini" in the latest release. Not all people noticed this. See more info here https://community.platformio.org/t/platformio-core-4-2/11980

I just downloaded this and have started using it with the Teensy 4.0. Amazingly easy and it just works. I'm sold, and will check out more of this platform later. Thank you!!!

Thanks for the kind words. We would like to see more happy Teensy users. The problem is that there is no link to PlatformIO on Teensy website. So, people even do not know that there is something modern and better for professional development.
We contacted Paul Stoffregen and he promised to add a link to PlatformIO with a new web site.

@ikravets: I don’t know much about other happy Teensy users, but after you have already made the first fantastic step with the new PlatformIO.ini configuration GUI, go perhaps one step further and add drop down selectors for the different CPU speed, compiler optimization and USB options, similar to the extended (by the Teensyduino plugin) Tools menu of the Arduino IDE. If I remember well, the different available options can be found parsing the boards.txt file. I guess, this would be an additional attraction factor.

Last edited:
@iankravets being using PlatformIO for a while now, just want to say thanks, can't believe I struggled with that Arduino IDE for all that time!

Back