CANBus wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilium007

I'm a little confused on how to lay out CANBus wiring in a project I am working on. Everything I read talks about the CANBus having 'stubs' that need to be less than a certain length. I don't know how this works in practice.

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 9.39.28 pm.jpg

I want my individual modules (PCB's) to have a 2 x 4 way PCB to wire connectors (5V, GND, CAN-H and CAN-L) in parallel to allow the daisy chaining of the CANBus. I don't see how this would achieve the design as per above diagram. The above diagram tells me I would need two main bus wores that run around the project with 'stubs' somehow connected to these bus wires. I would then only have a single 4 way connector on each PCB that would connect to the 120 Ohm terminated CANBus. How should this be done? Can I daisy chain from each PCB with 2 x 4 way connectors?

Confused...

To achieve this:

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.05.41 pm.jpg

Do I need to build some PCB's like this (photoshopped):

Untitled.jpg

But then I find this project where each module looks like it is daisy chained from board to board:

nWWEYymjgGoCVEo579Ngs6Z7xse5QC_rq53ucoN_jcJh4zPPkW44XkWPrr-1F3ny6-jHno_jlin7bpsiICP8tEBDqN6re6G1.png

Here is another example of a daisy chain:

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 10.41.54 pm.jpg

Last edited:
For CANbus to work you must have 2 or more nodes/devices on the same network. The endpoints of both furthest nodes/devices must have a resistor termination between CANH and CANL, all the wires are ran in parallel -> CANH to CANH to CANH, then CANL to CANL to CANL etc Make sure they also have common ground.

For CANbus to work you must have 2 or more nodes/devices on the same network. The endpoints of both furthest nodes/devices must have a resistor termination between CANH and CANL, all the wires are ran in parallel -> CANH to CANH to CANH, then CANL to CANL to CANL etc Make sure they also have common ground.
Yes, I understand this. My question was about the physical layout of the bus wiring in relation to the stubs as per both posts above.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back