Teensyduino 1.52 Beta #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul

Administrator
Staff member
Here is a first beta test for Teensyduino 1.52.

Edit: links removed, please use 1.52-beta5.

Changes since Teensyduino 1.51:

USB Audio support for Teensy 4.0
OctoWS2811 ported to Teensy 4.0
WS2812Serial support for RGBW SK6812 LEDs
FreqMeasureMulti ported to Teensy 4.0 (KurtE)
Dual & Triple USB Serial (Geert Uytterhoeven)
Audio support for 4,6,8 channel I2S on Teensy 4.0
Audio support for SPDIF input on Teensy 4.0 (FrankB)
Audio DAC support for Teensy LC (Ben Kurtz)
Audio PWM output for Teensy 4.0 (FrankB)
Fix Serial.print() conflict with USB Touchscreen
Fix contact count on USB Touchscreen (purple-ben)
Defined FLASHMEM on Teensy 3.x, for compatibility with Teensy 4 code (FrankB)
Fix cache handling in I2S audio input on Teensy 4.0 (Frank B)
Fix numerous iMXRT register field defines
MTP USB descriptors on Teensy 4.0 - actual MTP support still WIP
Libraries updated: FlexCAN_t4, ST7735_t3, RA8875

The Teensy 4 -Audio PWM output is _not_ ready to use.

Ok. I'll make a point to not document it when I (soon) go through the design tool docs and update most of the others for Teensy 4.0 pins & details.

If you want it removed from the library before a final 1.52, just send another pull request.

I don't care. - it is a stub.
There are simply too many unknowns for me to continue working on it. I give that "job" to you or others.
The two generated PWMs respond to the audio - not more, not less. I just hope it is somehow a useful start.

Thanks a lot Paul, I have been eagerly awaiting USB audio support for Teensy 4. Just tried the Linux 64-bit install, and USB audio support works fine.

Wouter Jan PE4WJ

1.52b1 install worked no issues over prior IDE 1.8.12.

For some reason my Win 10 system again taking 8+ seconds for TeensyLoader to show - after that message - again?
Opening Teensy Loader...

Unable find Teensy Loader. (p) Is the Teensy Loader application running?

Is a firewall (eg, ZoneAlarm) blocking localhost communication?

<edit>:: Restarted PC after installing Monthly Update:

IDE opens/starts faster and TeensyLoader comes up QUICKLY as it should.

Compile and upload from IDE w/Teensy.exe no problem.

Last edited:
I am unable to install on an Nvidia Jetson Nano. This is originally reported in this thread.

With Arduino 1.8.12 installed and working, I get the following when attempting to install:

Code:
david@capture-01:~/Downloads$ ./TeensyduinoInstall.linuxaarch64 
Illegal instruction (core dumped)
david@capture-01:~/Downloads$ sudo ./TeensyduinoInstall.linuxaarch64 
[sudo] password for david: 
Illegal instruction

I haven't ever had it work, but another user reported it to be working with the TD 1.48 Beta 1 release. Is there any way I could get access to that release to verify?

Indeed - hopefully that made the list when noted on the thread:: Starting-1-52-Beta-Soon

Paul: This thread shows details on failures with Teensy 4.0 RawHID:

RawHID-recv()-hangs-after-updating-to-Teensyduino-1-4-9-or-higher-for-Teensy-4-0

Two users - at least one suggested client/Teensy code set for repro - on MAC OS. 2nd is pending posting

I just posted there looking for the second set of repro code - hopefully the one there will point to a solution.

I tried the provided TD 1.48 Beta 1 and it works great. I won't be able to do anything more until Monday, but if you want me to test things then, just let me know.

workspace.jpg

USB Audio working great now with a Teensy 4 and a PCM5102A - thank you very much - as shown in left front of attached workspace picture.
I have noticed that unlike with the Teensy 3.x I cannot select both a USB keyboard and Audio at the same time when the board selection is for a Teensy 4
Is this something that will be added in the future?
I would like to add a USB Volume control to the DAC

Forgive me if I should rather start a new thread somewhere else but our local Teensy supplier here (Micro-robotics South Africa) only has revision B audio boards - therefore the 100 ohm resistor between the Teensy 3.6 and the audioboard in the font right of the picture.
They told me they cannot get stock of the newer rev C boards?

But only if you wanted to mount directly.
Using RevB and 100 Ohm in MCLK line should work.

Thank you both - yes I have one Rev D audioboard and it works well with the Teensy 4

I am a little bit suspicious of the local supplier who "only" stocks the rev b audioboards - I suspect they want to move their old inventory first...

(Although they ARE selling the rev B boards for 30% cheaper than the rev D boards)

Last edited:
(Although they ARE selling the rev B boards for 30% cheaper than the rev D boards)

Yup, sounds like they want to get rid of those older shields. 30% off is a pretty good deal if you have Teensy 3.x boards to use. All Teensy 3.x boards work when mounted directly above or below the Rev B audio shields. If you use a few inches of wire between them, Teensy 3.2 and 3.5 work fine, but Teensy 3.6 has higher speed edges on its clock signals which means you need the resistor when using a "long" wire.

Rev B does work with Teensy 4.0 if you add a resistor and of course route the I2S signals to the proper pins with wires. All the Teensy 4 beta testing was done with Rev B boards plugged into the breakout board which has the 100 ohm resistor. The earliest versions of the breakout board had analog switch chips for I2S1 vs I2S2. They acted as resistors when "on", which is why we didn't discover the 100 ohm resistor issue until about half way through the beta test last year. That led to more testing, which is when we discovered Teensy 3.6 only works with Rev B if the wires are kept short.

I can confirm PJRC currently has plenty of both Rev C and Rev D audio shields in stock.

Rev B is exactly the same as Rev C, except for the extra 100 ohm resistor. 30% off is a pretty nice discount, if you can use those.

Thanks Paul, Will test and give feedback... I was working on a T4 USB Audio implementation whilst waiting on your update, I managed to get IN/OUT/ISOCSYNC working. funny thing is i've only finished it now so I could've just waited.. :D

@Paul, can you add the TeensyTimerTool library?

Thanks a lot for the shout out Frank, but unfortunately this is still work in progress. Having it in the core might generate a lot of support requests which I currently can't handle. Meanwhile it is included in the Arduino repository and can be installed from the Arduino library manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back