Using Teensy 3.6 as USB Host for F710 Gamepad

Status
Not open for further replies.

marks

Hi all,

I apologize in advance for any ignorance of the topics I am about to discuss! I am definitely a newbie at all of this.

So I have a Teensy 3.6 chip that I am hoping to use as a controller for a bunch of servo-motors. I hope to receive input from a F710 wireless gamepad and this is where I'm running into problems. At first I had thought that the micro-USB onboard the Teensy would work for what I wanted to do. I then found that the Teensy had to act as a USB host for this purpose. At this point, I've found this library, which appears to allow for the functionality that I desire, but I can't seem to get it to work.

I've attempted uploading "JoystickBT.ino" and "MouseBT.ino" to the Teensy 3.6 board and trying to see input in the serial monitor (using both a bluetooth mouse and the bluetooth gamepad), which has not been fruitful. The serial monitor does not show anything. At this point I am starting to hit a wall and could use a hand.

Could anyone point me in the right direction? Is it feasible to try and accomplish this task with the gamepad I have available or should I look for another way?

Thank you!

Not indicated if the proper pins for USBHost are being used?

Looking at the Teensy 3.6 card/PCB there is a row of interior pin holes inside pins #1 to #6 - silkscreen labels on the bottom.

Those pins present the USBHost controller from the T_3.6 processor.

It is those pins that need to be connected to USB devices.

It can be connected with a cable like this :: pjrc.com/store/cable_usb_host_t36.html

Not sure the F710 wireless device is among those that have been tested for configuration to function. Does it use Bluetooth or its own wireless adapter?

That may be a DIY project. Posting the exact hardware you have - and maybe a link to the device - perhaps on Amazon for purchase it may be a device others might have or get to see it work if it is a common device.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I am using the correct pins for the set-up. The 5v, D-, D+, GND, GND pins from the 2nd USB device. They are currently connected to a USB female cord that I cannibalized for the project.

GND - Shield
GND - Black
D+ - White
D- - Green
5V - Red

Testing with a continuity tester shows that the cables are working properly (same potential at Teensy board USB pins and USB female output). I had seen the cable but I just wired up this hack to get my project working quicker. That one is on order for a more long-term solution.

Here is the gamepad. It uses its own wireless adapter.

DIY is fine, I just wonder how I should go about trying to communicate with the gamepad from the Teensy. I can access the following screen on my Windows machine which shows me the raw inputs from the gamepad:

F710 Properties.png

Is there a way I can get the same values to the Teensy?

Thanks again for the help, hopefully this information gives more insight into the project.

Update!

I had green and white switched! Now I am getting output to the serial monitor. Thanks for bringing up the wire and prompting me to check the image with my wiring.

Great - that puts you in the ballpark to start! Assuming the USBHost on T_3.6 thread was found and referenced?

Look in the USBHost code there is a DEBUG setting that is disabled by default. Enabling that will turn on SPEW of message IIRC when device detection startup happens with the right sketch. Like for other devices those messages need to be handled to recognize and setup to use the device.
>> ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\USBHost_t36\USBHost_t36.h ::
Code:
//#define USBHOST_PRINT_DEBUG
//#define USBHDBGSerial	Serial1

BTW: Posting a link to purchase might trigger the lurkers that buy and enable these things to act.

Whoes a lurker ;)

And yes sometimes if a game controller does not work, one or more of us end up ordering one.

lurker :: a person who lurks, in particular a user of an Internet message board or chat room who does not participate.

Certainly not @KurtE :) ... Must be that 'other' person ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back