Issue receiving LIDAR serial input

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomas2982

Hi,
I am new to this community. I am working on a senior design project and I am trying to receive data from a LIDAR sensor using teensyduino. The issue I am having is that no data is coming up on the serial monitor. Arduino recognizes the teensy board but still nothing comes up. This leaves me to believe that something funky can be going on with the latest version of Arduino (which I have heard can happen) or that my LIDAR or teensyboard is not working properly. Has anyone ever ran into issues with Arduino IDE or know of this problem existing? Please let me know. All help/advice is appreciated.
Thank you!

Hi @tomas2982 - Not sure how to help as unfortunately you have not provided any information on your setup, other than you have some form of lidar and maybe a teensy of some type?

The simple answer is I have used some Lidars with different Teensy setups, but there is a whole variety of setups.

So the type of information that might help includes:

a) Which Lidar are you using? Examples like a Lidar Lite (which version), Robotis sells a Lidar, I have a Lidar that I purchased with a Teensy controller (first was a T2, later a T-LC) from GetSurreal.com.

b) Which Teensy? How is the Teensy connected to the Lidar?

c) What is your host (Windows, MAC, Linux), what version of Arduino, what version of Teensyduino.

d) What libraries are you using? Again probably depends on the above.

e) What sketch are you running on the Teensy?

Again hard to give you any advice without some clue on setup.

I am using a XV Lidar sensor that I obtained for GetSurreal.com. It is used in the Neato XV Series Robotic Vacuum.

I am also using the Lidar Controller v2.0 from GetSurreal.com. I have the 4 pin output from the LIDAR unit going to the teensy board and the LIDAR unit is getting power from an external source. I then have my teensy board connected via a micro usb to my laptop. Let me know if this needs clarification.

I am using windows. Arduino v 1.8.11 and teensyduino v1.51.

I am not trying to run anything yet, I am just trying to see if I am getting output from the LIDAR sensor. So I just go to the serial monitor but nothing is coming up.
Thank you so much for the help, its greatly appreciated!!!

So I am assuming default Teensy LC for the 2.0 GetSurreal.com

Note it has been awhile since I played with mine.

I also don't remember if he preprgrammed the LC with his firmware or not. I believe so.

So you have plugged the controller into the USB port of your pc and your Arduino IDE sees your comm port? You choose Teensy LC as the board type and the port number associated with this port and you see nothing?

His instructions mention about setting the uSB to 115200, but I don't see anywhere that would make a difference. That is it means nothing to the USB serial port, but can be useful in cases where the sketch does something like: desired_baud = Serail.baud();
And then set another serial ports speed based on this... (To make a USB to serial adapter)... But I don't see anywhere in his code that does this.

Have you tried typing any commands to see if they do anything, like?

Again if it were me and still got no response, I would probably download the github project and program the LC with it...

Or if you are going to use ROS with it, might look up at ROS for their suggestions and setups. I believe more information up at: http://wiki.ros.org/xv_11_laser_driver

Hey, sorry for late response due to corona. Yeah I have done all the things advised with the speed and tried to input a command. Still nothing. I will try the github suggestion and let you know what I get.
Thanks!!

I actually got it working now. My teensy wasnt being recognized because my usb cable couldnt handle the data from the teensy. Used a better quality usb cable and its working fine now!
Thank you for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back