Teensy 4 i2c FFT -> no data

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSO

Hello! I recently encountered a bit of a problem while trying to get audio visualization work. When I bought the Teensy 4 I did not know the extend of the audio library coverage. Because the ADC is not set up for the Teensy 4, I ordered a SPH0645 I2S MEMS Microphone Breakout Sensor Board. It came in the other day, but I can't seem to get anything out of it. Furthermore, I can't seem to get FFT out of a sine wave mixed into the same signal, so I'm not sure what is happening.

What I have:
1. Teensy 4.0 (and an UNO for testing)
2. SPH0645 (I also have a electret BOB)
3. Lots of extra parts.

I have tried:
1. Looking for posts with these pieces of hardware. All of the results seemed to be with a different Teensy board, or using the audio shield.
2. This code with the hardware connected like this.
3. The same sketch with and without the sine wave. All readings are 0.00.
4. The same sketch with if(fft256.available()).

Design requirements:
1. It needs to be small, so the audio shield is not an option.
2. FFT data does not need to be precise. Audio input does not need to be precise.

Please let me know if you have any ideas on how to get this all working. I tried to put down everything that might be relevant, but if I missed something I can add it. Thanks a bunch for taking a look at this!

Try adding these at the beginning of the setup() function:
Code:
  AudioMemory(8);
  mixer.gain(0,0.5);
  mixer.gain(2,0.25);
  mixer.gain(3,0.25);

Even if there's not much contribution from the i2s input, the sine wave should definitely show up - if you've chosen the correct range of bins to print.

Pete

Whoops! I added:

AudioMemory(8);
mixer.gain(0, 1);
mixer.gain(1, 1);
mixer.gain(2, 1);
mixer.gain(3, 1);

to the setup line and I seem to be getting some data now. Thanks for the help!

edit: It looks like there is data from the sine wave, but no data coming from the i2s. It's too bad I can't use the basic analog mic.

Last edited:
The sine wave is probably going to be very loud compared to audio from i2s. You would also be best to make the sum of the amplitudes in the mixer equal to one as I did - i.e. 0.5+0.25+0.25.
You don't need to set an amplitude for input 1 on the mixer because you haven't connected anything to it.

Try reducing the amplitude of the sine wave into the mixer and increasing the i2s. Try this:
Code:
  mixer.gain(0,0.2);
  mixer.gain(2,0.4);
  mixer.gain(3,0.4);

Pete

Thanks for the help. I've toyed around with a few values and using the values suggested I get output, but when I reduce the gain of the sine wave to zero there output drops to zero. I don't want to have a sine wave in the final output, but I just wanted to make sure that the FFT was working at all. I've been digging through the documentation for the board and I've tried tons of wire configurations. I'm hoping I don't have a dud of a mic, but it's hard to rule out.

I haven't used an I2S MEMS microphone so I can't help with that.
I notice in your photo that you are using the jumper wires with round ends. It has been my experience that those are not particularly reliable and the end which fits into the breadboard is actually too narrow to make a good connection. If you have some thicker wire, it would be a good idea to rewire all the connections.

Pete

Your I2S MEMS is connected wrong for T4.0.
It seems you used the suggested pins for T3, that are different to T4

From T4 pin card I deduce

LRCLK to Pin 20
BCLK to Pin21
DOUT to Pin8

That did it! I didn't know what to look for on the card. Thanks for take a look for me. I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back