Teensy USB Serial not recognized on device manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

andromeda

hello,
Teensy USB Serial is not recognized in the device manager, I have a yellow triangle. I tried to plug the USB cable into three different USB ports and I have the same problem,
I use arduino 1.8.10 and teensyloader 1.49, Teensy 3.6 it has always worked before.

are there any drivers? anyone have a solution?

When i upload a sketch i have this error:
No Teensy boards were found on any USB ports of your computer.
Please press the PROGRAM MODE BUTTON on your Teensy to upload your sketch.

thanks in advance.

i have installed arduino 1.8.12 and teensyduino 1.51 is a same, i can't see por COM14 on menu Tools/Ports but

pressing program button it work.

why now we are forced to press the program button to download a sketch when before for years we were not obliged and I saw the com port in the tools / Ports menu?

as serial port from teenys 3.6 is no longer recognized the monitor series no longer works.

I assume you have used this USB cable before and/or tried others? Is this a new or previously used T3.6?

I am guessing Windows? Which version 7, 8, 10? If 7, you need to have USB driver file installed.

Did you try pressing the program button on the teensy?

Have you tried some of the recover techniques?

Again some of the simple things I try when something does not work include, typically trying to load a real simple program on it, like blink. I will load it and do a verify, which does not try to program it, but does bring up Teensy program. (USB setup as Serial, and the correct board type)

a) Then press the program button on Teensy and see if it programs and then shows up as a valid Serial.
b) If not, I might try unplug the teensy, and plug it back in while holding down the program button. Then try to program it.
c) Try a recovery process... (It has been awhile on T3.6 that I have tried or needed to do this).

Good Luck

why now we are forced to press the program button to download a sketch when before for years we were not obliged and I saw the com port in the tools / Ports menu?

Usually you are not 'forced' to press the button. Since you see the COM port in the device manager (with a warning sign) I assume that something is wrong with your sketch. I recommend to make sure that USB Serial is activated, upload a known good sketch (e.g. blink.ino) and see if the COM port shows in the device manager without warning sign. If that works upload your sketch and see if the warning sign appears. If so, you can be sure that you have an issue in your sketch...

yes i have used the same cable on i have tested with other usb cable.
windows version is win 7 x64.
when i press the program button it work i can upload sketch but i can't see in device manager Teensy USB Serial, i can't use serial monitor.
I loaded a simple program on it.
my config for arduino is Teensy 3.6, Serial, 180 Mhz, Faster, US English, Port (nothing) because i can't see any serial port from teensy 3.6), parallel programmer or AVRISP Mkii

how do i do for recovery process ?

thanks in advance.

Usually you are not 'forced' to press the button. Since you see the COM port in the device manager (with a warning sign) I assume that something is wrong with your sketch. I recommend to make sure that USB Serial is activated, upload a known good sketch (e.g. blink.ino) and see if the COM port shows in the device manager without warning sign. If that works upload your sketch and see if the warning sign appears. If so, you can be sure that you have an issue in your sketch...

a simple program blink from teensy 3.6 example not work, i need to push program button, but on device manager is always yellow triangle.

Just that I got that right:

• You installed the Serial Driver
  • You did set the USB-Type to Serial
  • You pressed the button and uploaded the blink.ino from the example
  • After that, in device manager the port still appears with a warning sign.
  • If you disconnect the board it disappears from the device manager, reconnecting it doesn't change anything?

Are you sure that there is no other uploader or any other software running which might grab the port? I assume you already tried to reboot your PC?

Just that I got that right:

• You installed the Serial Driver
  • You did set the USB-Type to Serial
  • You pressed the button and uploaded the blink.ino from the example
  • After that, in device manager the port still appears with a warning sign.
  • If you disconnect the board it disappears from the device manager, reconnecting it doesn't change anything?

Are you sure that there is no other uploader or any other software running which might grab the port? I assume you already tried to reboot your PC?

pressing button and upload a sketch it work.

I tested by disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable it is still not recognized in the device manager,
I tested on another PC with Windows 10, I installed arduino 1.8.12 and Teenysuini install 1.51, it works fine, the serial port is well recognized in the device manager
and I see it in the ToolsPort menu of Arduino

it surely has another application which causes a conflict may be in the background but I do not see which one, is there a program which can tell me if another program uses a serial port?

uninstall ALL serial and ALL HID ports that are not active to get rid of screwed-up ports. (obviously with Teensy disconnected)

pressing button and upload a sketch it work.
Do you mean uploading blink.ino worked or do you mean after uploading blink.ino the next upload worked without button? If so, your sketch has a problem. If after uploading blink.ino you still need the button something on your PC seems to be wrong.

is there a program which can tell me if another program uses a serial port?
After rebooting the PC only those programs defined in the various autostart locations should run. Back in the Win7 days I used "MsConfig" to find and disable stuff. But this can be dangerous. Upgrading to Win10 might be the best solution but I assume you have your reasons to use an ancient OS which is not supported anymore.

USB does not work well on Windows 7, or any pre-10 version of Windows. Microsoft fixed many bugs and problems with Windows 10. So while you might manage to get things working again on that Windows 7 machine, keep in mind version 7 is known to be buggy. The best long-term solution is to use Windows 10 (or Linux or MacOS).

First, cold reboot that Windows 7 machine. Cold means completely turn off the power. If the machine has only the "soft" power button on the front but not a physical switch on the back, unplug the power cord for several seconds to make sure the machine really does completely power off.

If the Teensy still shows up with a yellow triangle in Device Manager, that's a pretty strong sign something got messed up in the Windows Registry where Windows stores info about the USB devices it knows (rather than simply detected them - why Microsoft does this is beyond me). You want to try to get Windows to "forget" everything is knows. But don't uninstall the INF that Teensyduino installed. You only want to forget this instance. Perhaps right-clicking in the Device Manager and uninstalling the device will do it? Then unplug the cable.

If Windows as forgotten the device instance, then next time you plug the cable in, you should see Windows 7 give a notice about detecting the hardware again. DO NOT click or interfere with the device detection. On Windows 7 is can be very slow. Let it finish. With some patience and luck, hopefully it will re-detect your Teensy and assign a new COM port number and show up properly in the Device Manager.

Regardless, you should probably plan to stop using Windows 7. Microsoft stopped publishing security updates. Even with the updates, Windows 7 was very buggy. Microsoft fixed so many things about USB, but they've only ever published good USB support in Windows 10. All prior versions are terrible. Best to upgrade.

USB does not work well on Windows 7, or any pre-10 version of Windows. Microsoft fixed many bugs and problems with Windows 10. So while you might manage to get things working again on that Windows 7 machine, keep in mind version 7 is known to be buggy. The best long-term solution is to use Windows 10 (or Linux or MacOS).

First, cold reboot that Windows 7 machine. Cold means completely turn off the power. If the machine has only the "soft" power button on the front but not a physical switch on the back, unplug the power cord for several seconds to make sure the machine really does completely power off.

If the Teensy still shows up with a yellow triangle in Device Manager, that's a pretty strong sign something got messed up in the Windows Registry where Windows stores info about the USB devices it knows (rather than simply detected them - why Microsoft does this is beyond me). You want to try to get Windows to "forget" everything is knows. But don't uninstall the INF that Teensyduino installed. You only want to forget this instance. Perhaps right-clicking in the Device Manager and uninstalling the device will do it? Then unplug the cable.

If Windows as forgotten the device instance, then next time you plug the cable in, you should see Windows 7 give a notice about detecting the hardware again. DO NOT click or interfere with the device detection. On Windows 7 is can be very slow. Let it finish. With some patience and luck, hopefully it will re-detect your Teensy and assign a new COM port number and show up properly in the Device Manager.

Regardless, you should probably plan to stop using Windows 7. Microsoft stopped publishing security updates. Even with the updates, Windows 7 was very buggy. Microsoft fixed so many things about USB, but they've only ever published good USB support in Windows 10. All prior versions are terrible. Best to upgrade.

thank you.
right-clicking in the Device Manager and uninstalling the device and resinstall driver, all work now.
i can now see Teensy USB Serial on device manager, and in arduino i can see (COM14 Serial (Teensy 3.6)
waiting to install windows 10 later because i have many application development (visual studio, microchip, avr, code block, qt ...)

thanls a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back