"Teensy 4.0 DUE+" breakout with 3.3v and 5v I/O

DrOldies

I would appreciate feedback on both the concept and the specs of this breakout board.

I have created a Teensy 4.0 breakout board that allows me to work with both 3.3v and 5v digital and analog I/O. It’s in the DUE board format so I call it the “Teensy 4.0 DUE+.” It accepts both 3.3v and 5V digital, analog, and I2C output and input all on one board. All 3.3v I/O is DUE compatible, while 5v I/O is managed through 3 voltage translators.

Everything is optional – add only the translation components needed for your project requirements. This includes pullup resistors and external 3.3v/5v power. I could make this available a bare board to be populated as required, and as a Diptrace file.

I am considering also be developing a version for Teensy 4.1 but not breakout pins beyond those available on the DUE layout.

Here are the specs and layout for version 3.5. (for V3.6 I have swapped the external power and I2C to make more room for the Teensy USB cable).

“Teensy 4.0 DUE+” Specifications

This Teensy 4.0 DUE+ breakout board makes it easier to experiment with the Teensy 4.0 MCU, especially interfacing to both 3.3 volt and 5 volt external circuits. This board's features include:

1. Familier Arduino DUE (3,3v) pinout configuration and locations for use with many newer Arduino shields.
. a. Teensy 4.0 pins up to 33 are available.
. b. Analog in, 0-3.3v, pins A0-A9.
. c. Digital I/O groups, 3.3v pins 0-13, 14-21 and 22-33. Pins from 34 and up are not available.
. d. Also VBat, Program, 3.3v, 5v, ground, and ON/Reset (T4 has no reset. See note at end).
2. Several voltage supply options:
. a. 3.3 volt and 5 volt can be supplied to the DUE+ board by the Teensy 4.0 with enabling jumpers (to Teensy 4.0 current limit).
. b. Optionally, 5 volt can be externally supplied to the DUE+ board through a barrel jack. DUE+ 5 volt jumper MUST BE REMOVED to avoid damage to the Teensy 4.0.
. c. Optionally, 3.3 volt can be externally supplied to the DUE+ board (if external 5 volt input is supplied) with a TD1117 voltage regulator plus 2 capacitors (850 mA max.). DUE+ 3v jumper MUST BE REMOVED to avoid damage to the Teensy 4.0.
3. Optional Digital I/O 3.3v <> 5v auto-switching bi-directional Logic Level Converters on 8 digital I/O (pins 6-13).
. a. SPI0 pins 10- 13 are included
. b. Solder SMD TX0108 chip
. c. Or a 3rd party TX0108 (narrow or wide versions).
4. Optional I2C 3.3v <> 5v I2C compatible Logic Level Converters for I2C0 (pins 18-19) and I2C1 (pins 16-17).
5. Optional analog input voltage dividers on four lines A0-A3.
. a. Four resistor voltage dividers
. b. Socket for a user designed breakout board. For example, using a LMP7704 opamp.
6. ICSP header (3.3v).
7. Optional Pull-up resistor pads for SPI and I2C CS lines.
8. Optional power on LEDs for 3.3v and 5v.
9. All resistor and cap pads will accept 0805 SMD or through-hole (resistor placed vertically).
10. All ground traces linked to copper pour.

For DIY parts placement and soldering on manufactured DUE+ board.
• Solder on only the sockets and other components you need.
• Start from the center (Teensy4 sockets) and work outward.
• Use male pins on the 3.3 volt and 5 volt for enabling jumpers near pin 23.

For DIY parts placement and soldering on your own homemade PCB board.
• All vias have enlarged surfaces to make inserting a thin write and soldering each side easier.
• All leads on the DUE+ for Teensy4 sockets (black female Dupont sockets) are ONLY on the bottom side of the PCB for proper soldering.
• Other pads have leads on top, bottom or top and bottom making socket soldering difficult.

****NOTE FOR PINS SOLDERED ON TO DIGITAL, ANALOG, AND I2C BOARDS****

>>>One the HIGH SIDE OF THE BOARD (i.e. 5 volt side) place ONLY THE 5V and GND male pins downward. Place all other high side male pins for attaching to your external electronics. If you want to ISOLATE the external circuit 5 volts and ground from the DUE+, also place these pins facing up not down. <<<

Attachments

• board.jpg
    board.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 105
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 77
  • image3.jpg
    image3.jpg
    246.2 KB · Views: 111
  • image4.jpg
    image4.jpg