Broken on Mac: both Teensyduino and Arduino + Teensy

tjrob

This is a MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra (10.13.6). The specific version is important.

I'm using the Download page https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Download from the link "Macintosh OS Software (10.10 - 10.15)". This gives "Teensyduino_MacOS_Catalina.zip". Unpack it to get "Teensyduino.app". Put that into /Applications and the Dock, and run it. It compiles OK, but cannot upload the sketch to my Teensy 4.0. I traced this to the fact that inside the app bundle, Teensy.app is built for a more recent version of Mac OS than I am running (even though my version is within the limits given in the link).

Download from the link "Macintosh OS-X Installer (10.7 - 10.14)". This gives a .dmg containing an installer that modifies an existing Arduino.app to know about Teensy boards. It works initially, including uploading sketch to board, but then starts crashing immediately, before displaying the splash screen. Re-run Arduino.app and it crashes again. And again. And again. Rebooting the laptop does not help. Disconnecting the USB to the board does not help. It seems the app bundle gets corrupted, or some essential data it uses during startup.

There does seem to be a workaround: copy Teensy.app from inside the second into the first (they are at different places in the file tree). Teensyduino.app now works, can upload sketches, and does not crash upon startup.

Since the first download has "Catalina" in its name, I'm guessing that it probably works OK on that version of Mac OS. But as downloaded, NEITHER works for me, on maOS High Sierra (10.13.6).

Yes, it was built on 10.14. I tested it here on 10.12, and I've heard confirmation from others that it does run on 10.10 and 10.11.

Looks like this problem is specific to 10.13. Why, I do not know. Looks like we need to update the web page info about which systems it supports.

This is a MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra (10.13.6). The specific version is important.

I'm using the Download page https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Download from the link "Macintosh OS Software (10.10 - 10.15)". This gives "Teensyduino_MacOS_Catalina.zip". Unpack it to get "Teensyduino.app". Put that into /Applications and the Dock, and run it. It compiles OK, but cannot upload the sketch to my Teensy 4.0. I traced this to the fact that inside the app bundle, Teensy.app is built for a more recent version of Mac OS than I am running (even though my version is within the limits given in the link).

Download from the link "Macintosh OS-X Installer (10.7 - 10.14)". This gives a .dmg containing an installer that modifies an existing Arduino.app to know about Teensy boards. It works initially, including uploading sketch to board, but then starts crashing immediately, before displaying the splash screen. Re-run Arduino.app and it crashes again. And again. And again. Rebooting the laptop does not help. Disconnecting the USB to the board does not help. It seems the app bundle gets corrupted, or some essential data it uses during startup.

There does seem to be a workaround: copy Teensy.app from inside the second into the first (they are at different places in the file tree). Teensyduino.app now works, can upload sketches, and does not crash upon startup.

Since the first download has "Catalina" in its name, I'm guessing that it probably works OK on that version of Mac OS. But as downloaded, NEITHER works for me, on maOS High Sierra (10.13.6).

Please move just your files out of the Documents/Arduino directory and delete the Documents/Arduino directory. It will recreate the directory on the next execution correctly and prompt you for additional system level permissions. There is a permission problem that isn't handled very well and the only way to see the debug messages is to call the executable directly from a terminal prompt. Basically the directory is improperly created with the wrong permissions and there is no obvious way to correct this mistake. There is more to this than a simple chmod or Get Info for fixing the issue.

username@machine % ./Teensyduino.app/Contents/MacOS/Arduino

Back