Teensy Loader on Mac doesn't see my T4

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrshoe

Apologies for posting such a well-trodden question, but my Mac is not able to see my new Teensy 4.

Steps I've taken:
1) I've been using various Teensy devices for years. This week, I've been working on a Teensy 3.0.
2) I purchased 2 brand new Teensy 4.0s (from OSH Park)
3) My installed software was old enough to not include Teensy 4.0 support
4) I downloaded the latest Teensyduino, which supports Catalina
5) I wasn't running Catalina, and the new Teensyduino wouldn't run on my older OS X
6) I upgraded to Catalina
7) Ran into some permissions issues while trying to compile a sketch for Teensy 4.0
8) Found a forum post about how to fix the permissions issues (delete all Arduino related files from various places in my filesystem). It worked!
9) Successfully compiled an example sketch for Teensy 4.0
10) Plugged in my Teensy 4.0 and saw the blink sketch running happily
11) Pressed the program button and saw the blinking stop and the red LED near the USB connector illuminated
12) Teensy loader UI did not change, doesn't seem to see my Teensy 4.0
13) `ls -l /dev | grep -i usb` shows nothing

I realize the troubleshooting page, given the above info, suggests that my USB cable is bad. That is possible, but unlikely. I've used this USB cable with many Teensy devices, including just yesterday! It seems more likely that this is related to all the software upgrades I performed to get here.

Minor update:
1) Plugged in Teensy 3.0
2) $ ls -l /dev/ | grep -i usb
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 3 Mar 26 17:20 cu.usbmodem740901
crw-rw-rw- 1 root wheel 18, 2 Mar 26 17:20 tty.usbmodem740901
3) Teensy loader UI does detect the Teensy 3.0 when I press the program button
4) Still no love for the new Teensy 4.0 :(

Very strange problem. Maybe try the 15 second restore. Hold the button for approx 15 seconds. Release when you see the red LED flash.

Teensy 4.0 will do a complete wipe of the flash chip and restore it to a known-good program. You should see the red LED on bright for several seconds. Then it will reboot and run the LED blink example, so you'll see the orange LED blinking.

After restore, it should appear as a HID device (not serial). When you run Teensyduino (the copy of Arduino with Teensy stuff, made for Catalina), it should appear in the Tools > Ports menu as HID.

Well, the 15 second restore behaved exactly as you described. However, after that process, the device does not appear under the Tools -> Port menu in Teensyduino. Arduino -> About says "Arduino 1.8.10" and "Teensyduino 1.49-beta1".

Sounds like the Teensy is working.

Please try a different USB cable. Even if the cable works on Teensy 3, it maybe a case of a marginal cable that works at 12 Mbit speed but doesn't work with 480 Mbit speed of Teensy 4.

Also, check the version of Teensy Loader (not Arduino). Click the small Teensy Loader window. Then click Teensy > About. Make sure it is also version 1.49.

But since this isn't showing up in the Ports menu, and Teensy seems to be responding properly and returns to the orange LED blink after 15 sec restore, all signs point to a bad USB cable or some other USB connection problem.

Well, I'll be damned. I didn't think about the higher clock speed of the T4's USB. I tried about 7-8 micro USB cables I found around the house, and sure enough one of them worked! Turns out the troubleshooting page was right. Thanks, Paul.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back