Ornament and Crime Audio Library support?

O&C runs its own special firmware that doesn't use the Audio library, so it has no USB to Audio abilities .. unless there is a firmware fork that I don't know about.

Anyway, let's pretend there is a firmware fork that uses the Audio library. The Audio library supports stereo USB audio only, no multichannel.

But ... you've lost me talking about CV Tools. That seems to be just a PC MIDI controller. I'm not sure what you are asking about in regards to that. If the question is "Does Teensy speak MIDI?" the answer is yes, generally. However, the O&C firmwares don't have a USB device MIDI interface, at least any firmwares I know of.

One final note, the DAC used in the O&C is not supported in the Audio library either.

Last edited:
O&C runs its own special firmware that doesn't use the Audio library, so it has no USB to Audio abilities .. unless there is a firmware fork that I don't know about.

Anyway, let's pretend there is a firmware fork that uses the Audio library. The Audio library supports stereo USB audio only, no multichannel.

to quote the ornament & crime hardware page:
o_C is a fairly straightforward DAC breakout board for the teensy 3.1/3.2 ARM development board (cortex M4), with an OLED display..
Yes i am aware that o_C runs custom firmware versions but in the essence its a Teensy with a quad DAC and OLED. My thinking is that if we we're to forget about the OLED initially and just focus on the Teensy+DAC. Would it be visable to have an extra "output" module in the Audio System Design Tool specifically for the o_C hardware configuration? There's already an "i2s_quad" which is for dual Audio Shields. And yes i realize this means starting the firmware from scratch.

But ... you've lost me talking about CV Tools. That seems to be just a PC MIDI controller. I'm not sure what you are asking about in regards to that. If the question is "Does Teensy speak MIDI?" the answer is yes, generally. However, the O&C firmwares don't have a USB device MIDI interface, at least any firmwares I know of.
I believe your reading it wrong. To my knowlegde you can use CV Tools with a DC coupled audio interface to send modulation/automation at audio rate.

One final note, the DAC used in the O&C is not supported in the Audio library either.

Not yet. Just planting seeds.

DAC8565 support in the Audio library would be cool. I suspect the reason the original author didn't go that route is latency. Each block in your audio chain will add about 3 milliseconds to the end-to-end latency. The stock O&C firmware claims 100 microseconds of latency (https://ornament-and-cri.me/hardware-basics/). Regardless it would be neat.

The o&c has the DAC and display on the same SPI bus, It makes the timing tricky. if you want audio rate out the display might have to do nothing while it is playing.

Back