midi controller feasibility question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lokki

hi everybody,

i have a teensy 4.0 here and i wanted to ask if the following project is feasible:

-a 7x6 "key" matrix (without diodes, since i use it with my foots, and won't press more then two buttons at once)
-OLED display(s): SSD1306 type, i2c i would love to run two of those, but one would probably also work, to display state of things, button config etc.
-usb-port acts as a midi device when connected to a pc (or in my case a BELA)
-usb-host port accepts a BLOFELD synth (midi device) and can send midi messages to it
-3 or 4 serial ports are used as DIN midi outputs, midi in is not required.

That should be no problem for a Teensy 4. The project just uses 2 i2c, 4 UART and 13 I/O, so there are even pins left to do more. Processor speed and libraries are plenty and available.
And now, do you need someone to make that for you?

Also, the Teensy 4.0 has USB host on the underside. The only thing is, it is not in any way protected according USB standard and a bit picky about cable length and connectors, so the easiest and often cheapest option to use this in a project, is to take a cheap USB2 hub, desolder the host side connector and hard-wire it to the USB host pads of the Teensy 4.0. Include the hub object in the setup and it will become transparent (in a sense of "don't care about it").

That should be no problem for a Teensy 4. The project just uses 2 i2c, 4 UART and 13 I/O, so there are even pins left to do more. Processor speed and libraries are plenty and available.
And now, do you need someone to make that for you?

thanks for your answers! i think i'll give it a shot then and report back with problems. i am pretty familiar with arduino, so should be able to cook something up. i forgot to mention the 4-5 analog ins, but that should not be a problem at all. the OLED library i found for the SSD1306 made me unsure about using two displays, but i'll look into that (i used two OLEDs simultaneously on arduino before)

off to order some stuff :)

ok, now that i start to think about it... is it also possible to integrate a rj45 ethernet port and send some osc messages to a xr18 mixing desk? (similar to behringer x32) that would be absolutely killer...

i will start my endeavour tonight by hooking up some OLEDs :)

exactly! really nice thingy, low latency audio. i have built a vocal fx, a granular synth among others. recently they made it to run lv2 plugins, which is really great!

argh, i see now that i have sh1106 displays, not ssd1306. are they still supported by the same library on teensy? or can i simply use this library with the teensy: https://github.com/olikraus/u8g2 ? (my arduino code compiles and uploads just fine on the teensy, but i did not yet connect a display) or any arduino library? sorry i am not yet used to the teensy, so i don't know if there is an arduino hardware "abstraction" layer that remaps pins etc. or if every library has to be rewritten for teensy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back