Eagle library with Teensy 4.0 (test)

eagleman

I think I've created an Eagle library containing only the Teensy 4.0 as I see it. I've included POGO pins for pins 24-33 but would still like to add pins for D+ and D-. I may need a little help from PJRC or the forum on exact locations for the D pins.
The POGO pins for pins 24-33 nicely fit using the POGO pins recently obtained from Amazon.
The pins are in a package of 100 for $11.05 and with U.S. Prime shipping in about 7 days or less.

They are listed as Part number M3180716026 and described as:
Mxfans 100x Gold-Plated 9mm Long Copper Needles Thimbles Probes Spring POGO pin

I have 100 on my desk and they seem OK to me.
Total length : 9mm
Hole size : 1mm .039 drill works with a little leeway.
Base width: : 2mm
Tip : 2mm

Hopefully the Eagle library is attached below and it contains the device named Teensy40.

>> SEE POST #10 >> Eagle-library-with-Teensy-4-0-(test)

I've created Eagle devices before but never tried to share them so if you savvy forum members that use Eagle for PCB design would review this Teensy 4.0 device and give CONSTRUCTIVE criticism and advice it would be greatly appreciated.
I already have a PCB designed using 3 Teensy 4.0 plugins and it is almost ready to submit to jlcpcb.com for trial run of 5 boards delivered to the U.S. for $28.75 with 6-7 day delivery.

I also have a device designed for the Teensy 3.6 with the same POGO pins that I can post if the 4.0 device looks OK.
Please advise...

Attachments

• teensy.zip
    3 KB · Views: 2,355
Last edited by a moderator:
I took a look at it. I did my own and made several PCBs with it. Overall, your's looks like it works. Things that stand out
- Some PCB houses are pretty heavy with the through hole plating. Your hole size is probably ok but I generally go up to 0.0393 for pin headers. JLCPCB seems to be about average.
- What's with the elongated Vin pad? Does that pass DRC? Probably ok. Looks odd to me.
- I see you've moved the backside pin rows, 24-33, so they center on the two SMD pad rows for your pogos. Though, the 24-26-..-32 row seems a bit off center. I'd expect the two backside rows to be 175 - 200 mils apart. Your positioning will probably work, though.

I'm a little leery of pogo pins. Probably ok for a lot of applications but in an environment where there is vibration/shock, I'd be reluctant. I'm looking forward to the T4.1 as I'm not a fan of soldering in backside pins.

philo,
Thanks for your input and I will recheck my pin headers. I thought they were .039, but I'll check and correct. The VIN pad was just a "thang" and I was ready to remove it if it got in the way. It does pass DRC. Also, I will recheck the POGO pin holes centering. My pins came in Friday and I checked for correct hole sizes and general fitment. I'll recheck alignment. Should I post the Teensy 3.6 device after rechecking it?
I am eagerly looking forward to the T4.1 also. I need more analog pins. That's why my current board has 3 T40 plugs that will communicate through SPI. Thanks again for your input.

Checked the POGO pins for 24-33 and did spread them farther from the center by 5% for better alignment. Also measured for D+ and D- POGO positions and added them to the new device. I'll recheck it in the morning and then post the new device. That will give me more time to gather other comments and added time to update the T3.6 device for review.

Last edited:
updates to Eagle library for Teensy 3.6 & Teensy 4.0

Here is the update to my Eagle Teensy library containing devices for Teensy4.0 and Teensy3.6.
I am asking Eagle savvy forum members to confirm accuracy and practicality of these devices since this is the first time I've published Eagle devices. I have a Teensy 4.0 so I am fairly confident that it is correct. I DO NOT have a Teensy 3.6 so there may be some improvements to suggested. Both devices utilize POGO pins as described above for some of the bottom smd pads. These POGO pins have a pin and flanged base to sit inside AND on top of the via.

I do have a few questions regarding using the Teensy devices in a schematic:
1: should both 3.3v pins be tied together by a motherboard trace or are they separate voltages or tied together on the module?
2: USB connections on the module; are they shared with any other I/O pins?
3: Exact spacing on bottom side smd pads; is there a written spec showing exact placement?

Would greatfully accept any CONSTRUCTIVE criticism towards improving this library that hopefully will be of benefit to other users.

Attachments

• teensy.zip
    5.7 KB · Views: 466
Last edited by a moderator:
luni,
I did look at that collections of devices, but I was specifically looking for a device for the Teensy 4.0. Did I miss finding one

I mentioned the POGO pins that I had bought and maybe wasn't clear about the base... I referred to the "pin and flanged base" and was commenting that the POGO pin has a flat, "flanged base" to allow it to easily solder flatly and squarely on the via and a "pin" that keeps the POGO pin located in the proper position and provides additional strength for the vertical pins. Obviously, smd pads or through hole pads are preferred for extreme temperature, heavy vibration, and other extreme environments over POGO pins but we have to work with what we have. Looking forward to making an Eagle device for the Teensy 4.1!

thank you SO MUCH for making this footprint @eagleman..

I don't have a Teensy in front of me to compare the footprint but it looks like you did a great job and when I get to using this library I'll be sure to edit and post my corrections.

The only thing that might help this library is identifying Pin functions on the schematic symbol, but perhaps those are trivial details.

Thanks again.

Mehow.

I noticed that in the schematic symbol it shows the name of the pin inside the box and outside as well. I changed this so that it's only inside the box.... Pin Visibility = Pin (instead of Both).

teensy 4 visibility.jpg

Visibility = Both
teensy4 visibility  = both.jpg

Visibility = Pin
Teensy4 visibility  = pin.jpg

Mehow, Thanks.. Your input gratefully accepted. I was so worried about getting things in the right place I didn't notice the dual names.

Updated Eagle liibrary for Teensy including 4.1

Here is an update to the Eagle library in post #1 & #4 for Teensy 3.6, 4.0 AND now 4.1. The 4.1 device is made with physical measurements on the new Teensy 4.1 production unit received today. My digital caliper has limited accuracy so any better specs or other correction or enhancements would be appreciated.

View attachment teensy.zip

posts #1 & #4 Teensy.lib are superceded in post 10 with corrections and addition of Eagle device for Teensy 4.1.

You have the Ethernet pins starting at a Y coordinate of 0.0983" away from the side pins. I think that should probably be 0.1". (Or 0.15" from the closest edge.)

Your symbol is very crowded. I could not find pin 0 or pin 1. (The descriptions overlap with other pin descriptions.) Maybe put the "inside pins" like Ethernet and USB into groups away from the regular pins?

This is what I'm working on right now. This omits the VUSB because it's not on the information card that came with mine. (Neither are the other interior pins but the VUSB escaped me until I was putting my T4.1 down on the printout to check the pins.)
T41 Symbol.jpg

Morgan, thanks for your reply...

On my screen I don't have any description overlaps on the symbol diagram(?)
Pin 0 and pin 1 on the symbol diagram are on the right below the USB connections.

Pins 0 and 1 are "0-RX1/CS1/CRX2" and "1-TX1/MISO1/CTX2" and
they are grouped together with the other RX/TX combinations in sequence.

Grouping on the symbols might be different for the different needs of each board design. On my boards I have all of my ADC
inputs coming from connectors on the left of the Teensy. I also prefaced the description of the pin functions with the actual pin number(ie. "25-A11/RX6/SDA2") for clarity.
Usually, when designing a symbol diagram I usually leave spaces between functional groups, but on larger symbols I might omit the spaces in trying to save space on my schematic drawing. Also, I always put the power inputs at the top, grounds at the bottom, inputs to the left and outputs to the right. I find this works best for me for the proper overall flow in the schematic.

I especially liked the way you annotated the ethernet pins and I hope you don't mind, but I incorporated your idea into the next update to my symbol design.

The footprint does have a lot of little pin description overlaps and is quite busy, but that helps me to proof the traces as I am laying out the board. Sometimes while laying out traces, the extra verbage on the board drawing helps me to find a better pin/trace configuration that works better on the board.

On the footprint, the offset from the ethernet pins to the side pins or board edge could be slightly wrong because of my poor measuring capabilities. I will try to do a more accurate measurement and update the library as needed.
Thanks again for your much appreciated input.

This is what I see...
T41 Symbol2.png

But I'm on an old version of Eagle (7.5.0) so maybe that makes a difference in the text size.

Looking at mine again, I also added "USB Host" next to the USB pins.

I actually have a couple of different footprints with or without the interior pins, so they have different symbols. There is a school of thought which says your schematic symbols should exactly copy the physical pin layout on the part. The theory is that if you do have requirements like keeping digital away from analog, you can see that split on the schematic as well as on the PCB. I don't fully subscribe to that but I do try to make my Teensy/Arduino symbols look a little bit like the actual part - in this example pin 32 and 33 are opposite each other at one end.

Yes, the usb and ethernet pins in the library are in the correct location per Paul.

I try to avoid kitchen sink symbols so I set up the USB Host and ethernet headers as separate symbols.
teensy 41.png

update to Eagle Teensy library 5/16/20

With the help of the forum I think we have the Eagle teensy.lib up to date for Teensys 3.6 - 4.1.
I've included two versions of Teensy 4.1:

TEENSY41 has all of the holes/pads for the 4.1 including ethernet and two POGO holes for D- and D+.

TEENSY41-E is minus holes/pads for the ethernet ("-E") and minus POGO holes/pads for D- and D+.

TEENSY41-E (minus Ethernet) is for use where the ethernet pins and USB POGO pins are not used on the board.

Also:
fixed error on footprint pin 8 description and
fixed error in positioning DM/DP versus D-/D+ on the symbol.
positioned ethernet pins to conform to https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/60851...l=1#post238986
clarified ethernet pins and USB pins on symbols.

Pin placement on the symbols is sometimes positioned to afford minimal confusion in the overall schematic drawing. I sometimes redraw the symbols from schematic to schematic so that the overall drawing is less of a nightmare.

Also, pin descriptions may run into each other depending (I think) on variations in Eagle setups such as revisions, Host systems, font preferences, etc.

Thanks to MorganS and ecurtz and others for their constructive input.

View attachment teensy.zip

Please advise me if any more corrections or additions are needed.

luni, please feel free to distribute it to where ever... I haven't placed it anywhere except this forum. I've posted to github so maybe it is time for me to learn.

Thanks, added a link to the zip file from p#18. A GitHub repo would be better since you could do later improvements without changing the link.

In response to a suggestion to post the Eagle library on github....

you find my first github repository with the teensy.lib (I think.. if I did it correctly) at

https://github.com/eagleman1022/Eagle-Library-Teensy

It would be appreciated if a forum member would check out the link to see if it all works as hoped.
If the repository works then in the future I'll just update the repository.

thanks

It would be better to not zip the files. Users can then just clone your library to their libraries folder and simply pull any changes you make later. I know, GIT is a bit weird at a first glance but it is worth reading into it...

I updated the link to your git repo in the user WIKI https://github.com/TeensyUser/doc/wiki/ECAD

Back