Eagle library with Teensy 4.0 (test)

Hi, I have a library that is in my git repository here. Look for teensy4.1.dist.zip. I use this on several boards including one with Ethernet pictured below.

Attachments

• R6278738_DxO.jpg
    R6278738_DxO.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 233
Thank you very much - I like the separate USB Host block and it follows the footprint pins layout

Thanks for the library eagleman! It's working great for me in Fusion 360.

I have a question about the pogo pins you have used - do you have more comprehensive measurements? I'm trying to find an equivalent part on Digikey but I'm not sure of the correct tip diameter.

I don't know if anyone will see this as this post is almost two years old but I am in a rush to get a PCB for a project for college out into production. Can someone help me with where to get the right pogo pins for a teensy 4.1 USB D+ and D- pads? I found out about pogo pins' existence about five minutes ago and I can't seem to find a comprehensive way to know which ones will work for my needs. I want to have the option of using the micro-b port or a USB-c port to power and communicate with the board so I am trying to attach an external USB-c breakout board to the pads.

... saw this message ... maybe this post will double the chances somebody with pogo pin understanding to help with specs.

They are odd to spec ... seen them used in Paul's Beta board for T_4.0 and others ...

Given the right base style for the pin hole - the compressed length varies with the connection of the PCB to the Teensy - pins and headers (tall or short)? Then there are different tip contact types.

Search of the T_4.0 Beta thread might show what PJRC used on those Beta boards?

Also look here for some ref: tindie.com/products/loglow/teensy-32-breakout-revision-d/
>> 4× Pogo Pin (Mill-Max 0906-1-15-20-75-14-11-0)
2017-01-29T01%3A32%3A29.707Z-IMG_4929.JPG

You might be onto something there...
What are the odds that this Teensy 3.2 Reset pad is the same size as the D+ and D- pads on the 4.1?
teensy32b.jpg
card11b_rev4_web.png

You might be onto something there...
What are the odds that this Teensy 3.2 Reset pad is the same size as the D+ and D- pads on the 4.1?

As long as it is CENTERED and the right Sprung Height - Seems it should work as long as it makes contact with proper pressure

Here is what the T_4.0 Beta looks like - but on that board those are the HOST USB pads unlike on the T_4.1 where they duplicate the DEVICE USB.
T4betaPOGO.png

In the background are the multiple POGO pins to the group of SDCARD pads and other on the T_4.0 bottom. You can see narrower tip on the SD(SDIO) card pins

I probably ought to use headers as you show in that T_4.0 Beta picture, huh...
Do you have the name of the pins used there? Also, does it give hints at the PCB pads for the pins? I'm not seeing a link to it.

I probably ought to use headers as you show in that T_4.0 Beta picture, huh...
Do you have the name of the pins used there? Also, does it give hints at the PCB pads for the pins? I'm not seeing a link to it.

Paul sent (spring of 2019) a few extra to populate other POGO pins - I used most of them - the couple I had left are hidden somewhere now, but it was just loose pins with no identifying markings. Scanning old email I don't see the part number was provided.

@KurtE may have used POGO pins and could provide a fitting part# in a couple hours when his dogs wake him up. Or maybe Paul will scan this and have it on hand.

You can see the USB pins are stout, the SD card pins are finer pitch and spindly and Paul made the visible plastic support to hold and align them. All those spring pins were enough to raise the Teensy from its socket over time when the headers loosened up. Just two might not cause trouble with tight header fit and no vibration.

Sorry I have never tried connecting up to those pads with the T4.1...
I did earlier on with T4 used pogo pins for the USB Host pins. I don't remember which ones I ended up using. I ordered a few different ones from digikey To figure out how high I needed depending on the
size of the sockets I was using to hold the t4...

I started off with circular pads. Something like a 74mil with 40 mil hole, on one board. I think later I changed to a obround or the like to make it easier to get solder in...

But again long time since I looked for the pins....

If you know anyone else who might have an idea of those pin specs, I'd really appreciate it if you'd ask them. Really need this together quickly. I appreciate your help so far!

Sorry,
First off if you are looking for eagle layout stuff, I am probably not much help as I use diptrace.

As for what I did, I purchased several different ones and experimented. Not sure which ones I was using as prefer playing with T41 which I don't need these for.
And I only do it for my own fun. When I wish to build something inside a case I usually just get a short usb extension cable, and plug it in...
like: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/15464

As for which pin, again I am probably not much help, I ordered a few different ones to experiment with:
like: https://www.digikey.com/en/products.../5722643?s=N4IgTCBcDaIKYBMCMAWMAGAtAOwSAugL5A

You can see many of the ones like this through that products sheet: https://media.digikey.com/pdf/Data Sheets/Mill Max PDFs/Spring Loaded Connectors.pdf
Which shows you many of the options, like how long and short they can be and minimum size of hole, etc.

I don't know if anyone will see this as this post is almost two years old but I am in a rush to get a PCB for a project for college out into production. Can someone help me with where to get the right pogo pins for a teensy 4.1 USB D+ and D- pads? I found out about pogo pins' existence about five minutes ago and I can't seem to find a comprehensive way to know which ones will work for my needs. I want to have the option of using the micro-b port or a USB-c port to power and communicate with the board so I am trying to attach an external USB-c breakout board to the pads.

I would not recommend pogo pins except for test fixtures that have to accept a board without damaging it severely and only have to operate the board for a few minutes to an hour. If this is a permanent connection then just solder to the pads. If this is a production run of hundreds or thousands then you probably should use a different board instead of the Teensy.

And if you really want both kinds of connectors as options, just provide a converter cable as part of the kit.

Can you give me a recommendation on how to solder to these kinds of tiny pads? I’ve already ripped one off before because I’m inexperienced.

Practice on some similar things?

Assuming the trouble was the angled pins to the bottom of the Teensy?

Seems this is the process used here and noted at the time working with those kits:
When doing this it is best to get female headers across in place from the outside pins holding the 'angled pin' piece in place (this frees up a hand and keeps it where needed so it can't move and stress the heated pad) with enough room to tack that piece into place. not too much heat or solder just enough to secure it in place with the pins that can be reached.

Then carefully remove that header piece holding the angled pin part that is now at least pinned in place.

Finish soldering remaining pads to the angled pins, and then carefully reapply heat and solder and perhaps flux as needed to get good connections on all the pins.

It is hard to reach and delicate work. Too much heat and any physical stress will unfortunately take the pads off. Too much solder and the pads can be bridged together. Flux is your friend as it makes the solder flow but, should be cleaned when done.

Back