Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Connecting together multiple boards

Connecting together multiple boards

I am working a project to make a midi controller with 64 analog inputs. I was wondering if their is a way to either connect multiple teensy 2.0's together either in code or through a usb bus to send 1 midi channel. Is it possible to just have the CC inputs for each board set to a different value on the same channel. For example for first board sending 12 inputs would be channel 1 CC 0-11, board 2 Channel 1 CC 12-23 ect. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

maybe you try the following approach:
    - take 5 teensy 2.0 and connect 13 analog inputs each, one only 12 inputs (5 * 12 - 1 = 64)
    - connect all 5 teensys with a bus system, either I2C or SPI (preferably)
    - one of the 5 teensy has a bit more work to do, it is the master of the bus (SPI or I2C) and transfers the data via USB

Possible problem is 4 teensy have to work in slave mode, I do not know whether the libraries for I2C or SPI enable this for teensy 2.0, possibly using 5 teensy 3.2 is a solution

It should also be considered whether the 64 analog inputs are not easier to reach with a multiplexer and only one teensy.

Hmmm, why T2.0? The LC is cheaper and faster. Though to do 64 you will need 6 LCs. (still cheaper than T2s) Or, you could use T3.2s that support up to 20 Analog inputs each. Is 64 a sacred number? 3 T3.2s or 5 LCs would get you 60.

Also, what are your sample rates and sample bit sizes? Have you figured out your total data rates? I can see how it would be easy to need up to 10s of megabits/sec in raw bit transfer rate with all inputs going. DMA could be your friend...

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Hmmm, why T2.0? The LC is cheaper and faster. Though to do 64 you will need 6 LCs. (still cheaper than T2s) Or, you could use T3.2s that support up to 20 Analog inputs each. Is 64 a sacred number? 3 T3.2s or 5 LCs would get you 60.

Also, what are your sample rates and sample bit sizes? Have you figured out your total data rates? I can see how it would be easy to need up to 10s of megabits/sec in raw bit transfer rate with all inputs going. DMA could be your friend...
    I have only used the 2.0 before so thats why. I did make a schematic for using the 2.0++ and 8 multiplexers to get to 64 inputs but I worry about voltage drop. The boards only need to be 8 bit because its only sending midi data.

I currently use a Livid Brain V2 but livid is pretty much defunct at this point so I am trying to make something that emulates that same idea of a central brain bus that can connect to other pcbs using ribbon cables.

Except for dealing with the 3.3V issue, the ARM based Teensys are head and shoulders above the 8 bit stuff. Particularly when it comes to speed but lots of great peripherals. You'll find that it's super trivial to move up to them. And 3.3V is not a problem at all, just something to keep in mind.

How about a Teensy reading the analog inputs of 4 of these over I2C

https://www.adafruit.com/product/732

Quote Originally Posted by potatotron View Post

I looked into this with CD4501 from TI. About 50 cents a chip and can achieve the same thing result for less cost I think.

Quote Originally Posted by potatotron View Post

But that is a MCP23017, which is digital only (i.e. with it you can do either digitalWrite or digitalRead, but not analogRead). I think you meant either the ADS1115 or ADS1015:

<edit>
    But even so, you can only have 4 ADS1015 or ADS1115's on an I2C bus due to address limitations. That would at most 16 analog single ended inputs (or 8 differential channels).

You can go to an I2C multiplexer to get 8 separate I2C buses, but then the question is can you read all of the inputs with all of the switching fast enough that the human won't notice.

Now, a Teensy 3.6 has 4 I2C buses, so in theory you could get up to 64 inputs without using a multiplexer. Plus of course, the Teensy 3.6 has 25 pins that can do analog input (but 4 of the pins are used for the 1st and 2nd I2C buses).

The Teensy 3.5 only has 3 I2C buses, but it has 27 pins that can do analog inputs (and again 4 analog pins are used for the 1st and 2nd I2C buses).

I tend to think this is getting complicated, and it is better to have 8 cheaper processors that each have 8 analog inputs, and output via some communication method. I2C may be too slow, but perhaps using a UART line, and have the processor return all 8 inputs in one I/O (complete with a checksum).

Perhaps a Teensy LC for simplicity of programming, perhaps a raw AVR 328p chip running at 8Mhz and 3.3v. If you have more processors, each with 8 inputs, it becomes easier to test, and you can build a few spares, so that when one goes on the fritz, it is easy to replace 8 inputs, than 32.
    Last edited by MichaelMeissner; 04-08-2020 at 06:18 AM.

ADS1115.....is slow....but I use them..

use 2 teensy 4.1 w 2 I2C and 1 of these ...on each buss.......not fast tho....here is a pic... the ADS chips on the back and terminals/jumpers on the top....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1115bus.GIF 
Views:	65 
Size:	189.8 KB 
ID:	20919

board file is zipped......below...
    Attached Files Attached Files