Teensy 3.6 or 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

rahim özkaymak

Hi everyone,
First of all, forgive me for my English.
I have been working with Arduino boards for a couple of years by now. I am developing a model rocket control system. It has a micro SD card for data logging, altitude and gyro sensors and servo motors for controlling the rocket. I am going to bring all components together in a PCB. I was wondering which board should I get for my needs. I want a small form factor overall. Is the micro SD card port on 3.6 easier to use than an external one? Does it have any special code or libraries? Is the performance drop worth the onboard SD card?
If not, I am going to use a Teensy 4.0 and a micro SD breakout board. Also, one part I am hesitating to use the 4.0 is because I couldn't find any fritzing parts for it. There are some 3.6 parts for fritzing. I am just a hobbyist so I have no idea how to use things like eagle.

Hope you can help me :)

Hi and welcome,

T3.6 or T4? Hard to say, depends on your needs. If you need/want to use. They both support SDCards, but on T3.6 it is already you have it as part of the chip so easy to use. With T4 there are pads on bottom, where you can setup to use something like a flex connector or some adapters that some up here on the forum have made...
You also have the option of the T3.5 - which you lose the ability to hook up USB host support(but you did not mention that as requirement). The 3.5 is nice if you need to interface to any 5v devices as all digital pins are 5v tolerant which the T4/T3.6 are not. T4 is faster, more memory. But T3.6 has been around longer so if there could be a few libraries supported on the T3.x which have not yet been converted to work with T4. T3.x has some better Analog capabilities than T4.

Note: with some of the boards I am playing with, I design them to allow me to use either T4 or T3.5/6. - Why, because as a hobbyist, it allows me a lot of flexibility. Especially since there is an adapter board that another member designed, that allows you to make the T4 have a T3.6 layout. So you can get all of the bottom pins. And when PJRC releases the new T4.1, it has the same form factor as the the T3.6 at least for the external rows of pins. So hopefully I will simply be able to plug one in.

Using this on chip supported adapters uses a different sub-system (SDIO) versus normal external SD adapters which uses SPI. SDIO uses 4 data bits versus the one data bit of SPI...
How much of a difference this would make in real life, is hard to say.

Fritzing - I don't use, but depending on what features you are using of the T4, you can probably get away with using a T3.2 setup in the software and just know that some of the pins don't exist or a few have slightly different features...

I personally use DipTrace, which I found a lot more intuitive than Eagle. Dip trace has the ability to import from Eagle and I think now with beta can export back to eagle...
I think I saw that someone has an Eagle to Fritzing converter up on github, again I don't use either, but maybe you can do it using a converter.

I know that there have been some Eagle T4 files that have been posted. I thought there were some in the big Teensy 4 beta thread, but did not see them any more.
If you do an external search you can find some like:
https://github.com/mng-25/Teensy4.0_Eagle

I know there are others as well. Earlier I grabbed one, and converted to diptrace.

Again I don't know if I answered any of your question.

Hi and welcome,

T3.6 or T4? Hard to say, depends on your needs. If you need/want to use. They both support SDCards, but on T3.6 it is already you have it as part of the chip so easy to use. With T4 there are pads on bottom, where you can setup to use something like a flex connector or some adapters that some up here on the forum have made...
You also have the option of the T3.5 - which you lose the ability to hook up USB host support(but you did not mention that as requirement). The 3.5 is nice if you need to interface to any 5v devices as all digital pins are 5v tolerant which the T4/T3.6 are not. T4 is faster, more memory. But T3.6 has been around longer so if there could be a few libraries supported on the T3.x which have not yet been converted to work with T4. T3.x has some better Analog capabilities than T4.

Note: with some of the boards I am playing with, I design them to allow me to use either T4 or T3.5/6. - Why, because as a hobbyist, it allows me a lot of flexibility. Especially since there is an adapter board that another member designed, that allows you to make the T4 have a T3.6 layout. So you can get all of the bottom pins. And when PJRC releases the new T4.1, it has the same form factor as the the T3.6 at least for the external rows of pins. So hopefully I will simply be able to plug one in.

Using this on chip supported adapters uses a different sub-system (SDIO) versus normal external SD adapters which uses SPI. SDIO uses 4 data bits versus the one data bit of SPI...
How much of a difference this would make in real life, is hard to say.

Fritzing - I don't use, but depending on what features you are using of the T4, you can probably get away with using a T3.2 setup in the software and just know that some of the pins don't exist or a few have slightly different features...

I personally use DipTrace, which I found a lot more intuitive than Eagle. Dip trace has the ability to import from Eagle and I think now with beta can export back to eagle...
I think I saw that someone has an Eagle to Fritzing converter up on github, again I don't use either, but maybe you can do it using a converter.

I know that there have been some Eagle T4 files that have been posted. I thought there were some in the big Teensy 4 beta thread, but did not see them any more.
If you do an external search you can find some like:
https://github.com/mng-25/Teensy4.0_Eagle

I know there are others as well. Earlier I grabbed one, and converted to diptrace.

Again I don't know if I answered any of your question.

Thank you for taking your time and answering my question. Now that I learned, I think the most important part is 5v support. Unfortunately there is no one selling T3.5 boards at Turkey. Is there a way I can use 5v parts with the T4.0 or the T3.6 ? Is there any other boards you will recommend for me to use?

Hello Rahim,

i am working on a similar project and was wondering which sensor you use?
In my project I use a Teensy 3.6 wired up with MPU-9250 and i am messuring vibrations, which are written on the SD Card. But now i think of using Teensy 4.0, a Bluetooth module and a power supply to be independant from USB power source.

What kind of sensor do you use?
How do you manage power supply?

Hello Nils,
I am using BNO055 and BME280 from Adafruit as sensors. I am also using Bluefruit LE UART Friend Bluetooth module. I have some RGB Leds, buzzers and mosfets for triggering my pros. I selected Teensy 3.6 and ordered it mainly because of its integrated SD card and library compatibilities. I did not use anything other than Arduino and I was worried of the incompatibilities that might come up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back