Teensy 4.0 Typing Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SkinnyRaD

Hi,

I was testing out my new Teensy 4.0 with some scripts that seem to run fine on previous Teensy versions, and I noticed that when I used the 4.0, it was mistyping things. At this point I don't believe the Teensy is the problem but maybe it's my computer's ability to keep up with the Teensy. Here is my test code.

Code:
void setup() {
  // put your setup code here, to run once:
  delay(8000);
}

void loop() 
{
  Keyboard.print("Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd: Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.");
  exit(0);
}

Here is the output from running that code 5 consecutive times. I restarted the Teensy each time. The first line is the original text copy and pasted by me. It's the control of the experiment.

Code:
Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd: Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.
Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd:Wia beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill's  Tse that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten foraontheT THEE< Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigerethan thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.
Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou b some place With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten hmt's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.
Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd: Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.
Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd: Make sweet some vurl; ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which -appl's. Tse  uat isy ot  orbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.
Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd:W Ma beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan;yThwh'sh hrppies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.

My computer is several years old, but I don't consider a 4GHz i7 with 16G of ram that old. But maybe it is. Is there anyway to slow the typing speed down?

Thanks everyone for any help you can provide.

Ran the code on a T_4 here uploaded twice as written and then powered OFF / ON twice - works well on this computer { i7-6700 at 3.4 Ghz w/32 GB RAM }.
The T_4.0 is a 480 Mbps device and here is is USB3 port throught USB 3 Hub with new 1 foot USB cable to the T_4 final Beta hardware board.

Code:

NOTE: I powered Off/On 4 more times and got the same proper text.
Also Note: I used Windows Notepad for the target of the keyboard output. It is possible the receiving program is not handling the incoming data?

The computer I originally tested on is an i7-4790K. I switched over to my laptop, i7-8750H, and it never missed a character. I am also using Notepad to type on both.

My big issue is that when I run my intended scripts, the computers the Teensy will be typing on will be slower than either of my two boxes. I'm afraid I might have to write a function to manually knock this thing down a peg or two.

If anyone has a slower computer in the range of an i7-4790K or slower, I'd love to know if this is affecting you.

Trying something like this might help - put braces on the for() if needed and add a delayMicroseconds( ??? ) if still too fast:
Code:
void setup() {
	// put your setup code here, to run once:
	delay(8000);
}

void loop()
{
	char szTxt[] = "Then let not winter's ragged hand deface In thee thy summer, ere thou be distill'd: Make sweet some vial; treasure thou some place With beauty's treasure, ere it be self-kill'd. That use is not forbidden usury, Which happies those that pay the willing loan; That's for thyself to breed another thee, Or ten times happier, be it ten for one; Ten times thyself were happier than thou art, If ten of thine ten times refigured thee: Then what could death do, if thou shouldst depart, Leaving thee living in posterity? Be not self-will'd, for thou art much too fair To be death's conquest and make worms thine heir.";
	for ( uint32_t ii = 0; ii < sizeof(szTxt); ii++)
		Keyboard.print((char) szTxt[ii]);
	exit(0);
}

That's probably printing a NULL - not sure if that hurts … looks the same here

No problem here running the code from message #1. Restarted Teensy4 5 times. Viewing output in Notepad window.
Machine is i5-2400 3.1GHz, 16GB ram, Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Arduino 1.8.12, Teensyduino 1.51. Teensy4 connected to USB3 port.

Paul

Just broke out my i5-4210U with 8G of ram. Pulled up notepad and everything worked flawlessly. It didn't skip a beat.

I am at a loss as to what is happening with my desktop computer, the i7-4790K. It is having some critical issues handling the T_4 and I have no idea why. It has no problem with the T_2. When I check the performance my CPU is near idle and the memory usage is way low. Could it be the USB bus. Has anyone experienced anything like this before?

Last edited:
Solved It! After eliminating every possible avenue, including potential driving issues, it came down to the motherboard itself. I haven't updated my BIOS since I got the computer 6 years ago. The BIOS was so old that I had to update it with a intermediate load before I could get the latest BIOS. For anyone in the future that has the same issue, here's the details.

ASUS Z97-K/CSM Motherboard
Go here to get the BIOS updates: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z97KCSM/HelpDesk_Download/
Download the version just above your BIOS version, mine was 2202, and the latest version. If you can't update to the latest after updating to the version just above yours, get the next one up and continue up the ladder.
The BIOS will not let you update to a version you are not ready for.

The Teensy 4 now types without an error. I truly hope this was the issue. I've tested it with the test script above and my intended script and everything is golden.

I'm still not certain of the exact cause of the problem, and would love to hear anyone's explanation, but it did solve the problem.

Hope this helps someone in the future and thanks to everyone here that helped me deconflict the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back