Teensy 4.0 + WS2812B Adalight/Ambilight issue (Teensy randomly messed up?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

NextFlo

Hello everyone,

I hope you're doing great. I really like the idea of an ambilight and rocked a old Lightpack gen 1 for some years but I wanted to upgrade, which I did with an DIY solution.

First I used an Arduino Nano I had lying around with this code: https://github.com/dmadison/Adalight-FastLED

Combined with a 60LED/m WS2812B strip around my monitor which gives me a total of 130 LEDs. I did a quick sketch of the wiring with Fritzing:
SUcPusC.png

To actually control everything, I used the custom Prismatik version I used ever since I owned a Lightpack.

Problem is tho, I can't get a good FPS for controling the LEDs since the Baudrate is pretty much capped at 115200 and going higher introduced lot's of errors. (Atmega328P just can't handle more)

So I saw the Teensy by accident and just bought the new 4.0 one.

I hooked it up the same as I did with the Arduino Nano and used the same software, since it's supposed to be compatible right? I quickly found out, that I had to run FastLed in parrallel mode to make that work. And it did. In Prismatik I could use high Baudrates such as 500.000 and could easily run something like 70FPS+ without issues.

1. But then somehow randomly after a few minutes up to a few hours it just stops working altogether. I had different Teensy fails:

- All LEDs turn dark except the first one, which is then stuck at green
- All LEDs turn dark except the first 28 which are stuck to the last color they were supposed to show
- All LEDs turn dark

The above happens with Screen grabbing but also in one color mode.

2. Contuining after that:

- Restarting Prismatik => Did not fix the issue
- Restarting Teensy => Did not fix the issue, it returns to the fail state from above
- Restarting everything altogether => Did not fix the issue

3. What did fix the issue: I had to recompile the program with Arduino IDE and upload it again to the Teensy => Everything works again

...right until it crashes down and goes back to 1. again.

I checked for shorts but couldn't find any. And I really have no idea why that happens. Is it possible that I have a faulty Teensy or is that FastLED lib just not working right on the Teensy?

In Arduino (+ Teensyduino) I use standard settings, so no OC. Teensy is purely hooked up to PC. LED powerline is separate only sharing ground (5V 10A capable Power supply). I do not have any of those issue with the Nano which ran for around a week until I tried the Teensy.

The code for the Teensy is the same as from the github link above, I just changed FastLED.addLeds to use parallel output
MZNZk1h.png

While "NUM_STRIPS" equals 1 defined above.

Sorry for the long text but thank you for reading it through. If someone has ideas or solutions, that would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Flo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back