Teensy 4.1 Beta Test

Still stepping through some simple regression testing, so please ignore if others have done. Just tested SD lib functionality, and examples ran fine. Was able to write and read and list files with no issues.
Initializing SD card...initialization done.
DATALOG.TXT 184680
done!

Still stepping through some simple regression testing, so please ignore if others have done. Just tested SD lib functionality, and examples ran fine. Was able to write and read and list files with no issues.
Initializing SD card...initialization done.
DATALOG.TXT 184680
done!

Good regression process Don, some general first pass was made with early beta boards - but knowing it works now weeks later after those using them diverged to alternate things - is good it is still solid and repeatable on current boards and TD release.

Another thread showing issue with T_4.0 and Rev D audio - worked here. Compiled and uploaded to T_4.1 with it's own Rev D and that also worked:

tested it with the example code from "Audio/Tutorial/Part_1_02_Hardware_Test" and the "Audio/Synthesis/Guitar" example on (…) Teensyduino (…) 1.52 Beta #4

Also confirmed the code here {FFT-on-Teesy-4} to work on T_4.0 and T_4.1 with FFT fed from AudioInputAnalog - though with TD 1.52 B4 it fails to build on T_3.6

Thanks defragster, I've got a dozen tests I'm planning to run through, including displays, IMUs, DC and stepper motors, SPI motor encoder, AHRS algorithms, GPS interfaces and datalogging, and more. These early ones are pretty basic, but others more complex. Am following others' testing and discussions, as it's very interesting to see!

I just soldered my W25Q128JVSIQ chip to the Teensy 4.1 beta, and I was trying to test it out with SPIFFS.

I downloaded:

There doesn't seem to be a spiffs-config.h file. There is one in the default sub-directory, but that seems to be more geared towards testing under Linux. Is there an appropriate spiffs-config.h for the Teensy 4.1?

@mjs513 redid this to be cleaner and I haven't looked in recent weeks - my version is in '...\libraries\SPIFFS\src\spiffs_config.h' { dated 4 March. }

WAIT … you want … github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram/tree/master/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4

'pellepl/spiffs' is what FrankB pulled in to start with

@MichaelMeissner - Compiling and running : \libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\flashtest6\flashtest6.ino

That works … but … Uses the PSRAM - not the FLASH. Looking for a FLASH example …

@mjs513 - this example won't build :: ...\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\eram_spiffs_partv3\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino
Code:
"T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_eram_spiffs_partv3.ino\\sketch\\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino.cpp" -o "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_eram_spiffs_partv3.ino\\sketch\\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino.cpp.o"
T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\eram_spiffs_partv3\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino: In function 'void setup()':
T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\eram_spiffs_partv3\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino:53:37: error: no matching function for call to 'extRAM_t4::begin(uint8_t&, uint8_t&)'
     eRAM.begin(config, spiffs_region);
                                     ^
In file included from T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\eram_spiffs_partv3\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino:13:0:
T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.h:73:10: note: candidate: int8_t extRAM_t4::begin(uint8_t)
  int8_t  begin(uint8_t _config);
          ^
T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.h:73:10: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 2 provided
T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\eram_spiffs_partv3\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino:64:35: error: no matching function for call to 'extRAM_t4::begin(uint8_t&, uint8_t&)'
   eRAM.begin(config, spiffs_region);
                                   ^
In file included from T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\examples\eram_spiffs_partv3\eram_spiffs_partv3.ino:13:0:
T:\tCode\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.h:73:10: note: candidate: int8_t extRAM_t4::begin(uint8_t)
  int8_t  begin(uint8_t _config);
          ^

//...

I didn't find a FLASH_ONLY SPIFFS example - created one :: github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram/tree/master/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/examples/flashtest7Fl
>> Very Simple - I just pulled all the ERAM test direct addressing tests and options - maybe too many … was anxious to see it work.

Grab the whole ZIP for : github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram

Extract to sketchbook\libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4 the : github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram/tree/master/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4

Extract to sketchbook\libraries\SPIFFS the : github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram/blob/master/test/SPIFFStest.zip

Getting there … :: SPIFFStest.zip Copy the zip to your libraries folder

That is in :: github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram/blob/master/test/SPIFFStest.zip

Copied as:: "...\libraries\SPIFFS"

I downloaded that, deleted the other spiffs, extRAM_SPIFFS_t4, and extRAM_tr directories. The example spiffstest_internal_flash seems to work. Thanks.

I do get the following message, which I ignored:
Code:
WARNING: library SPIFFStest claims to run on Teensy architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on avr architecture(s).

Double check - 'internal Flash' may be using upper area of T_4.1 onboard 8 MB FLASH ????

for: extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/examples/flashtest7Fl
Added back to call loopTest2 when '2' is entered from SerMon.
>> Press 'y' on start to fresh format the FLASH chip - other or wait 6 seconds to skip
>> Press '2' to write/add another file to FLASH

Unplug T_4.1 with FLASH and on power up the file list shows they exist

Finally found that obscenely old first { ...\libraries\SPIFFS\examples\spiffstest_internal_flash\spiffstest_internal_flash.ino } FrankB FUN example. That does early direct access to FLASH.

This from that code - puts a 1MB image 4MB into the T_4.1 flash::
Code:
const unsigned long _startFS = 0x60000000UL + ((unsigned)&_flashimagelen & ~0x3fff) + 0x4000;

That - from the t41.ld is the onboard T_4.1 FLASH:
Code:
FLASH (rwx): ORIGIN = 0x60000000, LENGTH = 7936K

See posts #260/#262 to get the just updated 'Modern Improved SPIFFS on QSPI FLASH'.

The TEENSY versus AVR error is from the file:: T:\tCode\libraries\SPIFFS\library.properties

It should not read 'Teensy' but :: architectures=avr

That Zip was packed on 15 Februrary before that got edited :(

Maybe there is another way to get the SPIFFS library @mjs513 ?? - it should be non-zip as a FOLDER in teensy41_extram-master on the top level like the others.

<edit> Win Github Desktop acting wrong putting SPIFFS library as top level folder - calls it SSPIFS - and 'no files'

Last edited:
Here is what the internal ram test gives:

Code:
SPIFFS filesystem starts at: 0x60010000

mount res: 0
--> Test Start ...
--> Hello World! What a wonderful World :) <--
--> ... Test Middle ... 
--> --> xxxxxx <--
--> ... Test Middle ... 
--> --> Hello World! What a wonderful World :) <--
--> ... Test Middle ... 
--> ... Test End.

In building flash7FL, I get version skew if I install extRAM_t4. If I install extRAM_SPIFFS_t4, I get some warnings:
Code:
WARNING: library SPIFFStest claims to run on Teensy architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on avr architecture(s).
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp: In member function 'void extRAM_t4::readWord(uint32_t, uint16_t*)':
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:538:47: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
  *value = *reinterpret_cast<uint16_t *>(buffer);
                                               ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp: In member function 'void extRAM_t4::readLong(uint32_t, uint32_t*)':
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:565:47: warning: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules [-Wstrict-aliasing]
  *value = *reinterpret_cast<uint32_t *>(buffer);
                                               ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp: At global scope:
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:650:72: warning: cannot declare member function 'static void extRAM_t4::flexspi_ip_command(uint32_t, uint32_t)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static void extRAM_t4::flexspi_ip_command(uint32_t index, uint32_t addr)
                                                                        ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:663:98: warning: cannot declare member function 'static void extRAM_t4::flexspi_ip_read(uint32_t, uint32_t, void*, uint32_t)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static void extRAM_t4::flexspi_ip_read(uint32_t index, uint32_t addr, void *data, uint32_t length)
                                                                                                  ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:706:105: warning: cannot declare member function 'static void extRAM_t4::flexspi_ip_write(uint32_t, uint32_t, const void*, uint32_t)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static void extRAM_t4::flexspi_ip_write(uint32_t index, uint32_t addr, const void *data, uint32_t length)
                                                                                                         ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:885:50: warning: cannot declare member function 'static bool extRAM_t4::waitFlash(uint32_t)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static bool extRAM_t4::waitFlash(uint32_t timeout) {
                                                  ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:934:71: warning: cannot declare member function 'static s32_t extRAM_t4::spiffs_read(u32_t, u32_t, u8_t*)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static s32_t extRAM_t4::spiffs_read(u32_t addr, u32_t size, u8_t * dst) {
                                                                       ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:946:72: warning: cannot declare member function 'static s32_t extRAM_t4::spiffs_write(u32_t, u32_t, u8_t*)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static s32_t extRAM_t4::spiffs_write(u32_t addr, u32_t size, u8_t * src) {
                                                                        ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:961:56: warning: cannot declare member function 'static s32_t extRAM_t4::fs_erase(u32_t, u32_t)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive]
 static s32_t extRAM_t4::fs_erase(u32_t addr, u32_t size) {
                                                        ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp: In member function 'virtual size_t extRAM_t4::write(const uint8_t*, size_t)':
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:987:27: warning: invalid conversion from 'const uint8_t* {aka const unsigned char*}' to 'const char*' [-fpermissive]
  f_write(fd1, buffer, size);
                           ^
/home/meissner/Arduino/libraries/extRAM_SPIFFS_t4/extRAM_t4.cpp:803:5: note:   initializing argument 2 of 'int extRAM_t4::f_write(spiffs_file, const char*, int)'
 int extRAM_t4::f_write(spiffs_file fd, const char *dst, int szLen) {
     ^
Sketch uses 55520 bytes (0%) of program storage space. Maximum is 8126464 bytes.
Global variables use 82612 bytes (15%) of dynamic memory, leaving 441676 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 524288 bytes.

And it appears to run:

Code:
/shared/arduino/tests/flashtest7FL/flashtest7FL.ino May  7 2020 02:53:01

Enter 'y' in 6 seconds to format FlashChip - other to skip

Mount SPIFFS:
hardware initialized
FLASH ID: EF 40 18 00 00 00 00 00
at 0x 1000000
Mount ADDR 0x1000000 with res: 0
Write file:
Hello World! What a wonderful World :)

Directory contents:
my_file1 [0001] size:38
Read file:

Mount SPIFFS:
Directory contents:

I also did it with erasing the memory:

Code:
/shared/arduino/tests/flashtest7FLx/flashtest7FLx.ino May  7 2020 03:06:29

Enter 'y' in 6 seconds to format FlashChip - other to skip
hardware initialized
at 0x 1000000
Erasing... (may take some time)
Chip erased in 27 seconds.

Mount SPIFFS:
hardware initialized
at 0x 1000000
Write file:

Directory contents:
Read file:

Mount SPIFFS:
Directory contents:

Note, the flashtest7FL had a case sensitive filename typo. The directory is named flashtest7Fl (the last 'l' is lower case), while the actual file is flashtest7FL.ino (the last 'L' is upper case). On Linux, the Arduino IDE doesn't like this, so I just put the file in a directory called flashtest7FL

Of course after seeing this run a few times, I now have Louis Armstrong's It's a Wonderful World running through my head.

Note, the flashtest7FL had a case sensitive filename typo. The directory is named flashtest7Fl (the last 'l' is lower case), while the actual file is flashtest7FL.ino (the last 'L' is upper case). On Linux, the Arduino IDE doesn't like this, so I just put the file in a directory called flashtest7FL

Of course after seeing this run a few times, I now have Louis Armstrong's It's a Wonderful World running through my head.

Opps - did a rename, copy, delete, 'check in', rename, 'check in' and now it is :: flashtest7Fl\flashtest7Fl.ino

Now that you made me look … I see these too for "libraries\extRAM_SPIFFS_t4\extRAM_t4.cpp" :: warning: cannot declare member function 'static ...' to have static linkage

Also:

Code:
SPIFFS filesystem starts at: [B]0x60010000[/B]

That shows the address as running from Internal PCB T_4.1 "FLASH (rwx): ORIGIN = 0x60000000" again.

@MichaelMeissner - @defragster
Wow - again seems like I cant sleep at night otherwise I miss too much :)

First a little history. extRAM_t4 lib was originally developed to emulate the same functionality as the FRAM_I2C library using only the PSRAM chip. Then Frank B put together SPIFFS example that he uploaded in the "test" directory. extRAM_SPIFFS_t4 lib was my attempt to combine the PSRAM lib and the SPIFFS lib into one library. Hope this helps.

Ok so here goes from the top:
  1. eram_spiffs_partv3.ino: That file needs to be deleted its an old test file and since merged into other stuff.
  2. WARNING: library SPIFFStest claims to run on Teensy architecture(s) and may be incompatible with your current board which runs on avr architecture(s).: Ok have to fix that - that's been there since day one. So have to go look - added a library.properties folder to extRAM lib that should fix this
  3. warning: cannot declare member function 'static s32_t extRAM_t4::spiffs_read(u32_t, u32_t, u8_t*)' to have static linkage [-fpermissive] - ok now that you see this message how can I fix it. Was struggling with this from day one on how to fix it. Note: if I fix it get errors and lib don't run. If I leave as warnings it works. So any help would be appreciated.
  4. Maybe there is another way to get the SPIFFS library @mjs513 ?? - it should be non-zip as a FOLDER in teensy41_extram-master on the top level like the other - just pushed it as SPIFFS_t4 (https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/teensy41_extram/tree/master/SPIFFS_t4)
  5. spiffstest_internal_flash.ino - yep that's Franks internal flash test. external flash starts at 0x70000000 which the lib is set up for

Ok - what did I miss on the list.

@MichaelMeissner - @defragster
Wow - again seems like I cant sleep at night otherwise I miss too much :)
Ok - what did I miss on the list.
Morning all...

Miss - Maybe some sleep ;)

It will be interesting to see how much of the init stuff can be or should be done automagically as there could easily be many different configurations of usage.

Like: the default T4.1 with no extra stuff on the bottom, or just external RAM, or just external Flash, or both.

But there will also be a some who use the bottom pads for their other usages.

For example I hacked up a first attempt of a castellated solder on board, which hopefully brings these pads out. Ordered set from OSHPark. Will see if my guesstimation of where the two memory chips are on the bottom, when they come back.

t41_cast_pins2.jpg

Hope this is not too much of a picture here...

@PaulStoffregen
Have a quick question on FLASH and PSRAM. Think there was a post where you said for FLASH you prefer to use it with just SPIFFS and for PSRAM use as extra memory or something like that.

So the question I have would it be better to have separate libraries for FLASH with SPIFFS and use PSRAM to run something like what put together that mirrors FRAM_MB85_I2C lib? Easy enough to separate I think. Only challenge I had is when I wanted to use both at the same time with the initialization.

Morning all...

Miss - Maybe some sleep ;)

It will be interesting to see how much of the init stuff can be or should be done automagically as there could easily be many different configurations of usage.

Like: the default T4.1 with no extra stuff on the bottom, or just external RAM, or just external Flash, or both.

But there will also be a some who use the bottom pads for their other usages.

For example I hacked up a first attempt of a castellated solder on board, which hopefully brings these pads out. Ordered set from OSHPark. Will see if my guesstimation of where the two memory chips are on the bottom, when they come back.
….
Hope this is not too much of a picture here...

Think initialization is going to be a challenge.

Think initialization is going to be a challenge.
Me too!

Again for extra Flash memory, I still wonder if we can or should be able to configure the 8MB flash that comes with T4.1 to maybe reserve something like 4MB to use as something like SPIFS?
Again I can see some interesting usage cases for allowing these devices with reasonably large storage to be able to have simple USB FS, where for example maybe for the Robot I am building, I could create new automated moves on my PC, simply plug in the USB port and copy them down to the T4.1 and then have them available...

Me too!

Again for extra Flash memory, I still wonder if we can or should be able to configure the 8MB flash that comes with T4.1 to maybe reserve something like 4MB to use as something like SPIFS?
Again I can see some interesting usage cases for allowing these devices with reasonably large storage to be able to have simple USB FS, where for example maybe for the Robot I am building, I could create new automated moves on my PC, simply plug in the USB port and copy them down to the T4.1 and then have them available...
Actually if you remember I did a quick test where I did created essentially 2 partitions on the ext flash. It was just a matter of configuring the starting address and the size of the of the partition. So theoretically we could do this. Only thing I don't know would be telling the core it only should use say the lower 4MB for normal FLASH usage?

I would love to see a USB FS set up. Think more interesting is if we could do that with USBHost. I was able to use USBHost with MSC to transfer files from the T4 SPIFFS to the SDCard attached to USBHost port. But would be better if it was set up as a FS.

@KurtE
Just looked at Frank's spitest_flash_internal.ino sketch. This is the part that is of most interest.

Code:
extern unsigned long _flashimagelen;
const unsigned long _startFS = 0x60000000UL + ((unsigned)&_flashimagelen & ~0x3fff) + 0x4000;

void my_spiffs_mount() {

spiffs_config cfg;

cfg.phys_size = 1024 * 1024 * 1; // use 1 MB flash
  cfg.phys_addr = _startFS; // start spiffs here
  cfg.phys_erase_block = 4096;
which set it up for a SPIFFS start address of 0x60010000 but you know me and memory addressing I like a graphic that kind of shows me the addresses for the FLASH:
teensy4_memory.png
So is the 0x60010000 start address at the top of the 2MB or ...

It takes the imagelen of the currently running program into account and alignes the fs to a
0x4000 block.

It takes the imagelen of the currently running program into account and alignes the fs to a
0x4000 block.
Thanks Frank - didn't know what imagelen really was. So basically the amount of llash left is 8MB - imagelen - 0x4000 that is available for SPIFFS if I understand correctly?

EDIT: I decided to incorporate your example into one of the example sketches for the RA8876 (had it handy) and it hangs the sketch after it does a SPIFFS mount and I loose USB connection and have to press the button to reprogram:
Code:
FLASH:  75024  0.92% of 7936kB (8051440 Bytes free) FLASHMEM, PROGMEM
ITCM:   60144  0.00% of   64kB (   5392 Bytes free) (RAM1) FASTRUN
OCRAM:
   524288 Bytes (512 kB)
-   12384 Bytes (12 kB) DMAMEM
-     208 Bytes (0 kB) Heap
   511696 Bytes heap free (499 kB), 12592 Bytes OCRAM in use (12 kB).
DTCM:
   458752 Bytes (448 kB)
-   17088 Bytes (16 kB) global variables
-    1316 Bytes (1 kB) max. stack so far
=========

440348 Bytes free (430 kB), 18404 Bytes in use (17 kB).

SPIFFS filesystem starts at: 0x60014000  [COLOR="#FF0000"](hangs here)[/COLOR]
However it does work with the ILI9488 library:
Code:
ILI9488_t3n: (T4) SPI automatically selected
MOSI:11 MISO:12 SCK:13

ILI9488 Test!
Display Power Mode: 0x0
MADCTL Mode: 0x0
Pixel Format: 0x0
Image Format: 0x0
Self Diagnostic: 0x0

SPIFFS filesystem starts at: 0x60018000

15cddfb5, 60018000
mount res: 0
--> Test Start ...
--> ... Test Middle ... 
--> --> xxxxxx <--
--> ... Test Middle ... 
--> --> Hello World! What a wonderful World :) <--
--> ... Test Middle ... 
--> ... Test End.

Benchmark                Time (microseconds)
Screen fill              615267
Text                     12102
Lines                    154633
Horiz/Vert Lines         51431
Rectangles (outline)     28579
Rectangles (filled)      1486933
Circles (filled)         181859
Circles (outline)        124489
Triangles (outline)      33610
Triangles (filled)       491796
Rounded rects (outline)  55285
Rounded rects (filled)   1626556