Help getting sound samples to play from SD card

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilNagel

I've been doing Ardunio stuff for a couple of years now but still feel like I know less than everyone else. So please excuse how little I know because for all intents and purposes I'm a noob.

I purchased a teensy 3.2 with audio shield along with the tutorial breadboard setup about a month ago. Everything works fine when I do the tutorial but when I try to substitute the songs on the SD card with something that I have downloaded, I get nothing. I want to use sound clips that are downloaded from freesound to Audacity as it shows from this website

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-wave-shield-audio-shield-for-arduino/check-your-files

and then download them onto the SD card and have the teensy play them. Except when I follow those instructions, the sounds won't play. Most of the times when I try, the serial monitor shows the sound clips playing just as fast as they will print. The sound clips are longer than that.

Trying to find answers, I have read many forum suggestions that apparently have solved everyone with a similar problem. I have shortened my file names to 8.3 format and have even used the same names as the test songs, just replaced with my downloaded sounds instead. Same thing happens. I know it's not my SD card (the kind recommended in the tutorial) because when I download the songs from the PJRC tutorial webpage, they play just as the SD card that was supplied with the other tutorial parts.

Another thing I have done was to download the tutorial songs to Audacity, do the changes that the Adafruit website said to do and then put them onto the SD card. Then they don't play. So something that is happening in Audacity (or something that I am missing) is screwing things up.

So I guess my question is, how can I download some sound clips (that aren't tutorial songs - don't get me wrong, they're nice) so that they will play thru my teensy.

Remember, noob here.

Attach one of the audio clips here.

Pete
P.S. FYI: The samples I've used have been PCM signed 16-bit integers sampled at 44100Hz. The tutorial uses 22050Hz but I think that should work.

Last edited:
The files definitely need to be 44100 Hz sample rate. 22050 isn't supported. The Arduino SD lib supports only 8.3 file size, so make sure you use short file names.

To show us your WAV file, first make sure it is a short file. The forum has a file size limit. Then put it in a zip file. If you're using "Quick Reply", click the "Go Advanced" button to get to the editor which lets you attach a file to your message.

Thanks for the reply Paul. I am in "advanced" and see nothing about an editor. Is it in "Additional Options"? All I see there is a check box that says "Automatically parse links in text". Question: I am using explorer as a browser. Could this be a problem?

Under "Manage Attachments" there's a list of allowed file extensions "bmp c cpp doc gif h ino jpe jpeg jpg pde pdf png psd txt xls zip".
7zip is not one of them. Can you create just a zip file?

Pete

Thanks for being so patient and trying to help. When I right click on one of the wav files to convert to a zip file, 7zip is the only option it gives me. I think I'll just pursue a different hobby.

Do you have Dropbox or other cloud storage where you can store the file and then post a link? If so, I'll convert the file to zip and post it here.

I wonder if the restriction to just zip is a configuration thing in the forum. Maybe it can be set to allow 7zip and rar.

Pete

Hi Pete, thanks but I don't have a dropbox or cloud storage. I'm sorry to have been wasting your time. I thought there was a way to close this thread off - I don't want to waste anyone's time on this anymore since there seems to be no way I know how to help you help me.
Neil

Let's try it the other way round. Here's a zip file (I hope you can open it!) of a sketch which plays a free sound effect. The file is 16-bit 44.1kHz stereo and plays on a T4 and should not have any problems on T3.x
Copy the wav file to your SD card and give this a try.

If you can't open the zip file, the sample is here. Download it, rename it to dialtone.wav and copy to the SD card. It doesn't require any extra processing in Audacity.

Pete

Thanks for being so patient and trying to help. When I right click on one of the wav files to convert to a zip file, 7zip is the only option it gives me. I think I'll just pursue a different hobby.
'
Don't give up yet Neil! These little hang-ups are extremely frustrating but I guarantee you it's something simple about the way you are exporting the files. Once you get one zipped and uploaded it'll get diagnosed and you'll hear that oh so sweet sound you have been yearning for. Then likely you will run into another immediate issue twice as frustrating if you are anything like me, but man it's totally worth the effort and the patience. I'm no expert and sounds like you have a ton more experience in this stuff, but I do know I ran into this exact issue and it is extremely satisfying when resolved so wanted to say so. hope you'll stick with it!

Let's try it the other way round. Here's a zip file (I hope you can open it!) of a sketch which plays a free sound effect. The file is 16-bit 44.1kHz stereo and plays on a T4 and should not have any problems on T3.x
Copy the wav file to your SD card and give this a try.

If you can't open the zip file, the sample is here. Download it, rename it to dialtone.wav and copy to the SD card. It doesn't require any extra processing in Audacity.

Pete

I'll do you one better. How about you email me at neiln995@gmail.com and I'll send you the whole thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back