Brain transplant! De-BOSS-ing a ME-70 with a Teensy 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted User

Had too much time today and so I decided to cannibalize a braindead ME-70 I had already thrown into the junk box, because the 'customer service' at Roland prefers to p on users and charge 150 Euros plus shipping to reflash a faulty-by-factory firmware, which can not recover from a power outage that happens just while moving a potentiometer. Not again. I tracked down the Service Notes on the net, but no chance to reanimate the thing without reverse-engineering the firmware.

So I came to the idea of replacing a 11 year old ESC chip with a Tensy 4.0, which I guess would anyway dance circles around the oldie.

The board is better than one would expect:

AK4556VT codec (!)
nice preamp NJM2115V
nice power supply around a BD9850FVM
stereo headphone out with insert detection
stereo line out with mute circuit
6 detent pots and
19 smooth pots on muxes
1 analog foot pedal
4 footswitches
2 switch inputs
5 pushbuttons
14 LEDs and
2-digit-LED display on serial latches

I added some features:

Teensy 4.0 with USB, obviously
a MC34063A and stuff in app note config to provide 9V from USB and limit inrush/charge current to the board's many caps and filters
S-PDIF optical out
a 240x240 IPS with ST7789 over SPI, just because it is cool
two CD74HC4051 muxes to compensate missing inputs for Teensy 4.0 ;)

wires, more wires,
damping resistors (!) on all digital lines
glue to hold it all together

After the patchwire orgy, it just plays extremely well and now I have something to play on with Audio library.

More will follow, if you are interested.
My primary intention was to build a Teensy 4 stomp box pedal from scratch, but this is way cooler for now. The stomp box will follow once the software is complete.
View attachment 19817
View attachment 19818
View attachment 19819
View attachment 19820

The ME-25 is a different device, so if you want to hack into that, you'll have to reverse-engineer that first, or find the "service notes" as Roland calls them or the service manual, as such papers are more commonly called.

Yes thanks I know that it is a much less capable device than your ME-70 which is why I am interested in what you have done with yours - it will be a more efficient approach than reverse engineering another Boss Guitar pedal.

Just taking a wild guess here - you would not have one of the Marshall Code 50 or 100 series amplifiers as well?

If your ME-25 is working, then leave it so.
My ME-70 was FUBAR, see inital post.

Now I've rebuilt all the functions of the original, plus another much better wah, on the Teensy 4.0 and still use less than 14% of CPU time if all is enabled. But the Audio Library just sounds a bit too dirty after some stages of effects, due to 16 bit. So I will rewrite the objects I need with more precision. I am just digging through this. Stay tuned for more.

Ah, just for the amp: I have built a 4xEL34 valve top from scratch, with some ECC92's in the FX section, etc. Something that is really NOT digital.
btw: the Marshall of a band member just vomited his cone as he tried to keep pace...

If your ME-25 is working, then leave it so.
My ME-70 was FUBAR, see inital post.

Now I've rebuilt all the functions of the original, plus another much better wah, on the Teensy 4.0 and still use less than 14% of CPU time if all is enabled. But the Audio Library just sounds a bit too dirty after some stages of effects, due to 16 bit. So I will rewrite the objects I need with more precision. I am just digging through this. Stay tuned for more.

Staying tuned - Class D changed my long-held strong disposition for even-order second harmonic distortion amplifiers forever...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back