Setting up on Linux advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MatrixRat

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

I've had minimal hands-on with Kubuntu long before using Teensyduino and to get on the same page with some questions and observations re Teensy Usb device descriptors etc. am biting the bullet and setting up a Linux PC.

For my first unashamedly noobish question, is there any particular Linux flavor/version I need to use or avoid?

Rat, I am pretty sure any graphical Linux will work.

The device descriptor stuff will make sense in no time.
When I am coding, I keep a small terminal window in the lower corner of one of my monitors running this watch command:
watch 'ls -al /dev/ttyAC*'

That way I can monitor the tty that the Arduino studio likes to reference.
Once in a while, I have to reach for my chop stick and hit the button on the teensy to make things communicate again.

Got it! IDE 1.8.12 and TD 1.5.1. Uploaded blink to a T_2 and a Mega. Special thanks to @Nominal Animal's tool to bash the 49-teensy.rules into place.

Is it possible to set up multiple entirely separate IDE's eg. another using IDE 1.8.5 as I'm working on a device that will not work on later IDE's, and yet another IDE 1.8.12 / TD 1.5.1 that I'd like to use specifically for messing with Usb desc.whatever or is that idea like chasing rainbows?

Meanwhile let's see if I can sniff out some Midi devices...

All the best and thanks again.

Tapping in aconnect -i with Terminal lets me see the range of Usb-Midi I'm using either off-the-shelf or various TeensyMidi and Midix4 devices I've built.

However, watch 'ls -al /dev/ttyAC*' responds with:- ls cannot access '/dev/ttyAC*': No such file or directory

And sure enough I can confirm that /dev/ttyAC* does not exist. The IDE has no problem uploading to T2, T3.2, T3.5 and Mega.

Any pointers, thanks in advance.

/dev/ttyACM* only exists if you select a USB mode (in the Tools menu of the IDE) that includes "Serial".

Thank you. I did not have the IDE running at the time I tried it. Have installed Wireshark.

Have also upgraded Win7 to Win10 and discovered (to my surprise) that my odd mix of old and new Midi interfaces appear to work so will be investigating if the rest of my Synth stuff works on Win10. Looks encouraging and I have a feeling that Win10 is likely to sort some UsbMidi device issues out.

So, I think I'm up and running and totally like how fast the IDE compiles in Linux, thanks again guys for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back