Teensy 3.5 is not recognized by Windows 10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and to Teensy boards. I am having the following problem:
Teensy 3.5 just stopped working with no particaular reason. I made several test with my code and custom extension board for teensy 3.5, which were working for past 3 weeks with no problems. I am controlling 4 stepper motors using TeensyStep, if this may help solving problem.

I'd tested several improvements in my code 2 hours ago and then continued programming with teensy plugged in. After 30 minutes I tried to load new code, but recieved a message like "... press Program button", I did this and nothing happend. After that I figured out that nothing happens if plug Teensy in and out. I've tried several USB-cable. Gone through several suggestions, but nothing changed.. It's just not recognized by Windows 10 anymore. However, I've catched a message from Windows that the device is working incorrecntly 2 times during testing. I just can't understand what happened.

I've gone through these threads before writting here:
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/56821-Teensy-3-5s-stopped-supporting-USB-connection
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/3752...not-recognized-by-Win-10-COM-port-strangeness
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/troubleshoot.html

Any help on that?

Best regards, Nikita

I see the same problem on W10 with my T4. It can be working fine for hours then suddenly won't communicate with the serial monitor. The error message says the port is not available. Sometimes, cycling the monitor on and off, re-uploading, or just start the IDE again will fix the problem. I see it as a flaw in W10. It also happens in W7 but not as often.

I see the same problem on W10 with my T4. It can be working fine for hours then suddenly won't communicate with the serial monitor. The error message says the port is not available. Sometimes, cycling the monitor on and off, re-uploading, or just start the IDE again will fix the problem. I see it as a flaw in W10. It also happens in W7 but not as often.

Well, I guess, it is not exactly the same, because in my case Windows just do not recognize T3.5 as any kind of device.

I had that problem initially when first connected to my W10 laptop. It seemed to be related to the selected port. Sometimes it was a human USB device then it was a serial device at a particular port. I tried numerous combinations then it worked as a serial device. At that time I was using TyTools which confused the issue. Now, I use only the Teensy loader as I do only one board at a time.

Well, some update for the problem. I've catched the moment, when Windows recognizes T3.5, but now in Device manager it shows Code 43... As i understand from troubleshooting there's no universal solution for that? What should I do?)

What version of Teensyduino are you using? The driver for the Teensies is part of that package. Mine gave me strange messages when first plugged in but eventually worked. Paul will have a better answer.

PS
Try this link.
HTML:
https://www.lifewire.com/43-errors-explained-2619238

What version of Teensyduino are you using? The driver for the Teensies is part of that package. Mine gave me strange messages when first plugged in but eventually worked. Paul will have a better answer.

I am using Ardunio IDE 1.8.12 and have installed Teensyduino 1.51.

That's the latest but you might install Teensyduino again. Maybe the driver did not install correctly. Do it without the T3.5 connected and reboot before trying the IDE again. Run the device manager then plug in the T3.5. Watch both the serial port and HID assignment categories to see which one claims the board.

Tried it again, but during the installation it shows, that the USB-drivers are already installed. And unfortunately nothing changed after the reboot. I' am now checking the link you've provided.

Uninstalling a driver then rebooting gives the OS another chance to get it right. This scheme works in many cases of hardware problems. Do you have another Teensy to see if it's the OS or the device that won't work right? In Win10, all sorts of problems are possible.

What I typically do when a Teensy appears to stop working.

Is to remove everything I can from the Teensy... That is if there are lots of IO pins connected... Often times I have it in a socket to some board, or plugged into breadboard. So I unplug it.

I then load up some real simple program, typically blink example. I make sure that Arduino configured for this board T3.5 default USB (Serial)... Then I click on the verify command in Arduino. Once this is complete and the Teeny app is running, I usually make sure that the Teensy app is visible.

I then plug the USB button into the T3.5 while holding the program button down, and then release the program button. Hopefully at that point you will hear a beep and see the Teensy app program the Teensy and see the LED start blinking...

Tried it again, but during the installation it shows, that the USB-drivers are already installed. And unfortunately nothing changed after the reboot. I' am now checking the link you've provided.

Okaay, we are having some progress! I plugged in T3.5, hold program button for 15 seconds, than Windows showed "Istalling drivers for unkown device" and "Device works fine". So, even in TeensyLoader it now shows! However, when I try to load simple blink sketch it says "Erasing..." and than DOWNLOAD ERROR. Any ideas? We are getting closer

Watch the device manager then plug in the T3.5. If it shows up in any category then use the uninstall device button. Unplug the T3.5 and reboot. Start the device manager and try again. If W10 sees the device it will install a driver it thinks is best. However, if it never sees the device then you can't do any of the above steps. The link I posted is your only hope, or another Arduino. Another Arduino will show you that W10 is not totally brain dead.

Watch the device manager then plug in the T3.5. If it shows up in any category then use the uninstall device button. Unplug the T3.5 and reboot. Start the device manager and try again. If W10 sees the device it will install a driver it thinks is best. However, if it never sees the device then you can't do any of the above steps. The link I posted is your only hope, or another Arduino. Another Arduino will show you that W10 is not totally brain dead.

I tried to unplug it once again, and than plug in. No devices were found, but right now Windows again shows it as unidentified device, damn. Okay, I unistall it using Device Manage. Trying to reboot my laptop again. What should I do next, what we are tring to achieve?

I'm out of ideas at this point. KurtE's experience may help you now that you've gotten some response from W10 and the T3.5.

What I typically do when a Teensy appears to stop working.

Is to remove everything I can from the Teensy... That is if there are lots of IO pins connected... Often times I have it in a socket to some board, or plugged into breadboard. So I unplug it.

I then load up some real simple program, typically blink example. I make sure that Arduino configured for this board T3.5 default USB (Serial)... Then I click on the verify command in Arduino. Once this is complete and the Teeny app is running, I usually make sure that the Teensy app is visible.

I then plug the USB button into the T3.5 while holding the program button down, and then release the program button. Hopefully at that point you will hear a beep and see the Teensy app program the Teensy and see the LED start blinking...

The problem is that T3.5 does not show up as a proper device, so I can't hear that USB In and out sounds...

The problem is that T3.5 does not show up as a proper device, so I can't hear that USB In and out sounds...
As the USB is controlled by the T4 processor and IF something is really screwed up in the code, which crashes it or totally hangs it out to dry, than system may not see the Teensy.
Holding the program button down while plugging it in, leaves the board with the bootloader chip in control, which hopefully allows it to reprogram the processor.

I am also trying to remember if the T3.5 has a restore to default option in the bootloader. I think it does, but trying to remember just how long you need to hold down the program button to get it. Nice with the T4, there is an LED light that shows you...

Well, I've managed to get "Uknown device" again. This is what Teensy Loader shows:
Code:
17:32:58.181 (post_compile 1): Begin, version=1.51, high-res time
17:32:58.377 (loader): Teensy Loader 1.51, begin program
17:32:58.456 (loader): File "Blink.pde.hex". 15116 bytes, 3% used
17:32:58.474 (loader): Listening for remote control on port 3149
17:32:58.475 (loader): initialized, showing main window
17:32:58.498 (loader): remote connection 1360 opened
17:32:58.499 (post_compile 1): Sending command: comment: Teensyduino 1.51 - WINDOWS (teensy_post_compile)
17:32:58.500 (loader): remote cmd from 1360: "comment: Teensyduino 1.51 - WINDOWS (teensy_post_compile)"
17:32:58.501 (loader): remote cmd from 1360: "status"
17:32:58.506 (loader): HID/win32:  vid:0000 pid:0000 ver:0001
17:32:58.507 (loader): HID/win32:  vid:046D pid:C534 ver:2901
17:32:58.508 (loader): HID/win32:  vid:046D pid:C534 ver:2901
17:32:58.508 (loader): HID/win32:  vid:046D pid:C534 ver:2901
17:32:58.509 (loader): HID/win32:  vid:046D pid:C534 ver:2901
17:32:58.510 (loader): HID/win32:  vid:04F3 pid:303E ver:0003
17:32:58.510 (loader): remote cmd from 1360: "dir:C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\"
17:32:58.510 (post_compile 1): Status: 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\, Blink.pde.hex
17:32:58.510 (post_compile 1): Sending command: dir:C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\
17:32:58.511 (loader): remote cmd from 1360: "file:Blink.pde.hex"
17:32:58.511 (post_compile 1): Sending command: file:Blink.pde.hex
17:32:58.528 (loader): File "Blink.pde.hex". 15116 bytes, 3% used
17:32:58.537 (loader): remote cmd from 1360: "status"
17:32:58.538 (loader): remote cmd from 1360: "auto:on"
17:32:58.539 (post_compile 1): Status: 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\, Blink.pde.hex
17:32:58.539 (post_compile 1): Sending command: auto:on
17:32:58.540 (post_compile 1): Disconnect
17:32:58.550 (loader): remote connection 1360 closed
17:32:58.675 (post_compile 2): Begin, version=1.51, high-res time
17:32:58.677 (loader): remote connection 1364 opened
17:32:58.677 (loader): remote cmd from 1364: "comment: Teensyduino 1.51 - WINDOWS (teensy_post_compile)"
17:32:58.677 (post_compile 2): Sending command: comment: Teensyduino 1.51 - WINDOWS (teensy_post_compile)
17:32:58.678 (loader): remote cmd from 1364: "status"
17:32:58.678 (loader): remote cmd from 1364: "dir:C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\"
17:32:58.679 (post_compile 2): Status: 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\, Blink.pde.hex
17:32:58.679 (post_compile 2): Sending command: dir:C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\
17:32:58.679 (post_compile 2): Sending command: file:Blink.pde.hex
17:32:58.679 (loader): remote cmd from 1364: "file:Blink.pde.hex"
17:32:58.690 (loader): File "Blink.pde.hex". 15116 bytes, 3% used
17:32:58.698 (loader): remote cmd from 1364: "status"
17:32:58.699 (post_compile 2): Status: 1, 1, 0, 0, 0, 0, C:\Users\Asus\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_198825\, Blink.pde.hex
17:32:58.699 (post_compile 2): Disconnect
17:32:58.710 (loader): remote connection 1364 closed
17:32:58.710 (post_compile 3): Running teensy_reboot: "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\..\tools\teensy_reboot.exe" teensy_reboot.exe "-board=TEENSY35" "-port=usb:0/140000/0/3" "-portlabel=(null)" "-portprotocol=(null)"
17:32:58.711 (loader): remote connection 1368 opened
17:32:58.740 (reboot 4): Begin, version=1.51, high-res time
17:32:58.740 (reboot 4): location = usb:0/140000/0/3
17:32:58.740 (reboot 4): portlabel = (null)
17:32:58.740 (reboot 4): portprotocol = (null)
17:32:58.740 (reboot 4): LoadLibrary cfgmgr32 ok
17:32:58.740 (reboot 4): LoadLibrary ntdll ok
17:32:58.742 (reboot 4): nothing new, skipping HID & Ports enum
17:32:58.743 (loader): remote connection 1372 opened
17:32:58.744 (reboot 4): Disconnect
17:32:58.755 (loader): remote connection 1372 closed
17:32:58.757 (loader): remote connection 1368 closed
17:33:15.346 (loader): Verbose Info event
17:33:27.037 (ports 5): WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVICEARRIVAL
17:33:27.037 (ports 5): nothing new, skipping HID & Ports enum
17:33:27.038 (loader): remote connection 1368 opened
17:33:27.052 (ports 5): WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVICEREMOVECOMPLETE
17:33:27.052 (ports 5): nothing new, skipping HID & Ports enum
17:33:27.068 (ports 5): WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED
17:33:27.068 (ports 5): nothing new, skipping HID & Ports enum
17:33:27.095 (ports 5): WM_DEVICECHANGE DBT_DEVNODES_CHANGED
17:33:27.095 (ports 5): nothing new, skipping HID & Ports enum

Okaay, we are having some progress! I plugged in T3.5, hold program button for 15 seconds, than Windows showed "Istalling drivers for unkown device" and "Device works fine". So, even in TeensyLoader it now shows!

This is a very good sign. It means your Teensy hardware is still working.

However, when I try to load simple blink sketch it says "Erasing..." and than DOWNLOAD ERROR. Any ideas? We are getting closer

Do the 15 sec restore again, so your Teensy is recognize by Teensy Loader.

Then try using a different PC and a different USB cable. It could be a bad cable. Or it could be a hardware issue on your PC. Or it could be some sort of "messed up Windows" software problem. The first thing to check is whether a completely different computer can successfully load code with a different USB cable. If that works, then try figuring out which one of those is causing the problem. Unfortunately with Windows usually experimentation and guessing are the best ways.

This is a very good sign. It means your Teensy hardware is still working.

Do the 15 sec restore again, so your Teensy is recognize by Teensy Loader.

Then try using a different PC and a different USB cable. It could be a bad cable. Or it could be a hardware issue on your PC. Or it could be some sort of "messed up Windows" software problem. The first thing to check is whether a completely different computer can successfully load code with a different USB cable. If that works, then try figuring out which one of those is causing the problem. Unfortunately with Windows usually experimentation and guessing are the best ways.

I can't make the same state again. I plug in T3.5 and nothing happens, again. Tried on another laptop, 6 different usbs, 4 cabbles, nothing have worked. I've done 15s restore so many times for now.
This controller is rather expensive, but it stopped operating normaly with no particular reason, what a pity. I have to finish my project and just have no ability. What else can i try?
Maybe check if Teensy is even alive, than how?

Current situation:
1. I click Load Blink sketch in Arduino IDE
2. Press Program Button and keep it pressed
3. Plug in USB
4. Wait a bit and stop pressing program button
5. Windows shows a new Unkown USB-device with descriptor error. Code 43.

At this point nothing helps: 15 sec, rebooting PC, changing PC, changing cables, reinstalling Arduino IDE, Teensyduino.
Any suggestions?

I saw here, that it is possible to reistall drivers manually, but I have no PJRC.COM, LLC in Ports (COM & LPT). How can I get it?
https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/23616-Code-43-problems-on-Windows

Focusing on the serial "Ports" driver is absolutely the wrong path to take. Please, don't waste your time on that! Always keep the Teensy Loader window visible on your screen while testing. If you look only in the Windows Device Manager, and especially if you are looking at "Ports" (the wrong place), you may miss the HID device appear. The Teensy Loader window is your best way to see if Teensy has reappeared.

After the 15 second restore, and then another press of the button, Teensy is supposed to reappear as a Human Interface Device. The HID drivers are built into Windows (all versions XP to 10), so there is no need to mess with driver install or update. If your Teensy still works, you will see Teensy Loader recognize it after you press the button.

If you can't restore to the point where Teensy Loader recognizes the board (again, using HID drivers which are built into all versions of Windows) then there is no point to try anything else.

Focusing on the serial "Ports" driver is absolutely the wrong path to take. Please, don't waste your time on that! Always keep the Teensy Loader window visible on your screen while testing. If you look only in the Windows Device Manager, and especially if you are looking at "Ports" (the wrong place), you may miss the HID device appear. The Teensy Loader window is your best way to see if Teensy has reappeared.

After the 15 second restore, and then another press of the button, Teensy is supposed to reappear as a Human Interface Device. The HID drivers are built into Windows (all versions XP to 10), so there is no need to mess with driver install or update. If your Teensy still works, you will see Teensy Loader recognize it after you press the button.

If you can't restore to the point where Teensy Loader recognizes the board (again, using HID drivers which are built into all versions of Windows) then there is no point to try anything else.

Okay, thanks for reply, but how do I undestand, that Teensy Loader recognize the board? Should I disable Aito Mode, should I look into Verbose info and see specific info there? Can you dive into more detail, please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back