Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: FFT on Teesy 4?

FFT on Teesy 4?

Is it possible to do an FFT on the Teensy 4? I was reading that the audio library wiring doesn't work to connect ADC(A0) to the fft1024_1.

Yes, it should. Not sure what was at hand when reading about the issues and how it affects desired use?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	20 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	19853

I get this when I try to compile this:
    Code:
    #include <Audio.h>
    #include <Wire.h>
    #include <SPI.h>
    #include <SD.h>
    #include <SerialFlash.h>

// GUItool: begin automatically generated code
    AudioInputAnalog         adc1;           //xy=193,57
    AudioAnalyzeFFT1024      fft1024_1;      //xy=461,75
    AudioConnection          patchCord1(adc1, fft1024_1);
    // GUItool: end automatically generated code

void setup(){

}

void loop(){

}
    I'm not using the audio board. Am I doing something wrong?

Perhaps look at the Audio Tutorial FFT examples on the PJRC site. It seems that is missing some things.

I just watched the relevant portion of the audio tutorial again, and scoured the prjc site for more info on the FFT direct from the ADC, and I don't see anything wrong with my code. The error makes it look like something can't be found in the .h file.

Put an Audio board Rev D onto a T_4.0 - and seeing streaming FFT data going by on USB display.

Using :: ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\T utorial\Part_3_02_Fourier_Transform\Part_3_02_Four ier_Transform.ino

That isn't feeding from ADC data - but FFT on T_4.0 works - in this sample using the PJRC audio board as the auto driver for output. The Tutorial focuses on the Audio board - not sure if that is in use - assumed not as it is not in the posted code?
    Info on ADC usage is showing examples: pjrc.com/teensy/gui/?info=AudioInputAnalog
    Code:
    Examples
    File > Examples > Audio > HardwareTesting > PassThroughMono 
    File > Examples > Audio > Analysis > PeakMeterMono 
    File > Examples > Audio > Analysis > DialTone_7segment 
    File > Examples > OctoWS2811 > SpectrumAnalyzer 
    Notes
    analogRead() must not be used, because AudioInputAnalog is regularly accessing the ADC hardware. If both access the hardware at the same moment, analogRead() can end up waiting forever, which effectively crashes your program. 
    A different pin may be used, but adding it as an parameter to the AudioInputAnalog object definition. 
    For example, to use pin A3: 
    AudioInputAnalog adc1(A3);
    > that shows 'AudioInputAnalog adc1(A3);' differs from the above where no pin is given - so "Audio input needs to connect to pin 16 (A2). The signal range is 0 to 1.2V." - according to that GUI Tool text.

A provided example close to post #3 looks to be :: ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\A nalysis\PeakMeterMono\PeakMeterMono.ino
    > Perhaps seeing that work with these notes will help as it does not use the PJRC Audio Board. After seeing the 'Peak' work it should easily evolve into FFT usage from one of the other examples.

And as indicated in the following there is no "AudioMemory( ## )" from :: ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\A nalysis\SpectrumAnalyzerBasic\SpectrumAnalyzerBasic.ino
    Code:
    void setup() {
      // Audio requires memory to work.
      AudioMemory(12);
    To run the above sketch "Part_3_02_Fourier_Transform.ino" these lines needed to be added - a SD card on the audio board with PJRC file "SDTEST1.WAV" present:
    Code:
    #include <Audio.h>
    #include <Wire.h>
    #include <SPI.h>
    #include <SD.h>
    #include <SerialFlash.h>

///////////////////////////////////
    // copy the Design Tool code here
    ///////////////////////////////////
    AudioPlaySdWav           playSdWav1;     //xy=90,44
    AudioPlayMemory          playMem1;       //xy=94,113
    AudioSynthWaveform       waveform1;      //xy=104,170
    AudioMixer4              mixer1;         //xy=290,91
    AudioAnalyzeFFT1024      fft1024_1;      //xy=461,132
    AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=465,58
    AudioConnection          patchCord1(playSdWav1, 0, mixer1, 0);
    AudioConnection          patchCord2(playSdWav1, 1, mixer1, 1);
    AudioConnection          patchCord3(playMem1, 0, mixer1, 2);
    AudioConnection          patchCord4(waveform1, 0, mixer1, 3);
    AudioConnection          patchCord5(mixer1, 0, i2s1, 0);
    AudioConnection          patchCord6(mixer1, 0, i2s1, 1);
    AudioConnection          patchCord7(mixer1, fft1024_1);
    AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=352,195

Quote Originally Posted by pwd847 View Post
    I just watched the relevant portion of the audio tutorial again, and scoured the prjc site for more info on the FFT direct from the ADC, and I don't see anything wrong with my code. The error makes it look like something can't be found in the .h file.
    No error details were provided. Cut and paste of text from the console would show what that was.

Perhaps it is the error showing here compiling the suggested : ...\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio\examples\A nalysis\PeakMeterMono\PeakMeterMono.ino

Just posted a question about that on the TD 1.52 B3 thread - as that may in fact be not yet supported - but FFT's are working.

Quote Originally Posted by defragster View Post
    No error details were provided. Cut and paste of text from the console would show what that was.
    See Capture.PNG in #3

Quote Originally Posted by WMXZ View Post
    See Capture.PNG in #3
    Indeed it is there once clicked … I thought that was an audio wave form of some sort ( scope or LA ) proving it wasn't working somehow since the code has no loop() there would be no SerMon output.

Anyhow the answer is - indeed T_4.0 lacks ADC1 support at this time:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    No, there were several threads absolut this... as with PWM,
    this is still a missing part in the T4 Audiolib.
    I would help with this, or add it, if I knew a way to clock it with 44.100kHz

Well I have about 24 hours to code my own FFT then. Hmmm...

Any updates on this thread? Is FFT really not working on teensy 4.0 + the audio board?

FFT was working on T_4 - what wasn't working was getting the data from :: AudioInputAnalog adc1;

That it seems was fixed to work in the TD 1.52 B4 release today. Please try and update.

Teensyduino-1-52-Beta-4

"fixed" might be a strong word to use. "experimental" or "alpha" is probably better.

ADC input does work now, but still has many caveats. Among them, it requires another input or output because it does not yet cause the audio library to update.

Well the COMPILE error was fixed … and provided the link to notes about the need for RunTime caveats …

Here is a program which will run on Teensy 4.0 using 1.52-beta4 and gives you FFT of an audio signal on analog pin A2.

Code:
    #include <Audio.h>

AudioInputAnalog         adc1;           //xy=197,73
    AudioAnalyzeFFT1024      fft1024_1;      //xy=361,47
    AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=378,99
    AudioConnection          patchCord1(adc1, 0, i2s1, 0);
    AudioConnection          patchCord2(adc1, 0, i2s1, 1);
    AudioConnection          patchCord3(adc1, fft1024_1);
    AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=265,161

void setup() {
      AudioMemory(30);
      sgtl5000_1.enable();
      sgtl5000_1.volume(0.5);
      while (!Serial) ; // wait for Arduino Serial Monitor
      Serial.println("FFT test");
    }

void loop() {
      if (fft1024_1.available()) {
        for (int i=0; i < 20; i++) {  // print the first 20 bins
          Serial.print(fft1024_1.read(i), 3);
          Serial.print(" ");
        }
        Serial.println();
      }
    }
    This will work without the audio shield present, but I2S output (or any other I/O object that causes the library to update) is currently required. Future versions will remove this requirement. Please understand this ADC audio code is very new and still has many minor issues. But at least you can see we're making progress towards ADC input for audio.

One of those many minor issues is the level. A full scale waveform on the ADC pin does not yet map to a full scale signal coming into the audio library. Removal of DC offset also isn't working well yet.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Here is a program which will run on Teensy 4.0 using 1.52-beta4 and gives you FFT of an audio signal on analog pin A2.

Code:
    #include <Audio.h>

AudioInputAnalog         adc1;           //xy=197,73
    AudioAnalyzeFFT1024      fft1024_1;      //xy=361,47
    AudioOutputI2S           i2s1;           //xy=378,99
    AudioConnection          patchCord1(adc1, 0, i2s1, 0);
    AudioConnection          patchCord2(adc1, 0, i2s1, 1);
    AudioConnection          patchCord3(adc1, fft1024_1);
    AudioControlSGTL5000     sgtl5000_1;     //xy=265,161

void setup() {
      AudioMemory(30);
      sgtl5000_1.enable();
      sgtl5000_1.volume(0.5);
      while (!Serial) ; // wait for Arduino Serial Monitor
      Serial.println("FFT test");
    }

void loop() {
      if (fft1024_1.available()) {
        for (int i=0; i < 20; i++) {  // print the first 20 bins
          Serial.print(fft1024_1.read(i), 3);
          Serial.print(" ");
        }
        Serial.println();
      }
    }
    This will work without the audio shield present, but I2S output (or any other I/O object that causes the library to update) is currently required. Future versions will remove this requirement. Please understand this ADC audio code is very new and still has many minor issues. But at least you can see we're making progress towards ADC input for audio.

One of those many minor issues is the level. A full scale waveform on the ADC pin does not yet map to a full scale signal coming into the audio library. Removal of DC offset also isn't working well yet.
    Paul - this code works on T_4.0 and 4.1 - but as noted elsewhere FAILS on T_3.6 [ using IDE 1.8.12 and TD 1.52 B4 ]::
    Code:
    "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\fat_t3.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\file_t3.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\init_t3.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\utility\\NXP_SDHC.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\utility\\Sd2Card.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\utility\\SdFile.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SD\\utility\\SdVolume.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SerialFlash\\SerialFlashChip.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\SerialFlash\\SerialFlashDirectory.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\Wire\\Wire.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\Wire\\WireIMXRT.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\Wire\\WireKinetis.cpp.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\\libraries\\Wire\\utility\\twi.c.o" "T:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino/core\\core.a" "-LT:\\TEMP\\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino" -larm_cortexM4lf_math -lm
    T:\TEMP\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\sketch\AnalogFFT.ino.cpp.o: In function `AudioInputAnalog::AudioInputAnalog(unsigned char)':
    T:\arduino-1.8.12\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\Audio/input_adc.h:38: undefined reference to `AudioInputAnalog::init(unsigned char)'
    T:\TEMP\arduino_build_AnalogFFT.ino\sketch\AnalogFFT.ino.cpp.o: In function `AudioStream::AudioStream(unsigned char, audio_block_struct**)':
    T:\arduino-1.8.12\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3/AudioStream.h:138: undefined reference to `vtable for AudioInputAnalog'
    collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status