XLR Input on Audio Shield

The shared gain is a great idea. Us the other half of 1k dual pot with the op amp by connecting it from the negative input to ground via another 47 ohms resistor and a largish capacitor (470 uF at least). The feedback resistor sets the maximum gain. Note that you should really use a "C" taper pot here, though a linear "B" works well enough. You could also reverse wire a log taper "A" pot and mark it "Attenuation" but it might be confusing and odd for the users.

The unity DC gain idea is a good one on the op amp.

I've been batting around which taper would be better. THAT suggests reverse audio (log) tapers for the pots, as you note, so I'll start with C (US) taper and see where that takes me.

Because we're multiplying the gains of the two stages, B starts to look promising, as the "squared" curve somewhat approaches inverse log.

I'm going to mock things up and see which taper, and gain setting configuration on the final op amp, provides the most "natural feeling" result. While I can model the outcome to my heart's content, the real test will be how "natural" the gain changes feel when turning the knob!

Just ordered my Teensy 4.1 and audio board 😬 Super excited for this! Shout out to Paul for making these awesome products. 8 MB of flash memory 😮

Good to hear that your T4.1 is on the way!

I've been trying to sort out the gain issue that mhelin identified in my spare moments this week.

So far I haven't found an elegant solution, as the THAT chip really needs a 5k reverse audio (C) taper pot. These are very rare in dual-ganged variants - none of Mouser, digikey and Element14 stock suitable pots (even in larger physical packages).

Anything else (50k is quite common, or A / B tapers) gives a very sharp taper response (see red curve = 50k; orange is the kind of taper we want).

As the final stage gain and this one are controlled by the same pot, the effect is squared - giving an unusably sharp taper (like the grey curve, which has 95% of the gain coming in the last 10% of rotation.)

curve 9999.png

I'll keep playing with it to see if there's different solution, and also hunting for suitable pots.

Sleeping on it provided the answer:

- Go back to a simple switched gain arrangement for the THAT chip 20/40dB.

- The pot controls the gain (0-20dB) of the final stage.

Let's try and finalise things this week - so that you can get your preamp boards ordered!

BTW: I've put the files on my github: https://github.com/palmerr23/audio_preamp

I’m glad the answer came to you over a good night’s rest. By the way I’m definitely in no rush so definitely take your time.

The files and board look awesome on github 👍

By the way, does this circuit have to run off the 5V pin? Just asking out of curiosity. I’m wondering because when I run the Teensy off a battery, I’m concerned it won’t be able to supply the 5V without a boost converter if I am running off a 3.3V battery for example.

There's no real reason why it won't work, but the current draw from 3.3v would be nearly twice that from 5V.

I'll try the PSU modules out on the lower supply voltage and see!

The +/- 12V boost module works OK down to 3.2V with a 100Ma load on one leg.

At 3.0 V input the output is down to 7.5V, which is still adequate for our needs.

I don't have one of the phantom boost modules in hand yet, but it's based on the same chip, so hopefully the characteristic will be similar.

I hope you have a beefy LiPo battery, particularly if you are using phantom - as the current draw may be up towards 300mA @ 5V with a couple of phantom powered mics in use.

Great to hear! I’m so excited 😬😬 Yes, you’re absolutely right about needing a big battery. I was planning on using 1-2 18650 cells and a TP4056 charging module. So for each cell that should hopefully be 1800 mah at a minimum.

Hi Nevin,

Doing well thanks.

Your design is pretty stable for now, (files on my github) and I'll make any changes required if the spec evolves further.

I'm currently distracted with an ESP32 digital power supply project, while still waiting for CS42448 audio production PCBs to arrive from the manufacturer in China.

How are you going with the T4.1?

Richard

Hi Richard,

Ah didn’t realize haha, I’ll get to ordering parts! Sounds like a fun project you got going there. Hopefully your PCBs arrive soon!

The 4.1 is great 👍 Teensys are super fun to play around with. Would you happen to know how to make the output of the audio board balanced by the way? I’m planning on adding two quarter inch jacks to the design to have a left and right output for my monitor speakers. You said it was relatively simple right, just flip one side of the signal I believe?

By the way: I’m planning on ordering a few PCBs online. I’ll send a couple your way once I get them!

Sure, any audio op-amp could be used. Here is a common configuration. It's relatively simple in concept, but needs a reasonable number of components to ensure the circuit is stable and add some low-pass filtering (usually 2-poles).

https://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/385852/unbalanced-to-balanced-audio-signal-conversion

There are specific chips for this, such as the THAT 1606, that allow much lower parts-count solutions.

https://cdn.sparkfun.com/datasheets/BreakoutBoards/THAT_1606-1646_Datasheet.pdf

However, it would be very rare for any balanced input, particularly at line level, not to accept unbalanced inputs.

- Signal to Tip.
- Ground to Ring and Sleeve.

Good to know, did not realize you could plug in unbalanced signals to balanced inputs and expect it to work. I’m just hoping there won’t be a lot of noise, but I guess I’ll see once I try it out.

Do you have any recommendations on any good 1/4” jacks by the way? I think it might be cool to add a pair to the design that connects to the line out left/right at least for my purposes So I can connect to my monitors.

I'd be inclined to do the output connections separately, as on a single board layout, you are constrained to "in one line" layouts and the board would get quite long.

There's really no need for a PCB, just mount them as panel jacks and wire them up.

As for sockets, I quite like the Neutrik NMJ6H series and cheaper copies. They are quite robust and the switching is very positive in action (good strong springs).

Good idea, you’re right. No need for them to be mounted on the PCB. Thanks for the suggestion on the jacks.

I’ll go ahead and convert the .brd to a Gerber file and order some blank PCBs if everything is checking out.

Hope all is well, stay safe!

Hi Richard :D,

I've put together a bill of materials, just wanted to confirm with you if you have the time before going out and sourcing parts. Here is a google spreadsheet of all the parts: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1nKHEGlZ9AKmfKCjHmHDfAbG-x8tU9JVc_4cUeSPy7iU/edit?usp=sharing

By the way, what type of diodes should I be looking for of the 8 required diodes (just any surface mount diode)?

Also anything else I should be looking out for when ordering these parts— such as certain types of parts to get?

Just waiting on the PCBs in the mail now!

Much appreciated,
Nevin

Last edited:
Hi Nevin,

A quick read of the BOM looks OK, but here's one directly derived from the schematic for comparison. (It's from the standard BOM ULP in Eagle). View attachment BOM v4.xls

The diode types are outlined on the schematic:

Code:
D1-4: BAV170VL very low reverse current twin diodes. 
may be substituted by similar components (Ir <= 100nA,  Vr > 50V), 
or with BAT54S twin (half bridge) Schottky diodes 
(better protection, slightly higher noise).

There are several other notes on the schematic regarding the switches, pots, etc

Nevin,

The boards arrived today. Thanks.

When I've had a chance to test the second prototype of the 8 channel audio I/O board I'll send you one.

Richard

Nevin,

The boards arrived today. Thanks.

When I've had a chance to test the second prototype of the 8 channel audio I/O board I'll send you one.

Richard

Hi Gents

This project is of particular interest to me - I'd love to tie it up with a Teensy 4.1 into a pedal based unit - question really is how did the prototyping go?

Thanks
Jon

Post implementation

Hi Gents

This project is of particular interest to me - I'd love to tie it up with a Teensy 4.1 into a pedal based unit - question really is how did the prototyping go?

Thanks
Jon

Jon,

The core and line input amps work just fine. I've had it in production for 6 months now as an 8x8 foldback mixer running out of the effects insert jacks on the main FOH desk.

I run the balanced outputs through network cable (RJ45's) into a transformer isolating unit at the other end, so I have 8 balanced, transformer isolated remote outputs. Some more output level would be useful (see below) for line inputs on the monitoring gear at +4dbM.

It is controlled by an ESP32 Wifi module via the serial line, and has a natty remote touch screen controller. That's another entire project!

The things I would change after using it:
  • uprate the output amplifiers to +12V. There's provision on the master board to route the power (header pin 14), and the op-amps could be TL074s or similar. The op amp gain would be increased by 2.2 (22k feedback resistors, 220p caps)
  • the microphone amps (TS472) turned out to be a bit flaky - it could be that I used some off-market chips during the parts shortage. The TQFN packages also turned out to be a headache to solder in, even with an SMD oven. Sadly, there aren't too many voltage controlled mic preamps out there. I did toy with the THAT Corp preamp/controller chipset, but abandoned it because of cost and complexity.

I'd be happy to share the EAGLE files if that's helpful.

Jon,

The core and line input amps work just fine. I've had it in production for 6 months now as an 8x8 foldback mixer running out of the effects insert jacks on the main FOH desk.
Inititally this is all I would need I think - I want to plugin a Shure SM57 dynamic mic and apply effects and adjust gain

I run the balanced outputs through network cable (RJ45's) into a transformer isolating unit at the other end, so I have 8 balanced, transformer isolated remote outputs. Some more output level would be useful (see below) for line inputs on the monitoring gear at +4dbM.
It is controlled by an ESP32 Wifi module via the serial line, and has a natty remote touch screen controller. That's another entire project!
Ha! I would potenitally need to do something completely different with it for live gigging - probably a neotrellis and a small LCD display all built into a footpedal

The things I would change after using it:
  • uprate the output amplifiers to +12V. There's provision on the master board to route the power (header pin 14), and the op-amps could be TL074s or similar. The op amp gain would be increased by 2.2 (22k feedback resistors, 220p caps)
  • the microphone amps (TS472) turned out to be a bit flaky - it could be that I used some off-market chips during the parts shortage. The TQFN packages also turned out to be a headache to solder in, even with an SMD oven. Sadly, there aren't too many voltage controlled mic preamps out there. I did toy with the THAT Corp preamp/controller chipset, but abandoned it because of cost and complexity.

I'd be happy to share the EAGLE files if that's helpful.

I would certainly be interested to see the eagle files if you dont mind - im more of a software guy :D
Sounds fun to play with the audio library again - its been a few years now and the Teensy 4 is a beast these days.

Last edited:
Inititally this is all I would need I think - I want to plugin a Shure SM57 dynamic mic and apply effects and adjust gain

Ha! I would potenitally need to do something completely different with it for live gigging - probably a neotrellis and a small LCD display all built into a footpedal

I would certainly be interested to see the eagle files if you dont mind - im more of a software guy :D
Sounds fun to play with the audio library again - its been a few years now and the Teensy 4 is a beast these days.

I've put the Eagle files up on my github https://github.com/palmerr23/AudioToy for the two preamps and line amp.

BTW, the XLR connectors go under the PCB.

Have fun!

Back