Accidentally connected +12V to Teensy 3.2 for several seconds; still seems to work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrape

I am using my Teensy 3.2 inside of another system that mostly uses 12V power. I got my wires crossed, literally, and plugged in 12V to my Teensy instead of the 5V regulator output. I turned it on, and something else wasn't working, so I turned it off after several seconds, and then realized what I'd done.

The Teensy 3.2 is connected to the Teensy 3.2 audio adaptor. After this mistake, I subsequently powered the T3.2 back up with 5V, uploaded a new sketch, and listened to audio being processed through the adaptor (i.e. in and out). So it appears that everything works, which kind of surprises me... I would have thought it would be dead now?

Should I be on the lookout for any particular failure indications, or should I assume I just lucked out, and the 3.3V regulator didn't burn itself up in the few seconds it was subjected to 12V, and survived? (I have cut the trace between Vin and Vusb, since I will be using an external 5V regulator, but still sometimes plugging it into USB for communications.)

Thanks,
-Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back