Future Teensies!

I've been pinging the NXP 1170 page - it has not been updated with any new Public DOCS since the teaser released when it was announced.

So even when Paul gets his hands on one to explore the wonders of it … he will be bound to 'say nothing' if what he gets and sees may show updates or true features that can go into his initial planning only.

Until PJRC gets the first batch of T_4.1's shipped and stocked - and the schematic posted - and maybe a few hours off :) ...

I am so not ready to discuss this. After Teensyduino 1.53 (right now we're about to wrap up 1.52) will probably be the time I'm ready.

XFer has a oood point - there is a lot to like with TeensyLC. I like the really low hibernate current - 11-12 ua compared to T35 at 53ua and T36 60 ua.
Also, I have found that TeensyLC can get quite a bit done for $12 and there are many jobs for which it is fast enough.

Does the K32 L2 have at least one DAC?

My wish list for TLC markII would be two DACS and about twice as much ram and pgm memory. Wish in one hand...

Come on, not everyone needs Gigahertz and Megabytes. :)
Most of my projects run on batteries and could use a truly low power Teensy... anyone else?

I need low power AND Megabytes
(but I know, I cannot have everything)

What will be the name of the teensy NXP 1170 with the form factor of 3.6? Teensy 5.0? Teensy 4.6?

Prior thread on this IIRC indicated the size may exceed 7 pins in width ??? with large CPU size and ability to bring out the desired chip features ... and have room to pull those pins from the CPU.

Anything new info is pending/TBD ... re post #5

I don't know about next generation, but in this generation it would be really great if one could buy a teensy 4.0 with the 8MB the 4.1 has. Maybe call it the Teensy 4.08.

Hypothetically speaking, where do you imagine that PSRAM chip could fit onto Teensy 4.0?

Wonder if that was 8MB of external RAM or replacing the current 2MB flash with the 8MB flash of T4.1? Again have no idea of how doable that would be, i.e. are they same chip pattern with same IO pins... or not... As for 8MB RAM, maybe we can invent a force field and have it hover just above the board :D

Audio board interface is SPI. The 8MB PSRAM may work as SPI on those pads? Not seen it tried.

But the T_4.1 pads are specific QSPI ( QUAD SPI 4 data .vs. 1 ) hardware pins not available to the Audio board - or the T_4.0.

Hypothetically speaking ... To support the QSPI on a T_4.0x would take 6 proper pins to pad layout - in place of the SDIO pins on T_4.0 bottom - but that would be a total revamp of PCB and may not fit and leave USB host D+/D- there.

I understand the 4.1 has all that coolness, but all I'm really talking about is replacing the existing 2MB chip with the 8MB from the 4.1. Nothing more. The 4.1 is loaded with features, but for some applications (like soundfont storage in a simple midi playback device) the 8MB is the only reason to go the extra pins and expense. The prices are soo close it doesn't really matter the price, but it would be great to have an 8MB 4.0... er, a 4.08

I understand the 4.1 has all that coolness, but all I'm really talking about is replacing the existing 2MB chip with the 8MB from the 4.1. Nothing more. The 4.1 is loaded with features, but for some applications (like soundfont storage in a simple midi playback device) the 8MB is the only reason to go the extra pins and expense. The prices are soo close it doesn't really matter the price, but it would be great to have an 8MB 4.0... er, a 4.08

Opps - yeah 8 MB on Flash a different question - not assumed 8MB PSRAM ... "teensy 4.0 with the 8MB".

Problem is the Flash chip size. The 2MB T_4.0 Flash IIRC was noted as the highest capacity in the form factor that fit the tight confines of the T_4.0 PCB. The T_4.1 added PCB space allowed fitting the 8MB Flash package.

If reading right for Flash ... 6 versus 16 square MM's ... : 2x3 MM for 2 MB and 4x4 MM for 16 MB

Darn. If only M. Schultz were still around to lay out pc boards. Sadly, the Snoopy dog house technology passed with him.

Sure would be nice to have an 8MB 4.0 tho.

Context:
As many of you know, it is possible to debug those 32-bit teensies by soldering on the bootloader chip (i.e.kinetis kl02z) derivations for SWD (DIO, CLK, RESET) pins and then just set the PTA01 /reset pin on those chip to GND while debugging in order to deactivate the bootloader reusing those pins.

Wish:
Please make available those pads (A1, A4, A7 and B0 in my example) to ease soldering operations to build your dream debug version of the teensy.
The latest (awesome!) 4.1 board is very loaded, I was not even asking for thru holes there, but wishing to have (even small round) pads for these seems reasonable?

Thanks for considering this in future.
EDIT: I forgot to mention that a small smd (open) jumper between the bootloader reset and any gnd around (i.e. close to the bypass cap) would make my day! (imagine a small smd button switch there now easy to solder)

For a future RT1070-based Teensy I would suggest:

1.- A version that allows us to load encrypted firmware, in order to protect it.
2.- A PCB version with castellated holes for surface mounting.
3.- Since the RT1070 seems to have a MIPI DSI port, make those pins available to be able to connect TFT screens for video applications.
4.- Although it would surely be complex, being able to use Teensy with MCUXpresso, since the Arduino IDE is too basic.

Unfortunately it seems that the RT1070 does not have hardware JPEG decoding, otherwise it would be perfect, together with the MIPI DSI port, to make video player applications, although with the power of this microcontroller it is possible that it can be decoded by software to play video MJPEG. Now I use the STM32F769 which are the only microcontrollers that I know of that have both (MIPI DSI and hardware JPEG decoding).

2.- A PCB version with castellated holes for surface mounting. : I'm not in favor of it
And it is already possible to do surface mounting with the current teensy.

Paul asked to wait until final Teensyduino 1.53 is out: he does not want to discuss future models until then.

Please, feel free to discuss any ideas here. But also know I'm probably not listening much right now. Two things are my top priority - releasing 1.53 and making a Teensy 4 bootloader chip available. I'm not going to do much else until both of those are completed.

Back