T4.1 Ethernet board

Hi thanks. So I take it this thing can't be made to work by itself?

I suppose it's an option to use the normal magjack and then run a short internal cable to the back of the neutrik? But that seems a bit messy - what to do with the magjack - glue it to something?

It would be nice for the magjack to have a wider pcb with a couple of mounting holes - I am considering making one myself in fact.. :)

Adding internal cables and connectors seems a bit messy - I am not fond of having more connections than I really need. The keystone jacks look like they would be doing the same thing as my Neutrik - but they look a bit cheap, and I don't see how they would attach to a sheet metal panel? It is intended to be a rugged piece of professional equipment, hence the metal surround is preferred. (Even though it will probably be used with a normal cat5 cable on the outside...)

My only other option is making a custom machined support for the magjack and cutting an exact rectangular hole in the panel - but that will take some time.

If there was an off the shelf magjack that has a proper panel mount, that would be ideal. Or a decent mounting system for one?

As noted in p#23 - if I'm reading the 'picture' right and the notes about no active components: I don't see that as an option - to use the ribbon without a magjack - or cabling punchdown wires direct to Teensy?

I agree that using the MagJack on the Teensy is the only safe way of doing it. The MagJack decouples the Rx and Tx lines from the µController. If not used and the peripheral devices create a shortcut the Teensy is most likely fryed. In my experiments I needed UDP Protocoll and a certain speed to communicate between two controlled devices. Under these conditions direct connections worked. However I changed over to MagJacks as soon as they were available. The ethernet wires are not intended for soldering, and break easily when bent a few times. As usual, it always depends on the individual situation.

Fact is I already started by using the magjacks - but hit a problem when trying to work out how to mount them on a panel... Did anyone think about that when designing the pcb? Sparkfun have a similar magjack which does have mounts on it, but it's not so easily used with the the miniature 6p IDC ribbon connector on the Teensy... :(

SparkfunMagjack.JPG

Fact is I already started by using the magjacks - but hit a problem when trying to work out how to mount them on a panel... Did anyone think about that when designing the pcb? Sparkfun have a similar magjack which does have mounts on it, but it's not so easily used with the the miniature 6p IDC ribbon connector on the Teensy... :(

Pretty sure Panel mount for the ethernet was not considered. It was just a desktop test proof of concept/function that works in that situation.

No those boards don't offer any good mounting options - just a minimal PCB. It is on OSHPark and making an alternate version would be a good thing.

The panel mount shown looks to be usable - it just needs 'an adapter cable' to go from the punchdown connections back to an ethernet cable to feed into the required Magjack.

There may be alternate versions. I recently saw 'wall receptacle box mount faceplates' that had RJ45 ethernet plugs on both sides instead of a punchdown block. If there was a panel mount version like that it would simplify everything.

Teensy4.1 breakout board to Native Ethernet.

I'm making a breakout board with the intention to breakout the MagJack on the same board (to use it with Artnet)
While I wait for my Teensy 4.1 and a MagJack breakout board (to test with the ribbon cable), I started designing my board.

TeensyEthernetNeoPixel v59.png

Here's my schematic that that I'm working towards. (I'm using the officially mentioned MagJack).
Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 12.50.46 PM.jpg
Screenshot 2022-03-03 at 8.09.28 PM.jpg

I wanted to ask the community to review the HW connections. Does it look alright?
Barely worked with ethernet routings before, so pardon my lack of knowledge.
Just making sure if T- (From Teensy) is supposed to go to T- of the Jack and not R- , and things like that... :confused:

Happy to receive some information, guidance, knowledge here.

BR
D

Back