Renaming a board in Windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doon1

Hi all,
I'm new and completely ignorant to coding. I have a working code for my DIY PC game controller now thanks to the help of a couple of members here.
Now what I am trying to do is have my Collective (controller) show up in the device manager with a name different than keyboard+mouse+joystick. I am also building a button box and another controller that will be hooked up to the same PC. I want each to have it's own unique name. I found the usb_private.h in the C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores folder. It has this #define PRODUCT_ID 0x0482 and this #define STR_PRODUCT L"Teensy Keyboard/Mouse/Joystick".
I read in my searches somewhere that I could change those values to name each individual board with it's own unique name.
I changed those values with nojoy. Then I tried adding it to my code as if it were a library. Still nojoy. What am I doing wrong?
Thanks.
John

you may have missed the part where I stated that I am "completely ignorant" with regards to coding. I was able to change the name but not the HID. There seems to be some conflicting information and the discussion assumes a certain level of coding knowledge that far surpasses my own. Is there a dumbed down version somewhere? Also, discussion seems to be focused on changing code in the core folder for the Teensy 3. Does the Teensy LC use the Teensy 3 core?
Thanks.
John

Sorry,
You didn't say you were using an LC - you can't use name.c with it. Try looking at this thread - it seems to give a solution. I've no experience with the LC so I can't do much more than point you at that. If you've a specific problem with any of the instructions given there then ask for help.
You may not be able to save changes to files in the Teensy libraries without administrator access. You can do it by running Notepad "as Administrator",
All the best,
Alan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back