Web site could use a few updates :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone who knows Windows help with screenshots and specific instructions for configuring Windows Defender to not real-time scan Arduino?

I put a "TODO: Wanted... screenshot(s) for Windows Defender config to exclude real time scanning Arduino" placeholder on the website.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html#antivirus_performance_issue

I normally use Linux as my primary system and Macintosh for video, so I really could use a hand on these Windows details.

@PaulStoffregen:

I've made some preliminary screen captures from Windows Defender as requested. I've currently pasted them into a Microsoft Word document, which I then printed to a PDF. I'm attaching that PDF & wonder if that would that work for you to make the PDF available, which includes the series of screen captures & a few words for each step, in case someone prefers to print it out ??

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Attachments

• Configuring Windows Defender to not monitor Arduino.pdf
    253 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
Seeing @defragster's post, I can change the references & names from 'Windows Defender" to "Windows Security" in the PDF if/as needed.

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Reading the PDF - 'App and browser control' - I have that turned Off and it is a different set of settings than the areas I altered.

@defragster: Thanks for the additional input. If I had to hazard a pure guess (as a certified non-expert), I'd say that this is yet another typical example of Windows functionality & control: there are very likely multiple ways to cause at least similar, if not the same, results. What I captured in the PDF are the steps previously followed when Arduino was taking multiple minutes to build my "TeensyMIDIPolySynth" project, & then multiple minutes again to open & use the Teensy downloader app (OK, so maybe I'm exaggerating a little . . . but it sure seemed like multiple minutes !!). Making even minor changes during the development of that project was still painful due to the unnecessary delays !! Updating the (at that time) Windows Defender configuration with the changes as documented eliminated the delays that I was experiencing. Just to be safe, it would probably be best to add both methods/changes to the webpage !!

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Last edited:
So many things added to catch evil code doing nasty stuff - adds overhead to doing any task at hand.

The notes on settings here make perf much better - and in the process I've never had anything fail to run or work. So can't pinpoint what parts cause 'blockage' to execution or function as they haven't shown up here as configured.

Kinda hoping for some help from Windows experts to recommend the best way. It might take some time fiddling & testing?

Today I'm doing lots of long-neglected updates because they take a lot of time. I *finally* finished getting the dimensions page.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/dimensions.html

Slowly going through this thread and other lists of things in need of updates. Hoping for a little help on the Windows stuff so I can put more work into these long-needed updates.

Kinda hoping for some help from Windows experts to recommend the best way. It might take some time fiddling & testing?

I've not tracked a general 'message from windows' or 'failure on windows' preventing function - is there one at hand?
> Failure on Arduino installer versus unZip?
-- > IDE Installer might fail as it would default to the core 'user folders' - and building might trigger a RansomeWare panic if they are 'enabled' for monitoring?
> is it failing on TeensyInstaller?
> Failure on Build or Upload?

In my case I just used the nuclear option - left disabled the subset @KD5RXT-mark saw and then took over the placement of 'such files' onto an alternate faster location as noted in screenshots. Not a sensible setup for most.

- But I also have a working MSFT Surface device where everything installs and runs fine ( maybe slower ) when I use it without doing those drastic measures.

AFAIK those areas only lead to speedup from not having every bit nitpicked, but I'm not sure what specific error/problem results in failure to function as it has not happened to me.

I will do a fresh install on my Wife's machine if there is some way expected to fail. Though I have Windows 10 Pro on possibly all my machines - not sure if the Security interface it different on the Home version - a quick check shows a couple things not likely relvent.

Would it be ok to put these screenshots and steps directly on the web page? (no need to click for a PDF)

I can't tell whose set of screenshots/steps you are referring to. The Microsoft Word document with the original screen shots & steps is too large to upload (1.4M vs 470K limit). I didn't even try to send that format (Microsoft Word doc) before as I wasn't 100% sure if it would be of any use in the Mac environment, where I "assumed" that a PDF would (& it would make it easy for a user to print out the instructions) . . . I definitely was trying to *not* waste your time !! Let me know what you need, if anything, from me . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Hopefully Paul has a post in mind that presented a failure to function. Otherwise my shots were just generic 'where to look' if issues appear ... so not helpful or directed at a problem I haven't seen.

Web could use a prototype of the T_4.1 card backside - explaining the QSPI under pads and Device USB D+/D- etc ...

To answer questions like this :: pjrc.com/threads/63379-Teensy-4-1-unlabeled-pads-where-to-find-documentation

Also related: The USB Host adapter cable: https://www.pjrc.com/store/cable_usb_host_t36.html
Should be updated to say that this works on T4.1 as well.

Which with the pictures showing the RED wire connected to the first pin nearest the USB main connector, would reinforce the order of the pins on T4.1...

Real minor - website discrepancy...
On the page: https://www.pjrc.com/store/display_ili9341_touch.html
Teensy 3.2 and purple test board are not included with this $12 display purchase.
Should now be $15... ;)

Still wish the T4 product page on memory usage: https://www.pjrc.com/store/teensy40.html
PROGMEM Code - Functions defined with "PROGMEM" executed directly from Flash. If the Cortex-M7 cache is not already holding a copy of the function, a delay results while the Flash memory is read into the M7's cache. PROGMEM should be used on startup code and other functions where speed is not important.
Should be:
PROGMEM Code - Functions defined with "FLASHMEM" executed directly from Flash. If the Cortex-M7 cache is not already holding a copy of the function, a delay results while the Flash memory is read into the M7's cache. PROGMEM should be used on startup code and other functions where speed is not important.

And wish the T4.1 page would refer users to the T4 page for memory stuff or a copy of it also showing external memory... But I know you have lots of other stuff to get done!

@Kurt & Defragster - could I talk you into reviewing all the messages on this thread and adding something like "still needs work" or "fully resolved" or "no issue" at the top of each one?

My hope is to start 1.54-beta tomorrow or Thursday, then spend a couple days on website fixes while everyone gets time to play with the first beta. We'll probably do 2 or 3 week of merging stuff, then a week or two of feature freeze leading up to a 1.54 release.

The website needs so much work in so many places. I'll try to do several later this week. Would really help me if the messages on this thread needing work had a little red message at the top altering me to unfinished stuff.

Yes, will look after some of them and edit in place - perhaps add notes to this post ...

Marking them with as approp: * DONE *

defragster pass #1 complete : 3:44 PM 10/20/2020

Migrated to posts to follow ...
=====

p#36 :: T_4.1 card needs a backside image - at least posted on the web to demark the pads and SDIO pin refs to pin #'s as well as the USBHost like T_3.6 and then the new CHIP pads noted there for USB Device D+/D- and VUSB cut trace

p#4 :: Might add link to ? :: https://github.com/luni64/TeensyTimerTool on IntervalTimer page?

This was in p#12 : Interrupts page seems out of date and non-ARM helpful? : pjrc.com/teensy/interrupts.html

p#17 : not done
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_OctoWS2811.html
> No mention of Teensy 4: "OctoWS2811 requires the DMA (Direct Memory Access) engine which is available only in Teensy LC & 3.x."

p#18 : PROGMEM .vs. FLASHMEM and Add::
Memory summary could present EXTMEM info for allocating into PSRAM at compile time

* DONE* >> p#19 : ** github LOADER updated sources - but not the website pjrc.com/teensy/loader_cli.html

p#20 : 'Key Features' table on this page : pjrc.com/teensy/
> Doesn't include T_4.x details summary - like effective EEPROM space etc.

p#32 - Windows Perf Issues? Without a specific case - and not knowing a single cause ... perhaps link the doc pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html#antivirus_performance_issue to the posts here on this thread in case they lead to a solution

Last edited:
Please, put 1 issue per message, so it's easier to mark completed stuff as no longer needing attention.

cross posted :( ... as I finished putting 8 items in one post as it seemed they could be marked off as done in that single post without more scanning / searching. The original posts otherwise are marked * DONE *. Only one 'new' item pulled from p#12 multipost.

... will return to see if 8 more posts needed ...

p#36 :: T_4.1 card needs a backside image - at least posted on the web to demark the pads and SDIO pin refs to pin #'s as well as the USBHost like T_3.6 and then the new CHIP pads noted there for USB Device D+/D- and VUSB cut trace

edit: and ethernet and the central pin row order and function ( vBat, On/Off, ... )

Last edited:
p#18 : PROGMEM .vs. FLASHMEM and Add::
Memory summary could present EXTMEM info for allocating into PSRAM at compile time

* DONE *

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back