Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Teensy 4.0 Schmatic wrong?

Teensy 4.0 Schmatic wrong?

I bought several windbond spi memory chips based on the part number on the schematic; W25Q64JVXGIM however what came dose not match what's on the teensy board.

When I looked up the manual the part number references a package code XG = XSON 4x4x0.45-mm, the chip on the teensy board is more like 3x2x0.45mm
    So what is the actual part number of the chip on the Teensy 4.0?

I am looking to add my own restore program to the memory and the chip included on teensy has that restore part of the chip's memory permanently locked.

And as long as I'm asking I see the new 4.1 has 4 times the memory and a bigger footprint. What's the part number on that one also?

Thanks

I'm guessing the 4.0 chip should have a package code UX = 8-pad USON 2x3-mm ??
    Last edited by bigboosted; 05-18-2020 at 03:07 PM.

Maybe you're confusing Teensy 4.1 with Teensy 4.0.

The schematic for Teensy 4.0 shows the flash is W25Q16JVUXIM.

The schematic for Teensy 4.1 shows the flash is W25Q64JVXGIM.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/schematic.html

Oh! I messed that up. I guess I have some memory chips for the new 4.1

Dose the 4.1 also have a locked restore program area?

Yes, Teensy 4.1 has basically the same restore program in its top 4K of the flash chip.

Why are you trying to change the restore program? What do you hope to accomplish?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    Yes, Teensy 4.1 has basically the same restore program in its top 4K of the flash chip.

Why are you trying to change the restore program? What do you hope to accomplish?
    I use teensy in an outdoor product that is sealed in potting. I don't leave access to the USB. Only can bus. I already have firmware updates by can in place but if an update would happen to fail I want to use this restore program feature to reload a new file via can bus instead of USB.

I emailed you a while ago about this and didn't get a response, I asked for some teensy 4.0s with an unlocked memory chip. I figured you were busy with all the shelter in place and new products.

Maybe it is cheaper in this case to just replace the teensy with a new one. Saves time for development and other resources. Just a suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Frank B View Post
    Maybe it is cheaper in this case to just replace the teensy with a new one. Saves time for development and other resources. Just a suggestion
    That would take all the fun out of it! Not to mention the rest of the stuff the teensy is attached to is very expensive. The other hardware justifies my time in making this device theoretically unbrickable.

I just ordered the correct chips. Should be here this week yet! Thanks for the clarification, Paul!