Linux on Teensy 4.x ??

Anyone running Linux yet?
Thanks,
Best Regards, Dave

If you meaning running some variant of Linux on the T4.x, I doubt it. I would wonder if the T4's memory support is robust enough for what typical Linux wants in an OS, and the 2M flash memory in the T4.0 is a bit tight (8M in the T4.1 might be slightly easier).

If you want to just run code, and not do a hobby project to really learn the ins and outs of the machine, it may be better to go with one of the existing Linux on a chip systems (Raspberry Pi, Pine64, Orange Pi, etc.) that have already done the hard work.

If you do want to do it yourself, have fun. I'm sure you will learn quite a bit.

If you mean running the GUI on a Linux system and downloading code to the board, I do this all of the time on my Fedora 28 system.

emcraft has Linux running on 1060 (and even some less powerful ST chips)
(see https://www.emcraft.com/products/979
They still call it uClinux, but these days its really Linux mainline kernel variant.
Quite useful for many applications!
Anybody working on it yet??

A quick question. What are the memory requirements?

Edit: I think I found what makes uClinux possible on the i.MX RT1060 EVK evaluation board:

Processor
MIMXRT1062DVL6A processor
Memory

256 Mb SDRAM memory
512 Mb Hyper Flash
64 Mb QSPI Flash
TF socket for SD card

Display and Audio

Parallel LCD connector
Camera connector
Audio codec
4-pole audio headphone jack
External speaker connection
Microphone
S/PDIF connector

Connectivity

Micro USB host and OTG connectors
Ethernet (10/100M) connector
CAN transceiver
Arduino® interface

I think for linux you need a mmu. So you can only go with uClinux which does not need one. I would go with raspberry pi, maybe zero. I have some and they run good under raspian. The issue with "linux" would be, that the besides the mmu issue you need drivers for everything. So if there are none, you can write one on your own or doesn't happen.

Besides what's possible, i have a working PDP11/40 emulator on Teensy 4 running V6 Research Unix, but that's not what you want i guess.

I think not, last I worked on a PDP-11 was 1978 IIRC...
Understand about MMU/uCLinux.
Assuming the extra RAM is populated on Teensey 4.1,
17MB (or 9MB) is way more than what we ran Linux on in the early days (386 IIRC)...

Back