Teensy 3 Encoder Lib

Status
Not open for further replies.
bberger,

Have a look at this high performance SPI Quadrature decoder chip that I used very successfully in the past.
One advantage, is that it completely relieves the Micro-controller from monitoring the encoders. When ever you poll it, the current value is there.

There are several variants, but here is a link to the data sheet for the one I used: http://www.lsicsi.com/pdfs/Data_Sheets/LS7366R.pdf

The biggest problem, is that they only seem to be available direct from the manufacturer, with a minimum order of 10.

I just bought a Teensy 3.1, and I'm trying to use the interrupt-based Encoder library (with the mods supplied by Paul in post #2). I'm using this on a small robot I'm building, and hooking it up to 2 & 3. I'm using this encoder (http://www.pololu.com/product/2590) hooked up to their 100:1 gearmotor, and hooking it up to my logic analyzer and running the motor direct from a 7.4 volt battery, I'm seeing a very nice square sin wave on both A & B, at about 3.0 kHz each, offset 90 degrees.

Encoder-Logic.png

I assume this is well within the capabilities of using the interrupt based encoders.

I had to add the following to direct_pin_read.h (after making the change in post 2):

Code:
#if defined(__AVR__) || defined(__MK20DX128__) || defined(__MK20DX256__)

as I assume the chip on the 3.1 is a __MK20DX256__

I'm not getting any useful data out of the encoder. I'm using the following code:

Code:
/* Encoder Library - Basic Example
 * [url]http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_libs_Encoder.html[/url]
 * This example code is in the public domain.
 */

#include <Encoder.h>

const int ledPin = 13;

// Change these two numbers to the pins connected to your encoder.
//   Best Performance: both pins have interrupt capability
//   Good Performance: only the first pin has interrupt capability
//   Low Performance:  neither pin has interrupt capability
Encoder myEnc(2, 3);
//   avoid using pins with LEDs attached

void setup() {
  pinMode(ledPin, OUTPUT);
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(1000);                  // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // set the LED off

Serial1.begin(57600);
  Serial1.println("Basic Encoder Test 2:");
}

long oldPosition  = -999;

void loop() {
  long newPosition = myEnc.read();
  if (newPosition != oldPosition) {
    oldPosition = newPosition;
    Serial1.println(newPosition);
  }
  digitalWrite(ledPin, HIGH);   // set the LED on
  delay(100);                  // wait for a second
  digitalWrite(ledPin, LOW);    // set the LED off
  delay(900);                  // wait for a second
}

I added to LED blink code to make sure it was actually running (which it is). I'm using an FT232 hooked up to pins 0 & 1 for logging. I get the same non-results on the output console regardless of whether the LED code is there or not.

I spin the motor by hand, and the encoder has a 5-spoke wheel on it, so that generates a roughly 400-500 Hz signal. I got the following output:

Code:
Basic Encoder Test 2:
I get the same output when I turn on the motor and drive it that way.

Does the interrupt-driven encoder code work on the Teensy 3.1 at all?

- Jon

I figured it out - its the INPUT_PULLUP that is the issue, perhaps only with this specific encoder. I changed lines 73 and 74 from Encoder.h as follows:

Code:
#ifdef INPUT_PULLUP
pinMode(pin1, INPUT);
pinMode(pin2, INPUT);
#else

and now it works perfectly.

- Jon

Hardware encoder working ... sort of

I'm interested in reading a fast (200 kHz, okay I guess that's not that fast) quadrature encoder (US Digital E4P) on a motor I have while doing a bunch of other stuff with the Teensy, including reading 4 much slower encoders with the software library. Cruising around the nets I found this Freescale application note that helped immensely -- I was basically able to copy their example while looking at the datasheets for microcontroller on the Teensy 3.0.
http://cache.freescale.com/files/32bit/doc/app_note/AN4381.pdf

Here's what I came up with to test -- it seems to work when hooked up to my encoder through a level shifter, with the exception that it rolls over to 0 after 49151, whereas I would have expected it to roll over at 2^16 based on the 16-bit counter. Not sure why this is, but haven't looked too close yet. Really all I've looked at is that when I turn one way, the counter goes up, other way, goes down. Haven't yet checked for proper 1-to-1 counting.
Code:
#define SIM_SCGC6_FTM1_MASK    0x20000000
#define FTM_MODE_FTMEN_MASK    0x00000001
#define FTM_CONF_BDMMODE_3     0x000000C0
#define FTM_QDCTRL_QUADEN_MASK 0x00000001
#define FTM_SC_CLKS_3          0x00000018

void setup() {
  // enable the clock for FTM1
  SIM_SCGC6 |= SIM_SCGC6_FTM1_MASK;
  // enable FTM1
  FTM1_MODE |= FTM_MODE_FTMEN_MASK;
  // set the counter to run in debug mode, not really necessary
  FTM1_CONF |= FTM_CONF_BDMMODE_3;
  // set the counter initial value
  FTM1_CNTIN = 0;
  // set the FTM for quadrature mode, default options
  FTM1_QDCTRL |= FTM_QDCTRL_QUADEN_MASK;
  // start the FTM by selecting external clock
  FTM1_SC |= FTM_SC_CLKS_3;
  // configure the input pins
  PORTA_PCR12 = PORT_PCR_MUX(7);  // Teensy pin 3
  PORTA_PCR13 = PORT_PCR_MUX(7);  // Teensy pin 4

// initialize serial
  Serial.begin(115200);
  Serial.println("Hardware Encoder Test");
}

void loop() {
  Serial.println(FTM1_CNT);
  delay(500);  
}
P.S. This is my first ever Teensy sketch! Is there any way to access the register masks referenced in the application note as opposed to defining them myself?

Many are in mk20dx128.h which is deep inside the Arduino directory. On a Mac, that's:
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/teensy/cores/teensy3

For Teensy 3.1, it is mk20dx256.h

There are several variants, but here is a link to the data sheet for the one I used: http://www.lsicsi.com/pdfs/Data_Sheets/LS7366R.pdf
Good find! The LS7766DO also looks very interesting - it handles dual quadrature encoders. I have requested a sample. My robot, W.A.L.T.E.R. has quadrature encoders on both motors, so I have an application for this chip.

Update: My sample request has been accepted, and I will be getting two LS7766DO parts. :)

8-Dale

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back